Loneliest caches

violavee

I think you may be referring to GCDFB 4.5lb Walleye, yes?  That was an epic FTF they even allowed the internet to track with satellite based location updates throughout the paddle.

I recently managed to snag a 10 year FTF in Ontario (GC2P0TY) with some friends, which is (was) the 5th oldest unfound geocache in Ontario.

It gets very risky and tough at that age because almost certainly the only visitor to the spot is the CO, and probably not more than a couple of maintenance check trips if any. Without any checkups, often those oldies go missing. And the easier they are to public access the more likely it's missing (especially annoying if people visit but don't log DNFs - one reason the listing may be around for so long).

It can be controversial if someone starts questioning if the finder actually threw down a geocache on arrival just to make sure it was a find; but as with any throwdown, without verification that it's missing by the CO, they may actually be placing a 2nd cache there which they should have taken as a DNF.

So yeah finding lonely unfound caches is whole experience in itself... 

Edited by thebruce0
added GC and direct cache link
39 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

...if the finder actually threw down a geocache on arrival just to make sure it was a find;

I don't know why I'm picturing some nefarious cacher having an old ammo tin out in the backyard being weathered so they can lug it on an epic voyage out to the middle of nowhere, just to make sure that they can get that 20-year FTF! :D 

3 hours ago, violavee said:

on a glacier.

Okay, I see why it wasn't visited in 14 years. Now the CO has to trek out there to check the log! :P

• Upvote 1

Non-YouTube link to thebruce0's 10-year FTF: Gosenda.  (Aargh, how does this search function work again?)

To the OP, I'm not aware of any collected list.  Ask around (as you've done), and you'll get a few examples.  Mine is a 10-year FTF, coincidentally to the exact day.  Congrats on 14, that's quite rare!

As to non-FTF lonely finds, I seem to get those all the time.  3 years here, 6 there, ...

4 hours ago, SamLowrey said:

Seems like that should be its own type of cache.  They move.  Slow, yes, but they move.  ^_^

NA! Caches are stationary according to the guidelines. But then, plate tectonics is a thing, and the Cocos and Nazca plate are racing at the moment. Don't think there are too many caches there though :antenna:

• Funny 1
On 9/6/2020 at 7:32 AM, Viajero Perdido said:

Non-YouTube link to thebruce0's 10-year FTF: Gosenda.  (Aargh, how does this search function work again?)

To the OP, I'm not aware of any collected list.  Ask around (as you've done), and you'll get a few examples.  Mine is a 10-year FTF, coincidentally to the exact day.  Congrats on 14, that's quite rare!

As to non-FTF lonely finds, I seem to get those all the time.  3 years here, 6 there, ...

You've had a few fun adventures. And hey, small world! 

DSCN1030 (2).JPG

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

When I lived in the US Southwest I was pretty keen on the site https://www.lonelycache.com/, and would regularly go after lonely caches. But I wasn't alone, a number of people liked this website and we competed with eachother to rack up LCP or Lonely Cache Points every year. This actually had the effect that a lot of the really lonely caches would get found by people trying to up their LCP score for the year. I've since moved from the area and my new area doesn't have quite the same lonely cache competition going for it, but I might get back into that. Going after those rare, hard to find caches was rewarding and offered many a fine adventure. Checking Project-GC, it looks like there is a pretty darn lonely cache not too far from where I am now that is 5 years lonely. Might have to give it a go.

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Fugads said:

When I lived in the US Southwest I was pretty keen on the site https://www.lonelycache.com/, and would regularly go after lonely caches. But I wasn't alone, a number of people liked this website and we competed with eachother to rack up LCP or Lonely Cache Points every year. This actually had the effect that a lot of the really lonely caches would get found by people trying to up their LCP score for the year. I've since moved from the area and my new area doesn't have quite the same lonely cache competition going for it, but I might get back into that. Going after those rare, hard to find caches was rewarding and offered many a fine adventure. Checking Project-GC, it looks like there is a pretty darn lonely cache not too far from where I am now that is 5 years lonely. Might have to give it a go.

Oh noez!   You moved?