What's in your geo-bag?

I recently reorganized my geo-backpack. When did I collect so much?  Always be prepared as the Girl Scout motto says. What's in your bag? Here's mine:

Swag, lots of swag to trade. One of my favorites of geocaching. 

Extra logs

Pencils and mini gel pens

Tweezers

Band-aids

Scissors

Hand sanitizer

Cache containers to replace missing containers

Rubber gloves and garbage bags to pick up trash

Flash light

Silica gel packets 

Gorilla duct tape

Paper towels to clean out caches

Bug spray (all natural)

Recently was given by a family member a battery pack!  We can geocache without worry of our cell battery running low. Been there many times. It was a bit stressful! 

• Funny 1

Little baggies for log sheets.  I like the ones from Container Store.  They are thicker. 

https://www.containerstore.com/s/storage/storage-bags-totes/4-mil.-assorted-reclosable-bags/12d?productId=11007849

I like the idea of garbage bags - many times I wish I had one.

Paper towels are simple and handy.  I just keep a roll in my car but I will take some with me on long-haul sometimes.

For flashlight I often carry a Maglight XL50.  Very compact but powerful.

It isn't in my bag (and my bag usually stays in my car except for long hikes, really) because it is on my person but a good hat!  A tilly!  It is a vital part of my "kit."

In some other discussions the topic of emergency whistle has come up.

Since water is a common problem I can see why you would have the silica packs.  The only circumstance where I could see that helping is if the cache is something like a pill bottle and is not letting water in but rather the log was damp because the last person found it in the rain or just from ambient humidity.  But I could be wrong.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, SamLowrey said:

Since water is a common problem I can see why you would have the silica packs.  The only circumstance where I could see that helping is if the cache is something like a pill bottle and is not letting water in but rather the log was damp because the last person found it in the rain or just from ambient humidity.  But I could be wrong.

Silica gel is only effective if the container is hermetically sealed and rarely opened, otherwise they just keep absorbing moisture from the air until they become another wet thing inside the container.

Looking through my caching backpack, there's:

• personal locator beacon
  • snake bite compression bandage
  • first aid kit (bandages, band-aids, tweezers)
  • 1 litre water canteen (which I swap for a 2 litre one on longer hikes)
  • lunch box
  • liquid soap (a COVID addition)
  • magnetic compass
  • GPSr
  • spare batteries for the GPSr
  • spare batteries for my gadget cache (GC7YP51)
  • insect repellent
  • salt packets for leeches
  • assorted pens and pencils for signing logs
  • spare log bags and pencils for my own caches

I also have a Black Diamond headlight but I don't carry it with me unless I'm expecting to need it as, even with the power switch "locked", it still manages to turn itself on if bouncing around in my bag for long enough and I end up with dead batteries next time I need it.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I'll list everything that I can think of. 

• Pen 
  • Backup Pen
  • Super Backup Pen
  • Backup Pencil
  • Lanyard 
  • Tweezers
  • Safety pin with hook on the end (Even better than the tweezers at getting out logs!)
  • HQ Trackable Mileage Tag
  • Replacement Cammoed Pill bottle
  • Spare logs
  • Small flashlight
  • Magnetic grabber tool
  • Regular SWAG and Custom SWAG
  • Small first aid kit (It's a trackable too!)
  • Jar opener gripper
  • Small Plastic Bags
  • Notepad
  • Sharpie
  • Super Glue
  • Zip Ties
  • Small Whistle
  • And of course, a Swiss Army Knife/MultiTool

This all fits into a small fanny pack that we carry around everywhere. It's basically all we ever need!

And of course, the Iphone for navigation;)

Edited by TmdAndGG
  • Upvote 1

Similar to a couple, I don't normally carry a bag anymore.    Tweezers for me are for ticks.

We used to lug "stuff", then realized if we just stopped doing all those caches that need maintenance, we were happier.

My cargo pockets usually cover this hobby, with a water bottle across my shoulder.  :)

If I have to carry a bag, it's for meals, meaning much mileage/overnight, or for a couple-hundred feet of rope and climbing gear.

• Upvote 1
On 9/8/2020 at 3:41 PM, SamLowrey said:

Little baggies for log sheets.  I like the ones from Container Store.  They are thicker. 

https://www.containerstore.com/s/storage/storage-bags-totes/4-mil.-assorted-reclosable-bags/12d?productId=11007849

I like the idea of garbage bags - many times I wish I had one.

Paper towels are simple and handy.  I just keep a roll in my car but I will take some with me on long-haul sometimes.

For flashlight I often carry a Maglight XL50.  Very compact but powerful.

It isn't in my bag (and my bag usually stays in my car except for long hikes, really) because it is on my person but a good hat!  A tilly!  It is a vital part of my "kit."

In some other discussions the topic of emergency whistle has come up.

Thank you for answering, SamLowrey! Our geo-bag is getting so heavy that we leave it in the car too. I actually have another bag to carry on shorter trips. lol We do have an emergency whistle. Funny thing is, we keep it in the geo-bag in one of the smaller zippered compartments and forget it's there. The silica packs (collect them from our vitamin pill bottles) are to keep our cache hides fresh and less damp. 

22 hours ago, terratin said:

My home keys, lunch and water, about 2 gazillion pens that don't work anymore, likely some things that I thought I'd lost ages ago, and if I think of it then I might have a telescope magnet stick and a book to collect letterbox stamps with me.

What is it with the pens and pencils? Iol I actually feel anxiety when not having some on me when geocaching! Have a bunch in my geo-bag and in my car. 

22 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Silica gel is only effective if the container is hermetically sealed and rarely opened, otherwise they just keep absorbing moisture from the air until they become another wet thing inside the container.

Looking through my caching backpack, there's:

• personal locator beacon
  • snake bite compression bandage
  • first aid kit (bandages, band-aids, tweezers)
  • 1 litre water canteen (which I swap for a 2 litre one on longer hikes)
  • lunch box
  • liquid soap (a COVID addition)
  • magnetic compass
  • GPSr
  • spare batteries for the GPSr
  • spare batteries for my gadget cache (GC7YP51)
  • insect repellent
  • salt packets for leeches
  • assorted pens and pencils for signing logs
  • spare log bags and pencils for my own caches

I also have a Black Diamond headlight but I don't carry it with me unless I'm expecting to need it as, even with the power switch "locked", it still manages to turn itself on if bouncing around in my bag for long enough and I end up with dead batteries next time I need it.

Didn't expect any less from an adventurous geocacher such as you!  I recently received a battery pack as a gift from a family member  for our cell phone's GPS. What a life safer, reduces anxiety when miles in the forest looking for caches and the cell battery is getting low. . . 

4 hours ago, TmdAndGG said:

I'll list everything that I can think of. 

• Pen 
  • Backup Pen
  • Super Backup Pen
  • Backup Pencil
  • Lanyard 
  • Tweezers
  • Safety pin with hook on the end (Even better than the tweezers at getting out logs!)
  • HQ Trackable Mileage Tag
  • Replacement Cammoed Pill bottle
  • Spare logs
  • Small flashlight
  • Magnetic grabber tool
  • Regular SWAG and Custom SWAG
  • Small first aid kit (It's a trackable too!)
  • Jar opener gripper
  • Small Plastic Bags
  • Notepad
  • Sharpie
  • Super Glue
  • Zip Ties
  • Small Whistle
  • And of course, a Swiss Army Knife/MultiTool

This all fits into a small fanny pack that we carry around everywhere. It's basically all we ever need!

And of course, the Iphone for navigation;)

Thank you for sharing!  Love your super back up pen and first aid trackable! Super glue is a great idea to add to a geo-bag. We have a cache hide that requires being hot glued back into shape now and then. We'll bring it home and hot glue it but I like your super glue idea better. 

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

Similar to a couple, I don't normally carry a bag anymore.    Tweezers for me are for ticks.

We used to lug "stuff", then realized if we just stopped doing all those caches that need maintenance, we were happier.

My cargo pockets usually cover this hobby, with a water bottle across my shoulder.  :)

If I have to carry a bag, it's for meals, meaning much mileage/overnight, or for a couple-hundred feet of rope and climbing gear.

My husband's cargo pockets come in handy. lol 

On 9/8/2020 at 2:15 PM, HunterandSamuel said:

I recently reorganized my geo-backpack. When did I collect so much?  Always be prepared as the Girl Scout motto says. What's in your bag? Here's mine:

Swag, lots of swag to trade. One of my favorites of geocaching. 

Extra logs

Pencils and mini gel pens

Then how do you ever not have a pencil/pen to sign a log?

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, yrcko said:

To be always prepared for geocaching I use a small penknife as keychain. This includes pen and tweezers (Victorinox manager). Together with my mobile phone I have all I need

Until you get to the cache that needs something more...

It reminds me of a climb instructor that stated "Your first aid kit should only be a couple of bandaids".  I really wish I could have seen him deal with the broken leg a party member had on the first climb I lead.  Or the trip leader who fell and injured his back at the top edge of the cliffs we were on - even the Fire Department wouldn't approach until we'd 'packaged' him into the rescue stretcher.  BTW I'm a Mountaineering Oriented First Aid instructor.

On 9/13/2020 at 2:07 PM, The Jester said:

Until you get to the cache that needs something more...

It reminds me of a climb instructor that stated "Your first aid kit should only be a couple of bandaids".  I really wish I could have seen him deal with the broken leg a party member had on the first climb I lead.  Or the trip leader who fell and injured his back at the top edge of the cliffs we were on - even the Fire Department wouldn't approach until we'd 'packaged' him into the rescue stretcher.  BTW I'm a Mountaineering Oriented First Aid instructor.

Lets stick to the geocaching topic. No need to debate with yrcko's post. This is why new geocachers are intimated to post here. Geeze. 

5 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Did I tell you to grow up? So sorry I hurt your little feelings. Feel better?  Now stick to the topic instead of trying to puff out your chest. 

You don't know what you posted?

Spanking is quite off topic too.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

We also have geocache replacements in our geo-bag. We ordered a few on geocaching.com and amazon. This is in case muggles steal them.  Yes, we have OCD geocache syndrome. lol Many cachers end up archiving after a few disappearances. Which is understandable. But we trust the geocache community and replace the stolen caches. Cross our fingers! So far so good.

1 minute ago, HunterandSamuel said:

lol Many cachers end up archiving after a few disappearances. Which is understandable. But we trust the geocache community and replace the stolen caches

You replaced stolen caches for caches that are archived? Or are you saying when your geocaches are stolen you replace them?  I doubt it was the trusted geocaching community that stole it in the first place. 

• Upvote 1