Chronograms - I wish I could find one.

Max and 99

25 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

So, there is no need that the letters are bigger or have another color or something. Just make sure to explain it in the description.

That doesn't match what I was told (As long as it is clear which letters have to be used, everything is fine.),  so I'm going to re-do mine.

Edit: I'm disappointed. If the Roman numerals are not highlighted in any way then it will not be recognizable as a chronogram to anyone who sees it. Only those who read the waymark will understand which letters are being used. 

Edited by Max and 99
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

That doesn't match what I was told (As long as it is clear which letters have to be used, everything is fine.),  so I'm going to re-do mine.

Edit: I'm disappointed. If the Roman numerals are not highlighted in any way then it will not be recognizable as a chronogram to anyone who sees it. Only those who read the waymark will understand which letters are being used. 

I see your point - and I even followed the setting-off the chronogram with capitals in my first waymark. 

There are a couple of issues here that have precluded that this time, since as you note, the engraving is ALL CAPs only. 

(1) Thank Heaven W=V+V. 

The best I could do here is set off the part of the brick that contains the chronogram with asterisks — *M*EO*W*      *M*EO*W* or *M*E*O*W* *M*E*O*W* is not possible because it puts me over the character-per-line limit 

(2) My brick does need to fit into the overall aesthetic of the walkway - which functions mostly as a memorial to deceased pets and honors some deceased people and other living people  - it’s not a free speech zone, it’s a memorial space.

(3) Chronograms by their nature are subtle and kind of an open secret (or in-the-know kind of thing).

(4) Max I think your chronogram is lovely the way it is  :) 

3 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Well, this is quite unusual, but somehow I like the idea. The category description says:

"If the letters used to create the Chronogram aren't clearly highlighted in some way, you must add an explanation to your description or add a link (in the variables) to an external source."

So, there is no need that the letters are bigger or have another color or something. Just make sure to explain it in the description.

Now, for the W: On the one hand, it would be easier to identify, if it said "MEOVV", but on the other hand, everybody (outside the WM community) would think it is an error in the text. (They will think "They forgot the year" anyway. :)). So, I think you can use either variation. You have to explain it in the WM description anyway.

AND, I take it for granted that the brick will be much more "permanent", than one might consider for the sign on your house. At least you could remove the sign anytime, but it will be much harder to take that brick out of the paved walkway. :)

I just placed my order - thank you for the advice and assistance 

3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

That doesn't match what I was told

In my opinion, it does match. If the letters are highlighted, everything is fine. But if they are not (because they can't be highlighted), you have to explain it in the WM description. 

Of course, it would be better, if the letters on the brick would be highlighted and I'm sure that Benchmark Blasterz would do it, if it was possible.

Edited to add: The chronogram "MEOW MEOW" uses all the letters, that might represent a Roman numeral. Your chronogram "welCoMe to roCk n Vapes caChe. Come in anD say hello." would not be solveable, if you would use only CAPS or small letters.

Edited by PISA-caching
On 3/31/2022 at 4:27 PM, Benchmark Blasterz said:

FF— is that a chronogram of 100 hidden in your post?

Are you therefore saying you have 100 chisels but can’t find one?

If so, you MIGHT be a hoarder!

🤣🤣🤣

OMIGOD - You have managed to remind me of a once supposedly hammerless friend.

Prior to Christmas many years ago he made the comment, apparently many times, that he could never find a hammer when he needed one, though believing that he was in possession of many.

That year he got no less than THIRTEEN hammers for Christmas! :):D:)

He even sent me a pic of himself and his hammers, though, alas, I seem to possess it no more.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Funny 1
On 3/31/2022 at 4:27 PM, Benchmark Blasterz said:

🤣🤣🤣

On the other hand, Eric MAY BE a victim of Alzheimer's, so be nice to him, just in case. :rolleyes:

Edited by ScroogieII
On 4/1/2022 at 1:27 AM, Benchmark Blasterz said:

FF— is that a chronogram of 100 hidden in your post?

🤣🤣🤣

*sigh* To be honest, I have a few larger screwdrivers (I do not mean the mixed drink) in my tool box in the cellar, that could be used as a small chisel (at least once). A real chisel can be found in my fathers workshop (or in several hardware stores). So I do know, where to find one, if I am in need for one. For the hidden 100 - it was so well hidden, I didn't see it in the first re-reading - if it should be a chronogram it should look something like this: *sCnr* .

There are two things I'm collecting / hoarding: Books and DVD's (though the latter is getting less with the streaming business).

46 minutes ago, ScroogieII said:

On the other hand, Eric MAY BE a victim of Alzheimer's, so be nice to him, just in case. :rolleyes:

I think, it's too early for Morbus Alzheimer in my case - noone in my family had it (yet), so a genetic predisposition could be excluded to 95%. The statistic tells that I have a 1% chance to get it in the next 22 years - rising to 5% in the next 32 years. BTW I still have 14 years of regular work ahead of me, before i reach the retirement age here in Germany. But in the end we all might be a victim of the treacherous desease, so being nice to each other would be a great idea.

Erik.

12 minutes ago, FamilieFrohne said:

*sigh* To be honest, I have a few larger screwdrivers (I do not mean the mixed drink) in my tool box in the cellar, that could be used as a small chisel (at least once). A real chisel can be found in my fathers workshop (or in several hardware stores). So I do know, where to find one, if I am in need for one. For the hidden 100 - it was so well hidden, I didn't see it in the first re-reading - if it should be a chronogram it should look something like this: *sCnr* .

There are two things I'm collecting / hoarding: Books and DVD's (though the latter is getting less with the streaming business).

I think, it's too early for Morbus Alzheimer in my case - noone in my family had it (yet), so a genetic predisposition could be excluded to 95%. The statistic tells that I have a 1% chance to get it in the next 22 years - rising to 5% in the next 32 years. BTW I still have 14 years of regular work ahead of me, before i reach the retirement age here in Germany. But in the end we all might be a victim of the treacherous desease, so being nice to each other would be a great idea.

Erik.

Well, hell, Eric, we can all hope. :ph34r:

To be sure, that was a joke, Canadian style and, overall, really nasty. Sorry, Eric, couldn't help myself!

Still, one must wonder why a person would have such a complete set of statistics readily at hand... ... :blink:

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
1 hour ago, FamilieFrohne said:

being nice to each other would be a great idea.

BTW, Eric's ending statement is well worth reiterating, again and again, so I shall do that very thing:

"being nice to each other would be a great idea."

Have yourselves a fine day, folks.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
14 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

Still, one must wonder why a person would have such a complete set of statistics readily at hand... ... :blink:

I've had a friend whose mother had severe Alzheimer, so I did a small research long time ago on the desease and its consequences to better understand the problems he had with his mother.

Anyway: as an IT guy I've learned in the last 20 years how to ask google and wikipedia to get the needed information pages. At least in most cases I get a result that helps me to refine the query to get more specific results.

8 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

Anyway: as an IT guy I've learned in the last 20 years how to ask google and wikipedia to get the needed information pages. At least in most cases I get a result that helps me to refine the query to get more specific results.

So Eric, now let us in on some of your secrets. I, and others, I'm sure, am all ears!

1 minute ago, PISA-caching said:

Or maybe you can't remember it? :laughing:

Who am I? And if, how many? :unsure:

14 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

So Eric, now let us in on some of your secrets. I, and others, I'm sure, am all ears!

Well, if you found a way to extract my experiences of the last twenty years with the google search engine without harming me, I'm willing to share. Otherwise it could get ... difficult.

• Funny 1