Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
HerbieFlowers

More Adventure Labs?

In my very humble opinion - I think that 2020 could be the year of the Adventure Lab Cache. In these trying and challenging times, these have really taken off; at least that is my perception. These "virtual" caches give people the opportunity to go out and cache in relatively safety. For myself, I much prefer these to conventional caches at present.

Whilst they still seem to be in Beta phase - in continuing development, I see a great future for them. I hope to see many more appear in the coming months.

However - I do think they need to be controlled, if only to avoid saturation. Never-the-less there is still plenty of space.

• Upvote 3
  • Surprised 3

I do like them.... but I agree that limits need to be imposed for saturation reasons. If they tweaked them to allow off-line play, then some might head out into the bush/forests and this could help from a saturation standpoint.....

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, lee737 said:

I do like them.... but I agree that limits need to be imposed for saturation reasons. If they tweaked them to allow off-line play, then some might head out into the bush/forests and this could help from a saturation standpoint.....

Yes, it'd also make them a bit more, well, adventurous. There are some great places in national parks where the virtual nature of ALs would make them ideal except there's no phone coverage. I was lucky with mine in Bouddi National Park that at the five locations I'd picked I had reasonable signal but elsewhere along the way there's nothing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Yes, it'd also make them a bit more, well, adventurous.

Exactly.... we've been 'awarded' another AL, everytime I come up with something I'd like I have to seriously wonder if it will be feasible with probable limited reception in those areas.....

• Upvote 1

I moved this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum.

Yeah though I'd think that with any move to make them offline there'd need to be some other update to reduce 'hacking' or increase owner ability to police logs, or we'll be back at square one when unrestrained couch logging was rampant. =/

On 9/19/2020 at 6:14 PM, lee737 said:

If they tweaked them to allow off-line play, then some might head out into the bush/forests and this could help from a saturation standpoint.....

I've just returned from doing a new AL around the township of Brooklyn. The first two locations were interesting spots along the way in and I was expecting more of the same for the rest of it but the remaining three were all bunched together in the centre of town. I wondered why until going for a walk along the waterfront and up to the lookout on the hill, when I realised that, with my provider at least (Optus), the only phone coverage there is right in the centre of town.