Bogus "finds"

Play Cache

Note:   If SkeetSkeetSkeet has logged any of your caches, you might want to do some checking. It seems this cacher has logged numerous caches all over the country in the same time frame, and his/her logs should really be deleted.  Unless he/she travels the speed of light, something doesn't ring true.  Many of these log-ins seem to be on lonely hides or where the CO might be either inattentive or absent.  Really kind of sad.

Edited by Play Cache
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 3
32 minutes ago, SamLowrey said:

Seems like some geolocation filters would be second-nature to this community.  At work we will get alerted to high risk logons.  One of our users logging in from New York when we are in Texas, for example. 

So how would that work if I, say, flew interstate or even overseas, found some caches, flew back home again and then logged my finds on my home PC? Not to mention that geolocation on landlines is often highly inaccurate - mine puts me in western Sydney when I'm actually on the Central Coast. Not everyone does their logging through the app.

Back to the original question, it might be armchair logging but there could also be legitimate reasons, like someone catching up logging previous finds but not setting the log date correctly, or someone who previously cached under another account going their own way (perhaps a grown-up child who previously logged under their parents' account).

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2

I don't see any problem here considering the finds of the last week. The cacher was in South Africa (vacation I think) and found some caches that were recently found by others and the owners are still active as well. Then (s)he returned and made finds in california which seems possible, too.

The number of caches found isn't too big - and if someone wanted to boost the staristics (s)he could do better: find more caches, find more countries, find more of the rare icons (and not so many traditional caches) ....

So maybe all the bad logs have been deleted but from that what remails I can't see anything that proves your (bad) claim (so I am not sure if I like what you do here).

I think it would be fair to inform the cacher that we are discussing about her/him so that (s)he can give her/his own version of the story. We shouldn't talk behind the back of someone as long as there isn't any evidence.....

Jochen

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
10 hours ago, Play Cache said:

Note:   If SkeetSkeetSkeet has logged any of your caches, you might want to do some checking. It seems this cacher has logged numerous caches all over the country in the same time frame, and his/her logs should really be deleted.  Unless he/she travels the speed of light, something doesn't ring true.  Many of these log-ins seem to be on lonely hides or where the CO might be either inattentive or absent.  Really kind of sad.

Curious...Did they log, and are their name on any of your caches ?   Thanks.  :)

They've been doing this a while if all fake.     Years before this hobby, I'd travel numerous countries every-other month.   

A local cacher here travels a few states/countries regularly.  Having a relative in the airline industry kinda helps there.   ;)

I too have a fake log from skeetskeetskeet.

He posted a found log on a virtual I did years ago which required 3 answers be sent to me BEFORE logging a cache. He did that but said "no find date, but basically did research."

The whole idea of vituals...when they existed....was to bring people to an interesting spot or historical landmark so they could learn something.

This person logged something over 400 caches in my area and more than one cacher has indicated there was no signature in the log when they checked. I also read that he logged over 2000 caches in a desert state in 116 degree temps over a short period of time. Seem phoney to you ?

This cacher....skeetskeetskeet...keeps reposting his find and I messaged him that I would keep deleting them. He says he has "reported" me to the website and that there is nothing I can do about it.

I urge any cacher anywhere in the USA to check you cache logs if skeetskeetskeet has logged your caches. 

11 hours ago, Ron Streeter said:

This person logged something over 400 caches in my area and more than one cacher has indicated there was no signature in the log when they checked.

[...]

This cacher....skeetskeetskeet...keeps reposting his find and I messaged him that I would keep deleting them. He says he has "reported" me to the website and that there is nothing I can do about it.

So you can name several caches which he logged without signing the logbook. And the cache owners seem to be willing to tell this to Groundspeak. And you have these words from him which seem like a threat to me.

Why do you keep discussing with him or us? Send these informations directly to Groundspeak and make them (temporarily) close his account (if that's what you want). You seem to have enough proof - much more than the information given in the OP's post.

But I still think he is cheating very badly if he only has such a "low number" of finds.... :-(

• Funny 1
8 hours ago, frostengel said:

Why do you keep discussing with him or us? Send these informations directly to Groundspeak and make them (temporarily) close his account (if that's what you want). You seem to have enough proof - much more than the information given in the OP's post.

I am trying to make more people aware of the situation so they can check their own log sheets to see if he really DID find the cache  he says he has.

There's always the choice not to read anything you see on a screen.

I deleted a log on a virtual where I strongly suspected  he had not visited and was subject to a torrent of abuse.   I asked for evidence that he had visited and was met by more abuse.  I don't have time to get into a log deletion war, so I reported him.  If HQ does not do anything then I guess I'll have to let the bogus logs stand.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, fizzymagic said:

I deleted a log on a virtual where I strongly suspected  he had not visited and was subject to a torrent of abuse.   I asked for evidence that he had visited and was met by more abuse.  I don't have time to get into a log deletion war, so I reported him.  If HQ does not do anything then I guess I'll have to let the bogus logs stand.

There were a couple if cachers who logged my nephew's EarthCache without sending any answers.  We e-mailed them asking for the answers.  One deleted the log.  The other did not.  His log was deleted.  He relogged.  It was deleted.  He sent a very nasty e-mail to my nephew.  The e-mail was sent to Geocaching Help.  His log was deleted, and he was barred from logging the cache.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
On 9/3/2020 at 1:50 PM, frostengel said:

Again: Why don't you report him cheating? We can't do anything - Groundspeak can.

Probably my intent wasn't clear: please contact Groundspeak with your proof and let them do the dirty work against any cheater....

The people writing these posts (including me) about the skeet fraud HAVE reported the jerk to GC dot com.

I think all of us talking about this fellow are just trying to let other people know of his behavior. None of us expect this forum or anyone in it do actually DO anything about it, except maybe check THEIR caches and if no true finds are noted there from skeet, maybe THOSE cachers would report him too. Does THAT make sense? I hope so as I can't explain it in any other terms.  Caching since 2000...My first cache BLUE TOP was the 844th (or so) cache in the world. I didn't place all the caches I did to have some bozo sit in his living room and play the fool. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Ron Streeter said:

Does THAT make sense? I hope so as I can't explain it in any other terms.

Sure, if you give me the information - I'll understand.

First post: attacking (the cheater) without giving any information why the given claim should be true. Therefore I ask ...

Your post: supporting the original post without telling that Groundspeak has been informed (but seems to do nothing - which I just learned from another post). Therefore I ask ...

Pardon me if I am not clairvoyant (hopefully that's the correct word) and if I don't know all your information you don't tell us. I think we all have seen wrong and bad accuses - or even witnessed them against ourselves (I have - and those were not true). So I am careful in believing anything without evidence.... So why not give these details when personally attacking someone?

Jochen

• Upvote 1
On 9/2/2020 at 12:30 AM, Play Cache said:

He logged one of my Earthcaches without sending the answers. I messaged him reminding him to send answers and, surprisingly, he did so. However, the answers are all gathered from signage so he might have access to one of those cheatsheets where unscrupulous cachers share puzzle coords, multi finals, and Virtual/Earthcache answers.

His logging certainly seemed suspicious to me.

SkeetSkeetSkeet blanketed portions of our very rural area with "finds."  It would take a quite long drive to get to an international airport.  Could he have made it to the other side of the world and then immediately go caching?  Probably not.  Could he have just logged in on a later date?  Could be, but the probability is low.  Evidence of deception.

I've been watching a cache that has been missing for months.  He/She logged it.  I went back and looked, and it's still missing.  (It's quite obvious where it should be due to the name of the cache and another one hidden just like it.)  Evidence of deception.

No ink on the paper log.  Some cachers may be of the mind that "if I see it, then I found it and don't have to put anything on the log."  Okay.  But since the rules do state one must put a caching name on the log, this is certainly grounds for deletion.  Not a total slam dunk, but definitely evidence of probable deception.

In one instance he logged hundreds of finds on the same day, which is possible.  But many are on caches whose owners have not been active for years.  He slipped up, though, and also logged one by a certain inactive member which was hidden while visiting family in North Carolina -- not exactly close to rural California.  Oops.  Deception beyond a reasonable doubt.

There have been many who have questioned his authenticity.  I would LOVE to hear directly from him with his side of the story.  I'd love to hear his description of our area of rural California and ask him how long it took him to not only get here, but then to hike out to certain logged caches.  I'd also like to hear why he feels it's okay to abuse those who inquire into the validity of his finds.  

He has been reported to Groundspeak by numerous people.  My particular response from them was a pat answer:  he's just cheating himself.  While that is very true, it seems that the very integrity of this game/hobby/entertainment which we enjoy has been compromised.  If I start to regularly receive hundreds of bogus finds on my hides, I might begin to think the whole premise of geocaching is a joke and decide to quietly withdraw -- again a personal choice.

Having expressed all of this, I just thought a forum post of"Beware of a SkeetSkeetSkeet find" was appropriate.  Check your own caches if he's logged one and reach your own verdict, and then proceed with your own course of action....or not.

Edited by Play Cache
  • Upvote 3
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
18 hours ago, frostengel said:

Sure, if you give me the information - I'll understand.

First post: attacking (the cheater) without giving any information why the given claim should be true. Therefore I ask ...

Your post: supporting the original post without telling that Groundspeak has been informed (but seems to do nothing - which I just learned from another post). Therefore I ask ...

Pardon me if I am not clairvoyant (hopefully that's the correct word) and if I don't know all your information you don't tell us. I think we all have seen wrong and bad accuses - or even witnessed them against ourselves (I have - and those were not true). So I am careful in believing anything without evidence.... So why not give these details when personally attacking someone?

Jochen

Ok, one last attempt at helping you to understand, then I'm done. The skeet logged a cache of mine and was never there. He has done that to many people.

Have a nice day !

• Surprised 1

We had a cacher/s who logged local caches from their armchair. They came undone when they said they logged a multicache in one afternoon. This cache involved finding a string of WPs in three states and one territory. States in Australia are not tiny things like in the USA either. One of the states was Tasmania, so as well as needing to find all the WPs they also needed to either take an overnight ferry or fly to Tasmania and then continue following the WPs. Classic! Naturally the CO had words to say about this. They were deleted. As I had a watch on that multicache I was alerted too. They had logged four of my caches, so I went and checked. Deleted! A friend of mine went and checked his caches too. Deleted! Other local COs were informed too and many of the armchair logger's caches were deleted. However, it was disappointing to see how many COs couldn't be bothered to deleted the liers 'finds'. These armchair loggers also published a cache. No one found it...surprise, surprise...not!

People like this should have their account suspended.I wonder if what action that is taken, makes a difference if they are a basic member, or a paying member?

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
17 hours ago, Play Cache said:

I've been watching a cache that has been missing for months.  He/She logged it.  I went back and looked, and it's still missing.  (It's quite obvious where it should be due to the name of the cache and another one hidden just like it.)  Evidence of deception.

This is a great example why such armchair logs are bad: they give the false impression a missing cache is present, and disrupt the process of a abandoned + missing cache being archived. 

17 hours ago, Play Cache said:

No ink on the paper log.  Some cachers may be of the mind that "if I see it, then I found it and don't have to put anything on the log."  Okay.  But since the rules do state one must put a caching name on the log, this is certainly grounds for deletion.  Not a total slam dunk, but definitely evidence of probable deception.

This is another reason why it's a good idea not to use copy & paste logs. If you take the time to write a meaningful, or at least unique, log it makes it far more believable that you at least actually went to the location and are not an armchair logger.

Edited by JL_HSTRE
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 2

Checking my hides SkeetSkeetSkeet has logged four of my caches.  Checking the logs there aren't any signatures nor were there any  logs for the date of  SkeetSkeetSkeet claimed the finds.  Sent an email to SkeetSkeetSkeet for each  cache asking for an explanation (this is my normal practice) and will delete these finds in 5 days.

Interesting that 2 of these caches are off by themselves and require around an hour to get to.

• Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

My favorite log excerpt:

It made it easier when they asked a previous solver for help for some of them that they gave us the solutions for all of the art. That saved us a lot of time. Thanks for that.

Yep.  We see that a lot.  The PAF network telling folks exactly where caches are...

I had one just a few weeks ago.  The caller didn't even want to get a hint for a cache not mine.  They wanted to know where it is.

I didn't help, asking him to call the CO,  knowing full-well why this caller is calling me, when they have lots of others to help with lesser hides.  

Sure enough, the log for a cache I spent most of a day on earlier read " Luckily my paf is extensive".   

On 9/8/2020 at 9:45 AM, captnemo said:

Checking my hides SkeetSkeetSkeet has logged four of my caches.  Checking the logs there aren't any signatures nor were there any  logs for the date of  SkeetSkeetSkeet claimed the finds.  Sent an email to SkeetSkeetSkeet for each  cache asking for an explanation (this is my normal practice) and will delete these finds in 5 days.

Interesting that 2 of these caches are off by themselves and require around an hour to get to.

No answer to my emails, not surprised, so deleted bogus finds.

My husband and I are located in Calif and share a geo-account. A while back he flew to visit family in Florida. While there, he introduced his nephews to geocaching and found a few caches. Turns out, I made a find or two on the same day. To an outside observer, certainly I couldn't have been in both Florida and California on the same day, so at least some of the logs must be bogus. But they were all totally legit.

Don't assume nefarious motives, and don't worry about how others play the game. If you suspect armchair caching, go check the paper log and delete the smiley if necessary.

• Helpful 1
6 hours ago, G0ldNugget said:

My husband and I are located in Calif and share a geo-account.

A while back he flew to visit family in Florida. While there, he introduced his nephews to geocaching and found a few caches.

Turns out, I made a find or two on the same day. To an outside observer, certainly I couldn't have been in both Florida and California on the same day, so at least some of the logs must be bogus. 

We know a few who were the subject of conversation by others (events...) , and decided if we weren't together and one cached, the other would do something else.

The other 2/3rds went to visit relatives in TN once, and I did maintenance on the Harleys and tractors that week.

- People do notice.   A couple were surprised I didn't cache while she was gone.  This hobby isn't devoid of Nosy Parkers.   :)

11 hours ago, yrcko said:

i would make clear by the account name that it is a team account.

Thats good advice. Unfortunately, I had been geocaching for quite a while before my husband started joining in. Now we usually go caching together and he enjoys it and is very good at it. But if you ask him, he still says he "doesn't geocache" and he's "just helping me". LOL.

• Funny 2

On 9/1/2020 at 9:30 PM, Play Cache said:

I recently found a high terrain rated lonely cache with an MIA CO and low and behold SSS is on the online log but not the physical log.

As I post this, Skeet has logged nearly 15,000 Finds this year. Going into this year he had less than 3,000 Finds logged over the 1 1/2 years since his account was created.

Aug 12: Germany

Aug 13: Denmark

Aug 14-20: logged lots of finds in California

Aug 21: logged a large quantity of caches in Arizona, including a powertrail.

Aug 22-24: logged 11 caches in South Africa.

Aug 24 - Sep 7: logged caches in California

Sep 8-13: logged caches in Montana

Sep 13-18: no logs

Sep 18:  logged a powertrail in Texas

I hope he gets frequent flyer miles.

Edited by JL_HSTRE
  • Funny 1