Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max and 99

Chronograms - I wish I could find one.

I think this is such an interesting category! Too bad I can't find any. :)

Are there any in the US? I'm guessing not, since no one has posted one. I'd sure love to find one, though.

I keep hoping that somewhere, sometime, I'll come across one. Seems quite unlikely, though. But if I ever do....you'll hear the hooting and howling all the way from Austria.

Very cool category, though!

27 minutes ago, elyob said:

How close is close enough?

200 miles max. I have to get there and back in one day without any potty stops. 😁

I was going to suggest New Orleans as your only hope (however remote) but that's 580 miles, as the crow flies.

3 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

what is a chronogram? Never heard the term before.

from the category description

A chronogram is a text in which the sum of all letters which may be interpreted as numerals yields a year. The letters intended to be interpreted as numerals are almost always highlighted by increased size or color variance, commonly red or gold. The year will, as a rule, indicate an important event, for example the year of construction of a monument or building. The event can also be a natural disaster, a battle, the birth of an heir to the throne or something similar.

... in which the sum of all letters within a body of text which may be interpreted as ROMAN numerals yields a year.

The body of text may be on a plaque, it may be a motto over the entrance to a building, it may be a quotation from a speech or other text. Here, there a lot of possibilities. The problem with chronograms, from a Waymarker's point of view, is that, for the most part, they fell into disuse several centuries ago. This gives the Europeans a definite advantage, in terms of the likelihood of finding one, over much of the rest of the world.

Here's an example, from a Waymark by the creator of the category:

sIstIte VIatores! qVIs non fLeret sI VIDeret IesVM In sVppLICIIs

Add the capital letters and you'll get 1736. The explanation will be found in The Waymark.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

On 9/11/2020 at 7:02 PM, elyob said:

Apparently, the Washington Monument interior block donated by Turkey includes a chronogram.  See page 128 below.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/37535/37535-h/37535-h.htm

If the pandemic wasn't still going on, and I was still in school in the DC area, I would definitely try to get tickets to go inside the Washington Monument. I know they recently re-opened it (prior to covid) since the 2011 Earthquake. If I'm not mistaken, they had to re-close it due to covid. I've always wanted go to the top and see everything, but never had the chance. 

As for Chronograms, yea I have yet to see any even though I'm a reviewer in that category. I'm sure there are a few in the US, but not very many. If any, they would be in large cities like DC and probably donated or moved monuments from Europe. There's hope for us American waymarkers, lol.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 2:00 AM, Max and 99 said:

I think this is such an interesting category! Too bad I can't find any. :)

Are there any in the US? I'm guessing not, since no one has posted one. ...

Well, there is one in Canada, so I assume that there MUST be at least one in the USA too. When I once visited the Weinberg Castle (in Austria) I looked for chronograms, but didn't find any above its entrance or so. And then, coincidentally, I found one in the chapel of the Castle. Coincidentally, because the chronogram was not at the beginning of the text, not at the end of the text or completely the text. It was "hidden" in the middle of the text. And, it was not above the entrance of the chapel, but on a stone plaque at the rear wall of the chapel. Often they are on big public buildings, but some can even be found on private buildings too.

So, if you can't find one in the USA, make your own chronogram. if you own a house or other publicly visible buildings or whatever, you can create your own chronogram and publish it, for example "MaX at hoMe" would be 2010. It just have to have a meaning. So, if you built your house in 2010 or moved to your apartment in 2010, that would make sense. And of course it has to be permanent.

Edited by PISA-caching
  • Surprised 1

My chronogram waymark in Canada will now be hidden behind construction for ten years or more.  Are there really no chronograms to visit in the western hemisphere?

Well, a lot of European settlers moved to the USA/Canada in the old days. That's why I was hoping that they brought this tradition with them. But like I said, the chronograms can be found on all kinds of buildings, structures and so on. I even found one on a tombstone. But it seems as if they are not easy to find in Canada/USA. Even in Europe they are easy to find in some countries and hardly in another. But old churches are a good place to look for them. It's just that they are often not above the entrance, but on a seprate item. I lately saw a chronogram at the bottom of the organ balcony referring to the restauration of it. It's really hard to say, where they can be found, because I find them in all kinds of places (within a church).

On 9/16/2020 at 3:55 AM, PISA-caching said:

So, if you can't find one in the USA, make your own chronogram. if you own a house or other publicly visible buildings or whatever, you can create your own chronogram and publish it, for example "MaX at hoMe" would be 2010. It just have to have a meaning. So, if you built your house in 2010 or moved to your apartment in 2010, that would make sense. And of course it has to be permanent.

Can you please clarify permanent, as it relates to this category and your suggestion?

I had a waymark declined because "paint isn't permanent". I understood and accepted the decision. But then someone else categorized it after all my work, and it was approved. When I asked the reviewer for an explanation, I was told "he/she says paint is permanent." 

Thanks!

I know a challenge when I see one. :)

Edited by Max and 99

On 9/16/2020 at 1:55 AM, PISA-caching said:

Well, there is one in Canada,

I just looked at that one now. That is one OBSCURE chronogram.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

7 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

MaX at hoMe

MaX liVes and loVes at hoMe - 2020

Get out a chisel and hammer and a hunk of wood, carve the above into it and nail it to the front of your house - all BEFORE Dec. 31.

(Or, should you miss the deadline, simply capitalize the "i" in lives.)

You're welcome.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 3:16 AM, Max and 99 said:

Can you please clarify permanent, as it relates to this category and your suggestion?

I had a waymark declined because "paint isn't permanent". I understood and accepted the decision. But then someone else categorized it after all my work, and it was approved. When I asked the reviewer for an explanation, I was told "he/she says paint is permanent." 

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/permanent says "Lasting for an indefinitely long time.". And I copy another sentence of that webpage: Nothing in this world is truly permanent. ;) 

Your waymark wasn't declined in the Chronograms category, was it? If yes, send me a PN.

The last chronogram waymark I posted also has the chronogram painted above the entrance of a church since 1730. So, it always depends. Whether it really is "permanent" or not can only be known when the "indefinitely long time" is over, but is not determined by the material that is used. I would say, the reviewer will have to have the impression that it will be there several years. That sounds very subjective and yes, it is subjective. But if you really plan to paint a chronogram on your house and create a waymark, I assume that you won't paint over it the next year. Therefore I would consider it to be permanent and approve it.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 10:35 AM, ScroogieII said:

MaX liVes and loVes at hoMe - 2020

Get out a chisel and hammer and a hunk of wood, carve the above into it and nail it to the front of your house - all BEFORE Dec. 31.

(Or, should you miss the deadline, simply capitalize the "i" in lives.)

You're welcome.

The chronogram hasn't to refer to the year it (the chronogram) was made, but can also refer to the year the house was built or the year of Max' birth and so on.

Edited by PISA-caching