Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
terratin

Sea boating for dummies: please talk me through this.

Might not be hiking, but boating. I'd like to rent a small boat with 5ph motor to access a few T5 caches on small islands just off the coast, or in bays on the coast that are only accessible by boat. Renting the boat is not a problem. My big worry is: is this possible alone or do I need a cache buddy? I'm not quite sure how to make sure the boat doesn't leave without me. The water right at the coast will be too shallow for using an anchor I guess. And there are no piers. So how do people do this? This is one of the caches I'd love to do: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3NFR8_rabbit-island

Some images suggest that it's possible to tie the boat to something on shore (out of wind and protected of course). Please talk me through this. Also, what kind of knot would I need?

The boat is an Adria 500, similar to the small motor boat on the second image page.

I already watched a few videos on how to start a boat with outboarder, gears (if it has any at all) and how to moor in a harbour. The departure harbour is not busy at all, thus this will be easy enough I guess. Anything else I need to know?

On 9/1/2020 at 3:40 PM, terratin said:

Might not be hiking, but boating. I'd like to rent a small boat with 5ph motor to access a few T5 caches on small islands just off the coast, or in bays on the coast that are only accessible by boat. Renting the boat is not a problem. My big worry is: is this possible alone or do I need a cache buddy? I'm not quite sure how to make sure the boat doesn't leave without me. The water right at the coast will be too shallow for using an anchor I guess. And there are no piers. So how do people do this? This is one of the caches I'd love to do: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3NFR8_rabbit-island

Some images suggest that it's possible to tie the boat to something on shore (out of wind and protected of course). Please talk me through this. Also, what kind of knot would I need?

The boat is an Adria 500, similar to the small motor boat on the second image page.

I already watched a few videos on how to start a boat with outboarder, gears (if it has any at all) and how to moor in a harbour. The departure harbour is not busy at all, thus this will be easy enough I guess. Anything else I need to know?

Tell the rental location how long you expect to be gone, where you are headed, and at what point of no return they should come assist. :D

14 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Tell the rental location how long you expect to be gone, where you are headed, and at what point of no return they should come assist. :D

I did this today, and got 6 T5 caches, which is big for me as I don't climb.

After the first two hours or so where I thought: Argh, all cars I ever had were shorter than that boat! And how do I break and secure the boat somewhere without smashing it! things went really well. I had to dive twice though, once for getting the anchor stuck underneath a rock, and another time for dropping my gps into the water and underneath the boat when on one of only two piers. :antenna: Boating is not something I really need to repeat, but it also was ok.

17 minutes ago, terratin said:

I did this today, and got 6 T5 caches, which is big for me as I don't climb.

After the first two hours or so where I thought: Argh, all cars I ever had were shorter than that boat! And how do I break and secure the boat somewhere without smashing it! things went really well. I had to dive twice though, once for getting the anchor stuck underneath a rock, and another time for dropping my gps into the water and underneath the boat when on one of only two piers. :antenna: Boating is not something I really need to repeat, but it also was ok.

Fantastic! I'm glad your outing was successful!

I've dropped a GPS and a camera while boating. :mad:

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Fantastic! I'm glad your outing was successful!

I've dropped a GPS and a camera while boating. :mad:

Ouch! I left my camera in my holiday home as I really pictured this to happen. Fortunately my gps is waterproof.

Personally I never used a boat for geocaching but only a kayak because I would destroy the rudder or the propeller pretty fast with all the rocks that lurks near island

16 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Personally I never used a boat for geocaching but only a kayak because I would destroy the rudder or the propeller pretty fast with all the rocks that lurks near island

Well, distances between small islands are pretty big here in southern-ish Croatia. And the water is rather deep around these islands. I found the best way for me was to anchor some 10m from shore, where the water was usually between 4-5m deep. And then I swam ashore and cached in bikini :tongue: And tried to get the anchor up again, which mostly worked :laughing: