Cache theft

I recently hid my first cache. It is very small and you wouldn't know it is there without the app. It went missing a month later and I put it down to kids and replaced it but the day after it had gone again. I can only assume someone is stealing it. Is this a common experience? There are loads of other caches in the area that are similar so I don't understand why mine is being taken. 

It can happen, and bear in mind that if someone has found the cache and removed it they know about the location and might be inclined to have another look as they're passing, so once the hide is compromised it's nolonger "safe". Looking at your cache on streetview my guess would be that someone in one of the houses opposite saw someone rooting about and went for a nosey, and decided the didn't want it on their street and they will continue to go back and remove it .

If you're attached to the idea of placing a cache associated with that location then make it an offset multi where the cacher has to visit that spot to collect some info which can be used to calculate co-ords for the hide a few hundred metres away.

• Helpful 1
7 hours ago, Clarethehooper said:

I recently hid my first cache. It is very small and you wouldn't know it is there without the app.

It went missing a month later and I put it down to kids and replaced it but the day after it had gone again.

I can only assume someone is stealing it. Is this a common experience? There are loads of other caches in the area that are similar so I don't understand why mine is being taken. 

You'd be surprised how many non-cachers find our good spots good too.  :)

We had one almost two miles in the woods, with a decent bushwhack too,  and it turned up missing often.  Turns out hunters noticed it.

One of our friends had one in a small park go missing often.  Turns out a neighbor didn't like "strangers" hanging around...

Agree with MartyBartfast, if you're replacing it in the same spot each time and it turns up missing, that's a clue to move on.  ;)

I had three  micro caches disappear from one spot; two magnetic and one bison tube (a later replacement cache). I suspect birds. When I replaced the bison tube I left off the attached (tempting) plastic cockroach, and it's been okay since.

I also kept finding a small sized cache out in the open. Likely it's hide was a furry someone's sleeping quarters. I found another hide.

I hid a cache high up on a remote hillside, in a large area of scattered rocks half a mile from the path. I started walking away, but when I looked back I realised that I'd never remember the exact position, it was so well hidden and the rocks made everywhere look similar. So I went back and took photos of the exact hide so that I could find it later. It was reviewed almost immediately.
The first person to attempt it, the day after I hid it couldn't find the cache, and when I described where it was he was sure he'd looked there. So I returned to the spot the next day, certain that I'd find it but wondering if the coordinates were wrong.

Despite finding the exact spot using the photo, there was no sign of the cache (an ammo box). I still have no idea how it could possibly have been muggled almost instantly.

On 8/31/2020 at 9:18 PM, Clarethehooper said:

I recently hid my first cache. It is very small and you wouldn't know it is there without the app. It went missing a month later and I put it down to kids and replaced it but the day after it had gone again. I can only assume someone is stealing it. Is this a common experience? There are loads of other caches in the area that are similar so I don't understand why mine is being taken. 

It’s happens sometimes. That’s why I create multi caches and mystery caches. The puzzle stops muggles from getting them. You could also change the location but you don’t have to.

4 hours ago, 33Nibbles33 said:

(...)The puzzle stops muggles from getting them. (...)

You mean other cachers? Kids playing geocaching?

When a cache gets muggled it's because someone not knowing geocaching saw the cache container and took it. It's just a theft.

• Funny 1
On 11/25/2020 at 7:13 AM, sernikk said:

You mean other cachers? Kids playing geocaching?

When a cache gets muggled it's because someone not knowing geocaching saw the cache container and took it. It's just a theft.

Many we know of were people that just happened to spot it.  Those great spots known by other folks too.  :) 

Leaving caches in the open to look like it might be trash doesn't help. 

We had new cachers (a couple pms too) take our ammo cans, thinking they were supposed to re-hide them somewhere else.

A premium member was stealing ammo cans when we started.  Good hikes too. 

We were blamed (those new @%&($ cache thieves) simply because no one knew us.  

We were the ones to finally catch the creep, spotting him on trail with the sharp outline of a 30cal in his backpack.

- Not a single long-time cacher apologized for what they put us through...

There's also been a premium member in court a state over from us for caches taken.  

All major Trackable hoarders we're aware of were premium members.     It isn't all "outsiders"...

• Upvote 1