Lab Ratings

Rustynails

18 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I thought of this thread when I saw this posted on an adventure lab: 

please be kind with your star rating at the end.

Unless it was a really cool ALC, I would deduct one star from my rating just because of this remark :P. Just like I don't give a Favorite on caches where the owner asks for them.

• Upvote 4

I'm curious, how are people scaling their ratings? All of the ALs around here are averaging either 4.5 or 5 stars, with the majority on 5 stars, so it seems a lot of people are just giving everything a 5 unless it's really, well, poor. When I started doing them a few weeks back, I decided that if it was an enjoyable wander with no problems I'd give it 4, so I could reserve 5 for something really special, and sure enough I soon did one that fell into the really special category and it got a 5. But am I being stingy doing that? How bad does an AL have to be to get a 3 or less?

14 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I'm curious, how are people scaling their ratings? All of the ALs around here are averaging either 4.5 or 5 stars, with the majority on 5 stars, so it seems a lot of people are just giving everything a 5 unless it's really, well, poor. When I started doing them a few weeks back, I decided that if it was an enjoyable wander with no problems I'd give it 4, so I could reserve 5 for something really special, and sure enough I soon did one that fell into the really special category and it got a 5. But am I being stingy doing that? How bad does an AL have to be to get a 3 or less?

My "default" for an AL, which can be played without problems and shows at least some interesting locations, but is otherwise unremarkable, is a rating of 4. I reserve 5 stars for ALs which are in some way "special" - like e.g. really interesting locations, a great hike, or some special ideas in the design of the questions and answers. OTOH, if an AL has no remarkable locations and/or repeats locations already "covered" by existing active caches, I might give only 3 points. Also, if there are technical problems, like ambiguous questions, where unnecessary trial and error is needed to get the right answer, I give a 3.

I have given 1 star only to an AL, which was designed to just provide 5 quick "points". All 5 "locations" were effectively at the same spot, with 5 different very simple questions.

A couple of months back, several cachers around here received an email from HQ advising that they'd received an additional credit. In the email it said:

Congratulations! Thanks to the success of your first Adventure, Geocaching HQ is giving you the opportunity to create another Adventure for the global community.
Selection is based in part on the following criteria:
• Creator has:
o An active Premium membership
o Has found at least 10 Adventure Lab Caches
• The Adventure has:
o At least 4.7 average rating
o At least 10 ratings
o At least 10 Activity logs

I'm curious about the 4.7 average rating requirement as I can't see this mentioned in either the Help Centre or any of the posts from HQ in the Creating ALs forum. As there's no guidance as to how ALs are meant to be rated, I've been generally rating the ones I've enjoyed as 4 stars, reserving 5 stars for what would be the equivalent of an FP in the real caching world. However, it seems from this that if you rate an AL at anything less than 5, you're effectively voting against its owner getting any more credits.

6 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

A couple of months back, several cachers around here received an email from HQ advising that they'd received an additional credit. In the email it said:

I'm curious about the 4.7 average rating requirement as I can't see this mentioned in either the Help Centre or any of the posts from HQ in the Creating ALs forum. As there's no guidance as to how ALs are meant to be rated, I've been generally rating the ones I've enjoyed as 4 stars, reserving 5 stars for what would be the equivalent of an FP in the real caching world. However, it seems from this that if you rate an AL at anything less than 5, you're effectively voting against its owner getting any more credits.

That's a tough criteria from HQ! 

An AL creator has no control over whether someone leaves an activity log. 4.7 rating is quite high based on comments in this forum. In my area it appears that most give Adventure Labs a 5. 

On 4/24/2021 at 7:21 PM, Max and 99 said:

An AL creator has no control over whether someone leaves an activity log. 4.7 rating is quite high based on comments in this forum. In my area it appears that most give Adventure Labs a 5. 

Same here in my area.  Most, if not all, of the AL's have an average rating of 5 stars, which means almost all ofthe ratings are 5.  I have one lab live, one in the works.  The live one has 34 ratings, and it shows all 5 stars colored in.  I know at least one of the raters gave me 4 stars (he said so in his log at the end) but it seems that all the other ratings were 5 so the average is closer to 5 than 4.  And I have no idea how many others have completed the lab but didn't comment or rate it.

I always leave arating, and a comment, as much as I dislike typing in a log on the phone.  I know I enjoy reading the comments on my AL, so I can at least write something on others' AL's!  And giving it stars is just a matter of one tap - I can do that!