What are these icons on the map?

SamLowrey

51 minutes ago, SamLowrey said:

The legend I'm seeing doesn't have it.  They look like little men.  It is a golf course.  I thought that might signify the tee-off areas ("Obviously, you're not a golfer")  But there are more than 18 by far (not all show with this view.) 

geocaching-map.png

It's an icon of a man swinging a golf club.  There are many features on a golf course, such as fairways, greens, and bunkers.  Maybe a map maker went crazy identifying features?

16 hours ago, SamLowrey said:

If you zoom in real close and squint it kind looks like someone on their backswing.  Guess two are in the sand traps here.  LOL!

Maybe someone did that because that course is so spread out.  To show where the course is.  Yeah, maybe the icons are on certain features.

It's strange, because another golf course in that area has just one icon, with the title.  The icon seems to just mean "Golf Course".

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2

In Open Street Maps, the golf course is tagged once and each of the 18 holes are noted. On each hole, the different tee boxes are called out as are the sand traps and each green as a feature in Open Street Maps. It looks like either GC's processing is adding an icon to each element or it's not an option for them to ignore certain elements. Not sure the sand traps, tee boxes and greens need to be called out. it would be plenty for the course and maybe each hole. 

In Open Street Maps, different editors could tag courses differently, but at least for this one in question, and how GC is handling it, each feature is triggering its own icon. 

Edited by Team DEMP
  • Helpful 1

It's OpenStreetMap, and can be abbrv't'd OSM. 

It mystifies me why this Groundspeak version of OSM shows golf course details*, but not parking lots or forbidden-access tags. It's a quirky style, likely off-the-shelf. 

BTW, some OSM contributors put exceptional effort into golf courses, I think to support golf-simulator apps. It's a fascinating ecosystem... 

* EDIT: on investigation, I see that tee, bunker, and green (maybe more?) are all mapped with that icon.  And amusingly here, there are two versions of the creek.  :lol:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/30.4649/-97.8545

Edited by Viajero Perdido