Is there a way to know if a message i sent was read?

njsk8rdan

8 minutes ago, njsk8rdan said:

I see that the CO I messaged has logged on since I sent the message a few months ago. I checked my messages and no reply but I have no idea if they even saw it. 

I think you can only tell if YOU read a waiting message, by the yellow dot disappearing.

If there's another way to contact the CO, you might try that.  On the Profile page, you may be able to "Send Message" and "Send Email".  If it's better as a cache log (container lid was cracked or whatever), a log might take care of it.

Sometimes I meet a CO in person at an Event and ask.  They usually say they replied.  Um, you know, with no actual text in the "reply".  :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, kunarion said:

If there's another way to contact the CO, you might try that.  On the Profile page, you may be able to "Send Message" and "Send Email".  If it's better as a cache log (container lid was cracked or whatever), a log might take care of it.

Ah, on the website there is an email link, I'll try that. Thanks.

I did do a write note on the cache page "I checked and it's still there" when someone gave it a NM after they DNF'd. It's a unique guardrail cache. Took me a while to find it. It's had at least twice as many finds as DNF's since then, but local Reviewer has been archiving a lot lately. I think that's a good thing, but I don't want to see this get archived just because people are expecting to find a pill bottle stuffed in to the end of a guardrail. The 3.0 difficulty rating should be clue but I didn't notice that either when I first looked it. So I DM'd the CO about adopting it because they hadn't been active in awhile. At least if I could tell the message was read the answer was probably "No".

3 minutes ago, njsk8rdan said:

Ah, on the website there is an email link, I'll try that. Thanks.

I did do a write note on the cache page "I checked and it's still there" when someone gave it a NM after they DNF'd. It's a unique guardrail cache. Took me a while to find it. It's had at least twice as many finds as DNF's since then, but local Reviewer has been archiving a lot lately. I think that's a good thing, but I don't want to see this get archived just because people are expecting to find a pill bottle stuffed in to the end of a guardrail. The 3.0 difficulty rating should be clue but I didn't notice that either when I first looked it. So I DM'd the CO about adopting it because they hadn't been active in awhile. At least if I could tell the message was read the answer was probably "No".

There's generally an email notice sent along with a Message.  But it's good to try again if it's been a while.  Some people don't check email very often (as in "several months ago" often).  Or their email doesn't work so well.  A Message should be available in The App, but then they'd need that first.

Plus, some people just don't have time for Geocaching.  If it does get archived, you could see what might be done differently, and set it up the way you like, placing a new cache.  Not every existing cache spot can automatically be available as a new cache, but you never know.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1