Uploading Gif's

Capt. Tortuga

Does the gif add value to the cache page? As in, is it required for the person looking for the cache to be able to find it?

If it's purely decorative, I'd say replace it with a static image. But I'm also firmly in the "least amount of bandwidth possible" camp, I know many people are now on unlimited plans and it isn't an issue. But there are still a significant number of people who need to be careful how much data they use.

One use that I can think of off the top of my head is an animated gif that looks like a static image for 20 odd seconds, then briefly changes to something else (like part of the numbers for the GZ) and then changes back. So the person looking for the cache would need to work out that they need to keep looking at the screen until the numbers they need flash up, or take a screenshot or something. Not saying that that's the only way to use a gif, that's just the first non-aesthetic option I thought of.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1

I have been fighting with this for a quite a few hours.  I have created an animated gif with the location hidden inside. I have now tried this option to host the image on google drive, but get this error when I paste the link into the HTML source code area of the page. 

Remove all images hosted on a third-party website to save changes. Tip: Upload images directly to the cache page with the user-friendly editor.

• Upvote 1