Garmin eTrex 22x

SKOVDEtjejen

If you do not want an electronic compass, Barometric sensor (Altimeter), or the ability to share data wirelessly between other Garmin products, it may be OK for you!

If you already plan on loading data manually before you go, this unit may be OK for you!

This unit already come with Garmin TopoActive maps pre-installed, so you will not need to worry about adding maps right away!

You will have access to GPS + GLONASS + WAAS + EGNOS only, no Galielo, BDS, or QZSS - but you may not ever need any of those.

For a few dollars more, this Oregon 700 is far more capable and feature rich.

You can research and compare the features of both devices at GPSrChive.

Edited by robertlipe
Remove referral from link
  • Helpful 1
On 9/1/2020 at 3:35 PM, Atlas Cached said:

If you do not want an electronic compass, Barometric sensor (Altimeter), or the ability to share data wirelessly between other Garmin products, it may be OK for you!

If you already plan on loading data manually before you go, this unit may be OK for you!

This unit already come with Garmin TopoActive maps pre-installed, so you will not need to worry about adding maps right away!

You will have access to GPS + GLONASS + WAAS + EGNOS only, no Galielo, BDS, or QZSS - but you may not ever need any of those.

For a few dollars more, this Oregon 700 is far more capable and feature rich.

You can research and compare the features of both devices at GPSrChive.

Is the Oregon 700 as bad on batteries as I am reading?

Edited by robertlipe
Remove referral from link
5 hours ago, SKOVDEtjejen said:

Is the Oregon 700 as bad on batteries as I am reading?

1. I don't know what you are reading.

2. The GPSrChive battery test results for the Oregon 7x0 were between 15 and 32 hours of run time.

3. Most reports of poor run time are almost always a result of user error, the most common of which is to keep the backlight on when not needed (I have done this accidentally myself - the screen is so well illuminated by sunlight you can not even tell the backlight is on).

4. Second-most common user error is to keep the screen on all the time. Screen draw and backlight represent the two most power-hungry operations.

If you set the unit to battery save mode and allow the screen to time-out after 30 seconds or so, and you're not constantly checking your GPS to look at it, you can go 12 hours on a set of 2000mAh NiMH batteries. The 2600mAh batteries will give you a few extra hours on a single charge.

It's worth noting that the 16 hour battery life in the specs comes from using Lithium batteries. NiMH rechargeables don't last quite as long, but will give you a good run time with optimal usage behavior. Also, they're rechargeable so if you're out doing some heavy caching, just bring several pair with you for the day and charge them back up when you get to a source of power.

Regular Alkaline batteries are terrible. They tend to last around 6-8 hours.

Edited by Mineral2
  • Helpful 1