Unusual Logbooks

JL_HSTRE

From the Guidelines:

For all physical caches, there must be a logbook for geocachers to record their visit. The logbook must be:

• Physical
  • Replaceable
  • Easy to sign
  • Enclosed within a container

Examples: Notebook, paper scroll.

Most geocache physical logs are pretty straightforward: classically a small notebook of some kind if the container can hold one, otherwise a folded or rolled piece of paper (often in a small ziplock or other inner container to promote dryness). There are various minor variations on this. Notepads, oversized logsheets in large containers, loose scraps of paper, makeshift logsheets from an old receipt. Rite In Rain paper being probably the best variant. But none of these is really that different from the others. As long as they're in decent condition, pretty much any pen or pencil will be sufficient to sign.

Has anyone seen unorthodox i.e. non-paper logs used in geocaches?

The only example I can think of is a certain a prolific hider that has taken to using pink surveyor tape for his logsheets since they are essentially waterproof. I'm not sure that classifies as "easy to sign" since many pens don't mark it effectively; you really need a Sharpie.

I've signed a wooden "log" (in an ammo can, and part of the hollowed stump), a couple of t-shirts, a divers slate,  a metal sign blank,  and a roll of tyvek. 

None that I know of are still in play.  IIRC the metal sign got zapped shortly after I FTF it, because it didn't have a container.

We signed a lot of odd stuff at events, but we didn't need to sign them...   :)

One of my hides, The Other Birthplace of Federation, is themed on the birth of the Australian federation so I used a printout of the Australian Constitution as the logbook - thankfully it's a relatively short document of about 30 pages.

DSC_0032.jpg.919eb6653dfa15eee162d0447ced82ff.jpg

At the end of the document I replaced the official Oath and Affirmation with the Geocacher's Creed:

Oath.jpg.a808aabfdc54dda3c166ad4503bd0cf3.jpg

Following that are the signatories to the constitution which is where the finders sign.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

Probably the strangest log that we've encountered (As far as I can remember) was a wooden dowel. It was one of those bottle puzzles where you have to use a marble to unscrew a bolt in order to the dowel out. I believe it's called a Grecian Bottle Puzzle. 

Edited by TmdAndGG

Events allow for some added creativity, and I've done some different things for my Fish Fry events.  I have used a three-foot-long catfish pillow, a flounder-shaped platter, a box which held the fish in the store, a fish-shaped poster, among a few other fish-themed ideas.

In one cache themed to the "Toilet Paper Shortage", the log is the cardboard center from a roll of TP.

• Funny 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, K13 said:

Events allow for some added creativity, and I've done some different things for my Fish Fry events.  I have used a three-foot-long catfish pillow, a flounder-shaped platter, a box which held the fish in the store, a fish-shaped poster, among a few other fish-themed ideas.

In one cache themed to the "Toilet Paper Shortage", the log is the cardboard center from a roll of TP.

You're going to write THAT post and not give us any photos???  C'mon!  Give!

4 hours ago, K13 said:

I wasn't there, but I read about a "cache workshop" event where the log was an ammo can. The ammo can was then raffled off at the end of the event.

On 9/19/2020 at 8:28 PM, JL_HSTRE said:

From the Guidelines:

For all physical caches, there must be a logbook for geocachers to record their visit. The logbook must be:

• Physical
  • Replaceable
  • Easy to sign
  • Enclosed within a container

You can add two log possibilities. The "official guideline" logbook in a box for those who just want the find. And a special logbook of any kind for others who are happy to see something special.

For example I own a metal sign high up in a climbing tree. While doing the multi cache the cachers find an UV marker to sign it. There's a normal box next to the sign for those who want a normal logbook - so far no one wanted. (The UV logs fit to the main theme of the puzzle, it's an unknown cache with multi cache part outside.)

I am using a white belt as logbook in one of my caches as this fits to the background story of the multi cache. This one fits into the ammo box very well.

At my first event I was the logbook itself. The cachers had to sign my (well-trained ;-)) body. That was fun - until I had to remove it later that night. :-)

There are so many possibilities and the mentioned are only those who I own - and I am not the most creative. I have seen many more. Be creative yourself, you can use almost anything. ;-)