Which Cache Type to Use?

uberclimber

On 9/6/2020 at 3:32 AM, uberclimber said:

It belongs to the city, I guess. I'd debate whether drilling a hole is 'destroying' it...'damaging' at worst. And since the hole will have wood inside put back inside it (in the form of the dowel), is it really so bad?

But I take your point...and I do have some qualms and reservations on this point about the idea.

The  guideline you're going to have to contend with is the "no defacement"  guideline, which essentially means that you can't alter property that you don't own (or have explicit permission to alter).  It might not seem to be "so bad" to put a few screws into a dead tree, or drill a hole in a tree stump, but when you start drilling holes into fence posts or a picnic bench owned by someone else (or the city) that sets a precedent that could severely jeopardize the game.   The problem then is that' not easy to draw the line between "not so bad" and something that might cause land managers to ban geocaching on large swaths of real estate.  

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
  • Upvote 3
On 9/6/2020 at 10:29 AM, Goldenwattle said:

The D/T ratings help. The attributes don't, as I don't see them.

Not much anyone can do about that but you. What you're arguing for is essentially that every bit of detail necessary to successfully sign the log must be determinable from the basic details that you can see. But many attributes indicate essentials that aren't otherwise indicated by D or T or required in the description.

In some places Mystery may be more common for field puzzles at posted. In others a Traditional with 'Field Puzzle' attribute is common - but I might even say it should have 'Special Tool Required' if the cacher needs to take a magnet. Many field puzzles don't need additional tools because the entire gadget and puzzle is at GZ.  That's exactly what that attribute is for - to let people know that a cache requires something in addition to simply hands-on opening to get the cache log and sign it.

If you don't or can't view attributes, that's a handicap.  Well, at least around here it is. We have field puzzles that also require a UV light, only indicated by the attribute.  And, what's the difference between a 5.0Terrain on a shoreline with only a Tree Climb attribute, and one with only a Boat Required attribute? Checking attributes makes a huge difference where basic properties can't indicate - and you can't demand that a cache owner describe such additional details in their text description; that's entirely their call.

I'd highly suggest you find a way to be aware of attributes before you go out searching, or have a way to check them while you're out if spontaneously geocaching...  (or at least in this area, if not in your own). Or not, as you've been caching a long time and seem to be doing fairly well as is. Your call ;)

• Upvote 2
On 9/11/2020 at 7:19 PM, ecanderson said:

@HunterandSamuel

There are some governmental agencies that permit placing of caches on public access property within their jurisdictions in a blanket fashion.  Some of these arrangements have even been negotiated by the geocaching community directly.  However, such caches are still expected to meet the guidelines. 

Thank you!

On 9/6/2020 at 2:42 PM, uberclimber said:

It's not the bench itself, but where the bench is located...on a viewing platform in a beautiful park, overlooking a lovely pond surrounded by those old stone lanterns.

Sounds like an often crowded place. Would you enjoy searching, retrieving and logging no matter which size the cache has when other people are around?

I would prefer an offset Multi where I have to find some numbers on the platform to calculate coordinates for a small box at a distant and preferably lonely spot in the park and  without the need for *any* tool.