Feature Request: Virtual Events

pklong

With the world set to go into second lockdowns, why not do something to keep the Geocaching community alive by introducing virtual events. These could be held over Zoom/Skype/Teams etc. and act as a replacement for actual events until we are allowed to mingle with friends again.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 3

What would that do to country stats? Would everyone be able to create an event in North Korea or join such an event just for the country point? How does the CO make sure that only people who were actually at the event log it? I think events should remain local, and while a logbook is not mandatory for an event most COs still know who came and who is cheating.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
17 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

Then maybe that means there's a big demand for it.

Just sayin'

I'm not seeing posts reaching out to fellow cachers to meet-up for a zoom video chat. Is it because there isn't a +1 in the stats? 

Edited by L0ne.R
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
6 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

I'm not seeing posts reaching out to fellow cachers to meet-up for a zoom video chat. Is it because there isn't a +1 in the stats?

Dunno, maybe you need more friends? I  regularly attend a weekly Zoom meeting with the crew who used to frequent a monthly event, and there's also another ~monthly zoom  meeting for a different group who previously held a different monthly event.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
9 hours ago, pklong said:

With the world set to go into second lockdowns, why not do something to keep the Geocaching community alive by introducing virtual events.

These could be held over Zoom/Skype/Teams etc. and act as a replacement for actual events until we are allowed to mingle with friends again.

You don't have anything online for folks to "keep up with things" now ?

We had a busy website for local folks since 2007, then it went to faceboook in 2010, and still in use today.   

A handful of us still meet for breakfast weekly, a couple daily.  Now that I'm at 70% I go too.   "Social distancing"...

Those meetings and chats aren't for smileys ...  That's what actual events are for.  We can wait.  :)

46 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

Dunno, maybe you need more friends? I  regularly attend a weekly Zoom meeting with the crew who used to frequent a monthly event, and there's also another ~monthly zoom  meeting for a different group who previously held a different monthly event.

Cool. Really nice. How are you hearing about the Zoom meetings? Facebook?

I wonder if the cachers asking for virtual events should start a forum topic for Video conference event invitations (for those who are not on Facebook or other social platforms). Perhaps the OP could answer the question... Is an official "virtual event" forum where you could list your upcoming zoom meetings help? 

15 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

How are you hearing about the Zoom meetings? Facebook?

One was setup via a pre-existing closed Facebook group, so not publicised and limited to small (ish) group.
The other is published on a regional Facebook group, so potentially many people could join that. I get the impression other regions are doing similar things too.

TBH I don't particularly want virtual events myself, and if they were allowed I would only attend those which I would have gone to in person - there's certainly no way I would want to be attending virtual events in other regions or countries, but I see there is a demand from others for it and I can understand that.

This particular request was prompted by a recent discussion in the UK where we still can't have physical events due to the fluid restrictions on gatherings over here, and every time the government tweaks the threshold of  how many are allowed to gather there are questions being asked of "can we have events based on the new guidelines" and the answer is always "No", which prompts a debate and virtual events then get mentioned as a solution and the debate goes on.