Geocaching Milestones

TmdAndGG

4 hours ago, terratin said:

I consider every first cache in a new country a milestone. I'm at 48 now. Total cache numbers or every 100 or 1000 or so are not important for me though. It just happens, and often is a micro underneath a bench or something like that.

I got my one and only new country (besides the one I started in) on my 247th find during a trip to New Zealand. It was in a 2/2.5 traditional in an old ruined building so not a micro under a bench and memorable enough, but there'd been a micro in the bushes I'd been looking for earlier in the day but DNFed so there was no great planning about it.

I try to do something a bit special for my numeric milestones. For number 400, I wanted to do a highly recommended 2/4 traditional at Abbott's Falls in the Watagan Mountains. But when I got down the long slippery climb to the falls there was fresh graffiti on the rock face next to the cache's hiding place and the cache was gone, so that was a sad DNF and I had to pick somewhere a bit less special for that milestone. Number 500, though, all went to plan, being a 2.5/4 multi on Lord Howe Island and every bit worthy of that milestone.

DSC_0222.jpg.62b3c2a605298845dabce3e54f88c1f4.jpg

600, 800 and 900 were also high terrain ones in the Watagan Mountains, but 700 was unplanned and turned out to be a Geocaching New South Wales event in North Sydney. For 1000, though, I wanted to do something really special and picked a 2.5/4.5 mystery (GC5E7A3) that had long been on my to-do list but I'd never quite had the courage to attempt the hike alone. So it became a full-day group hike with a bunch of friends and one that I'll fondly remember for many years to come.

58f87987-a917-43fa-b8df-de57bf899b30_l.j

With my find count currently at 1225 (not including labs), it'll likely be many years before I reach the next official milestone at 2000. By then I'll be in my 70s so I'm not sure if I'll be up to another terrain 4.5 for that, so maybe it'll have to be a micro under a bench in the garden of a nursing home.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, terratin said:

I consider every first cache in a new country a milestone. I'm at 48 now. Total cache numbers or every 100 or 1000 or so are not important for me though. It just happens, and often is a micro underneath a bench or something like that.

I'll be lucky if I can get caches in any new state (in the USA) let alone another country! $$ constraints

• Upvote 1

We try to have a "special" cache for a milestone.

500 was a nice multi in the Netherlands.

1000 Nice multi by a CO who, most of the time puts something special in his caches. Several of his caches were only found after several tries.

2000 Was in Norway.

3000 was also in Norway but not the one we planned (there's one at N70° 00.000. tried twice DNF'd twice. Logical as it's "not availlable in winter")

4000 Special Wherigo

5000 high favorite Multi

6000 EC in Australia

7000 EC in New Zealand

8000 EC Galapagos

9000 run of the mill traditional... it just happened

10000 High favorite traditional during lockdown. We hope for a wider choice for the next milestone.

• Helpful 1

First milestone for me, besides my first find, was finding Four Cache Loop.  First one where I felt a bit challenged, physically.  Placed in 2003 and I found it that year.  Looking back, I still recollect a moment where I was looking for the second or third stage redirect and I worried that someone was coming down the trail.  And the final had these custom-made patches.  I still have mine on my desk.  I feel bad looking at the cache now because it looks like it may be in trouble.

My log entry

Edited by SamLowrey
  • Helpful 1

I usually don't pay any attention to numeric milestones (unless I need them for a challenge,) but I hit a different one today. I got lucky and filled the last cell  for my Challenge Cache Fizzy Grid this morning. I'd never taken notice of this grid until a couple months ago when I realized I only had two open cells. Now I can go back to ignoring it! ;)

Challenge Fizzy.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, JustFindingOurWay said:

I usually don't pay any attention to numeric milestones (unless I need them for a challenge,) but I hit a different one today. I got lucky and filled the last cell  for my Challenge Cache Fizzy Grid this morning. I'd never taken notice of this grid until a couple months ago when I realized I only had two open cells. Now I can go back to ignoring it! ;)

Challenge Fizzy.jpg

Nice! We also finally filled our D/T grid pretty recently as it was our main goal for the year. We've been trying to complete it for the longest time, but never really put to much effort into it until the last two spots, where we had to make an out of county trip to find. Now, like you, we'll probably never think about it again:P