birthday cache

BenRed06

14 minutes ago, BenRed06 said:

hello, i was fuffiling my adiction of reading old and abandoned logs and found one saying it was a birthday cache. what are those? are they considered one if you find it on the place day birthday?

Without more info, it's tough to decipher which is meant.  

Here, it's usually just a "birthday greetings" for a local cacher.  I placed one for a girl's sixteenth.   :)  

Events are often created for another's birthday too.

I've had a bunch placed for me by different people, with everything from a film can at my favorite fishing spot, to a 50cal on the AT.

Or...

Until the last two years (and injuries), we both took off on my birthday  since we started, to hike/cache the day.   

So it could simply be that too.  That (to me) might be more accurate, since you mention logs and not the cache page.

Edited by cerberus1
14 minutes ago, BenRed06 said:

hello, i was fuffiling my adiction of reading old and abandoned logs and found one saying it was a birthday cache. what are those? are they considered one if you find it on the place day birthday?

It could mean different things, but we can only guess without context. My state had a birthday type cache that you had to either find on your birthday or in your birthday suit. Some caches in my area were placed to celebrate someone's birthday.

10 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

It could mean different things, but we can only guess without context. My state had a birthday type cache that you had to either find on your birthday or in your birthday suit. Some caches in my area were placed to celebrate someone's birthday.

oh i see. ok, makes sense. i find a cache on my BDAY its a birthday cache? RIP. theres 5 feet of snow on my birthday  

• Upvote 1

A birthday cache is a cache you find on the same date of day/month it was hidden. The year does not matter.   Today is Sept 20th, so if you find a cache hidden on 9/20 of any year, it's a birthday cache.  The only "but" to that is, if a new cache was hidden today, ie, 9/20/20, and you found it, you do not get credit for it.  Have no idea why.  I've asked and there is no explanation.  There's a birthday cache grid you can add to your stats in mygeocachingprofile.com.  

Edited by GrateBear
correction
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

I"m aware of two different definitions for Birthday Cache, resulting in two very different challenges. The simple one is what was most recently described by GrateBear - find ANY cache on the anniversary of it's posted placement date. The other is to find a cache with a posted placement date matching YOUR geocaching birthday but commonly this challenge does not add the limitation of the date it must be found. Confused yet?? 

As with lots of geocaching subjects, there are commonly more than one correct answer. :unsure: