Owners "correcting" coordinates

The A-Team

47 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

This has been mentioned before, but it's still an issue and I have a new proposed solution.

Background:

As you probably know, cachers can change ("correct") the coordinates on the listings of some cache types, like if they've solved a puzzle. This is done by clicking the coordinates or the pencil icon beside them on the listing page. The changed coordinates are only visible to that cacher.

The ability to do this was also made available to the owners of the eligible cache types. Whether that was a good idea or not is beyond the scope of this discussion; the fact remains that some owners utilize this feature for various reasons, as was revealed through previous discussions.

The problem:

The problem that many have seen is that some owners misunderstand this feature. When they need to update the public coordinates of their cache, they see that they can edit the coordinates by clicking on them, and they do so. Of course, this does not generate an "Update coordinates" log, nor does it update the public coordinates. Cue the standard "you haven't updated the coordinates", "yes, I have" back-and-forth.

I've seen this occur a number of times, and just saw two more instances occur in my area in the last couple of weeks. Clearly, the warning on the Corrected coordinates feature ("hidden from others") isn't sufficient. The problem keeps happening.

A solution:

The simplest solution would be to remove the ability to use this feature from owned listings. However, as I said above, some owners still want to use it.

My proposed solution is a prompt that would appear on owned listings when the Corrected coordinates feature is clicked. This prompt would provide two options:

• "Update the coordinates just for me" - This would continue to open the Corrected coordinates feature as usual.
  • "Update the coordinates for everyone" - This would redirect the user to the same coordinate update log that you get via the listing edit page (e.g. Edit > scroll to Posted Coordinates > Click "...a log entry")

This way, users can continue to use the Corrected coordinates feature as they did before if they wish, while also completely avoiding the confusion that has been occurring. While it does add one step for an owner wanting to use the Corrected coordinates feature, I suspect that they're doing so rarely enough that this shouldn't be too intrusive. In the end, by resolving the instances where the public coordinates don't get properly updated, I believe the net benefit should be positive.

Thoughts?

Excellent !!    Yes this is a problem that needs a solution, and I think your proposed solution is a good one.

• Upvote 1

A question (because I've never had to do it but have thought about it and couldn't (easily) find the answer):

If I write an update coordinates log for a mystery or multi cache, does that update the coordinates of the final container or of the posted coordinates? And if it's the final container, does that then show publicly or not?

A clarification of this in the system you're proposing might be helpful as well. Certainly I don't know the answer (although it's probably obviously written down somewhere...).

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

A question (because I've never had to do it but have thought about it and couldn't (easily) find the answer):

If I write an update coordinates log for a mystery or multi cache, does that update the coordinates of the final container or of the posted coordinates? And if it's the final container, does that then show publicly or not?

A clarification of this in the system you're proposing might be helpful as well. Certainly I don't know the answer (although it's probably obviously written down somewhere...).

It updates the posted coordinates only. If you want to change the final coordinates (or an intermediate waypoint), you do that by editing the cache page.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
12 hours ago, The A-Team said:

Thoughts?

My first though was: Could you please apply for a job as Product Manager at Groundspeak? ;)

Seriously, I can only support what you said. Misunderstanding of "Corrected Coordinates" by inexperienced COs is a problem - it has happened here in my home zone dozens of times. And as you said, there are relatively easy ways to make the feature much more clear to everyone.

• Upvote 2