3,389 Mile Adventure Lab?

JohnCNA

10 Illinois and 2 Indiana geocachers got together and created 12 Adventure Labs following the entire Lincoln Highway through Illinois.  Border to border. Plus one section over the line in Indiana.  These 12 Adventure Labs stretch just over 200 miles.  The Lincoln Highway has hundreds of commemorative gazebos, murals and other historical monuments and artifacts along the way and is an interesting historical marvel.

Anyone in the other states want to pick up where we left off?  The entire length of the Lincoln Highway runs from Times Square in New York to San Francisco, a total of 3,389 miles.  How cool would that be to have labs covering coast to coast?

Our job was made easier by using the great map by the Lincoln Highway Association.  Turn on 'Points of Interest' in the Layers Menu, and it shows hundreds and hundreds of Lincoln Highway locations.

https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/map/

Edited by JohnCNA
Correction
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
4 hours ago, JohnCNA said:

Anyone in the other states want to pick up where we left off?  The entire length of the Lincoln Highway runs from Times Square in New York to San Francisco, a total of 3,389 miles.  How cool would that be to have labs covering coast to coast?

That would be very cool!  I have an Adventure Lab yet to be published, though I already have most of it done with another theme (local wineries, what else!).  And, I have used a portion of the Lincoln Highway in a series of puzzle caches in my home county as well - part of the description pn each one reads:  "This is the first (or second, or third) of a series of three caches along this walking/biking trail formed by what is left of the original Lincoln Highway as it made its way through Solano County. The Lincoln Highway was one of the earliest transcontinental highways for automobiles across the United States of America. Conceived in 1912 by Indiana entrepreneur Carl G. Fisher, and formally dedicated October 31, 1913, the Lincoln Highway ran coast-to-coast from Times Square in New York City west to Lincoln Park in San Francisco."

Of course, there are parts of the Highway NOT linked to existing caches, and proximity is not a factor with AL's anyway...and there are several Highway 40 signs in the area where I live, as it came right through my county - midway between Sacramento and San Francisco.  Hmmm, wonder if I can combine Hwy 40 with wineries ... like 5 wineries along the old Hwy 40 route through my county....hmmmm!  I have till October 31 to publish my AL,  I missed the 8/31 deadline to qualify for a chance at a second one.  COVID-19, wildfires, and new grandbabies have all made the AL and geocaching in general less of a priority for me.

• Surprised 1
6 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

That would be very cool!  I have an Adventure Lab yet to be published, though I already have most of it done with another theme (local wineries, what else!).  And, I have used a portion of the Lincoln Highway in a series of puzzle caches in my home county as well.... 

I suggest looking at the Lincoln Highway Association map to see LH items of interest in your area. Once the map is opened, you have to turn on 'Points of interest' to see the LH related items in your area. California's map looks pretty 'busy'. ?

https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/map/

An interesting part of the story... A friend and I had received an AL credit but were trying to decide what to create. He had a couple LH memorial things near him and mentioned that. Aha! I had a couple near me, too. Several others in our local geocaching Facebook group picked up on the conversation and also had an AL credit they were trying to decide what to do with it. My friend started up conversations about this on a couple FB groups and there were soon a dozen or so people participating. 

GCHQ eventually got wind of this grass roots project and to support it, they upgraded all of us from 5-location AL's to 10-location AL's. That made it a lot easier for us to cover the entire 160 mile distance through Illinois.

Anyway, California on the LHA map looks like:

Screenshot_20200907-063608_Chrome.jpg

10 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

That's fascinating. Any chance you have a map showing where the current Lincoln highway adventure labs are located? 

This is something I might take into consideration if I was awarded  another adventure lab credit. Possibly. 

One of our group posted a map screenshot of all of our stops along the way.

I'm not aware of a search function other than panning the map to an area and tapping the icons that pop up. Our AL locations are (east to west) :

Merrillville IN 

Dyer IN

Chicago Heights IL

New Lenox IL

Joliet IL

Plainfield IL

Aurora IL

North Aurora IL

Maple Park IL

Malta IL

Franklin Grove IL

Sterling IL

received_230629348321476.png

2 hours ago, JohnCNA said:

Once the map is opened, you have to turn on 'Points of interest' to see the LH related items in your area. California's map looks pretty 'busy'.

Wow, sure is busy!  And it appears that the portion near me is actually the 3rd generation, not the original, and was constructed in 1928.  Still, interesting history along this whole route!

A zoom in on my neighborhood, and it's pretty cache dense as well.

Lincoln-Highway-Map.png

9 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Wow, sure is busy!  And it appears that the portion near me is actually the 3rd generation, not the original, and was constructed in 1928.  Still, interesting history along this whole route!

A zoom in on my neighborhood, and it's pretty cache dense as well.

Lincoln-Highway-Map.png

If you tap on the icons, it will tell you what it is for.  Many are for the concrete road markers and other not-so-interesting stuff.  But that's where you find the interesting stuff, like interpretive gazebos, murals, etc.  And there are no concerns with geocache proximity; Adventure Labs can be created anywhere.  Two of our interpretive gazebo stops already have a geocache located inside.  Hey, it's a two-fer that way.  :D

Oh, this is interesting! I just came here wondering if someone had managed to pull off a kind of AL trail as I just got an idea for mine but don't know how to to use just 5 points along a route that crosses a (tiny) country and consists of roughly 25 features. Well, it won't be published in whatever way as I don't have a car and won't be able to visit all sites with public transport until the end of October. But wow, well done! Takes some coordination to pull this off!

Edited by terratin