Archived geocaches

yorkmapper

10 minutes ago, yorkmapper said:

What happens to those geocaches that have been discontinued or removed?  I have found a few that are on longer there.  Are these archived somewhere?  Are they still counted in my total number of finds?

An archived cache simply means that for whatever reason, a geocache has been permanently removed.  

They're still listed on the CO's profile as a part of their / this hobby's history. 

- Same with your finds.  They're a part of this hobby's history too, and are still counted.  :)

• Helpful 1
7 hours ago, yorkmapper said:

What happens to those geocaches that have been discontinued or removed?  I have found a few that are on longer there.  Are these archived somewhere?  Are they still counted in my total number of finds?

Thanks.

You have to figure out somehow the GC code and then if you'd like log it. I found an archived multi-cache today that I had found the final coordinates long ago, was archived in 2018 GC6YNX0. Distance between WP2 and final was around 100 miles away I'm the third and possibly the last person to log this as the app definitely makes it difficult to search and find these guys.

BTW project-gc has a map compare feature that can help you figure out archived caches by the map. 

10 minutes ago, MNTA said:

Distance between WP2 and final was around 100 miles away I'm the third and possibly the last person to log this as the app definitely makes it difficult to search and find these guys.

Please explain this, as I don't use an app (or rarely) and I don't understand why it would be difficult to search for the next WP. You get a new WP and put it in as you do in a GPS surely. I have done a number of long distance multicaches; the longest one, Canberra, via Victoria to the south, and then north to Darwin. It can be checked on the computer, and paper notes still taken and kept, as I do using a GPS, for when I can get to the next WP.

1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

Please explain this, as I don't use an app (or rarely) and I don't understand why it would be difficult to search for the next WP.

The app simply does not show archived caches.  It doesn’t matter whether you’ve added waypoints or even ‘corrected’ the posted coords, once the cache is archived it’s effectively gone.  You can’t even find it if you know the GC code.

• Helpful 1
8 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

The app simply does not show archived caches.  It doesn’t matter whether you’ve added waypoints or even ‘corrected’ the posted coords, once the cache is archived it’s effectively gone.  You can’t even find it if you know the GC code.

Another reason I don't like the app and want to use it, except as a backup. However they don't load on my GPS either as part of my download. I can though load them individually (I imagine), as I can see them on the computer. My answer is search for them on the computer and write down the coordinates, etc.

20 hours ago, yorkmapper said:

Thanks.

That's (see attached image) the last part of the list of caches which you found. Two of them were archived and so there names are read and there's a read line indicating that these are gone. But they are still in the list and you can still click on the links to view the listing. (The red highlighting box was made by me, of course.)

I browsed to your profile and then to the list of found caches: https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=yorkmapper

You can look at all your finds via web browser, too: all still active finds and all those which are archived.

Jochen

archived.png

19 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Please explain this, as I don't use an app (or rarely) and I don't understand why it would be difficult to search for the next WP. You get a new WP and put it in as you do in a GPS surely. I have done a number of long distance multicaches; the longest one, Canberra, via Victoria to the south, and then north to Darwin. It can be checked on the computer, and paper notes still taken and kept, as I do using a GPS, for when I can get to the next WP.

When I mean difficult. I don't mean the book keeping portion. That is the easy part as you definitely don't plan on in one outing traveling 100s of miles unless you really wanted that FTF and had nothing better to do that day. 

I mean that the app makes it difficult to find and log archived caches. In this case I had put the waypoint down in a nearby cache so that I could easily navigate to it. You can not search for unfound archived caches easily either. Simply put you have to kind of know what you are looking for and how to find it, it is not impossible. Finally these multis were all around public phone booths which are an endangered species in these parts and this one had notes from other caches indicating one of the WPs had been removed.

1 hour ago, MNTA said:

That is the easy part as you definitely don't plan on in one outing traveling 100s of miles unless you really wanted that FTF and had nothing better to do that day. 

Likely days :D. I know someone who went for a FTF on a long distant cache. Best to read their version of it, rather than I describe it. GC2TR90.  I also have found that cache.

(Interesting logs just after my log. Armchair loggers caught out. I also deleted four of their logs on my caches.)

3 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Likely days :D. I know someone who went for a FTF on a long distant cache. Best to read their version of it, rather than I describe it. GC2TR90.  I also have found that cache.

(Interesting logs just after my log. Armchair loggers caught out. I also deleted four of their logs on my caches.)

What an interesting way to show the deleted logs. I've never seen that done before.

2 hours ago, colleda said:

What an interesting way to show the deleted logs. I've never seen that done before.

I like the way the CO has copied and posted the armchair loggers log.

"Yes today we wanted to try to do multicaches close to home"

They certainly outed themselves claiming this cache. I had a watch on it which alerted me to these armchair loggers. I went and checked four caches on mine they claimed to have found, and deleted them when I found no signatures.