Jump to content

Basecamp VS mapsource and cache names


ras_oscar
Followers 1

Recommended Posts

I use both Basecamp and Mapsource to plan caching trips. I'd like to use just Basecamp as it has more features, except for one challenge: when displaying caches it shows them with the full text name, not the GC code, which obliterates any detail on the map unless i zoom in significantly. By contrast when I load the same GPX file into Mapsource, it politely displays only the treasure chest symbol and the GC code. Any work arounds? I use GSAK as my primary caching tool, and am willing to do  custom export if it helps the base camp display issue.

Link to comment

update: I paused working on this issue until I noticed this morning that basecamp displays *some* of the geocaches using the GC code and *some* using the name. All are formatted in Basescamp to display symbol and name. The caches that show the GC code display all information in the old Mapsource format with limited information, whereas the one that shows the long name shows the newer basecamp format with the cache logs, ETC. Attached is a snip of 2 that happen to appear near each other on my Basecamp map, along with the view when I open each for further details.  This is a recent GPX load, I did nothing special when loading into the database, I just used the default settings.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Link to comment

It appears that the cache showing just the GC code is actually encoded as a waypoint and not a geocache. Was it possible that these were imported to basecamp from some other program or file and not a groudspeak generated GPX file?

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

It appears that the cache showing just the GC code is actually encoded as a waypoint and not a geocache. Was it possible that these were imported to basecamp from some other program or file and not a groudspeak generated GPX file?

 

That is exactly what happened there. Those are waypoints, not geocaches.

Link to comment

BTW, the description and other information for those caches loaded as waypoints are on the Notes tab.

Generally speaking, I dislike using Basecamp (or Mapsource) for geocaching with the exception of building routes to complete a multi-cache where all of the locations are known. But when I plan a geocaching road trip, I don't make a route in Basecamp connecting caches because I'm not using my handheld for that kind of navigation - because in order to log the caches, I have to exit the route and navigate directly to the cache. And I can't load routes into my Nuvi (it's an older model). So I prefer to build my routes in Google Maps and send it to my phone.

Link to comment
On 4/15/2021 at 10:50 AM, Atlas Cached said:

 

That is exactly what happened there. Those are waypoints, not geocaches.

hmmm..... that's odd. I generate a GPX file from Ground speak, copy it to a directory on my PC, then either open it ( Mapsource) or import it ( GSAK, Basecamp)as the application requires. When a new GPX file comes over from Ground speak, I delete the geocaches in the applications and the GPX directory and redo the connections to the new file. 

Link to comment
On 4/15/2021 at 11:03 AM, Mineral2 said:

BTW, the description and other information for those caches loaded as waypoints are on the Notes tab.

Generally speaking, I dislike using Basecamp (or Mapsource) for geocaching with the exception of building routes to complete a multi-cache where all of the locations are known. But when I plan a geocaching road trip, I don't make a route in Basecamp connecting caches because I'm not using my handheld for that kind of navigation - because in order to log the caches, I have to exit the route and navigate directly to the cache. And I can't load routes into my Nuvi (it's an older model). So I prefer to build my routes in Google Maps and send it to my phone.

Yes, I noticed that as well. I usually use basecamp on my PC to select  caching area, then use my GPS to navigate to the first GC in that area. Follow on caches are selected in the field. My trips are often planned along a road (say route bla bla bla from town x to y )

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 1
×
×
  • Create New...