Release Notes (New Attributes) - August 31, 2020

36 minutes ago, Geocaching HQ said:

Since bonus caches are always Mystery Caches, the attribute is only available for Mystery Cache types.

Is this attribute also meant for adventure lab bonus caches? Because they didn’t always to have to be mystery caches...

36 minutes ago, Geocaching HQ said:

If you own caches that are part of a power trail, please add the power trail attribute to your hides so that other geocachers can filter for them easily.

Searching for ”power trail” in the Help Center returns no relevant results. Is an entry explaining them in the pipeline?

1 minute ago, mustakorppi said:

Searching for ”power trail” in the Help Center returns no relevant results. Is an entry explaining them in the pipeline?

I think the usual definition is "You know it's a power trail if you see one" ;) .

Seriously though, there is no "hard" definition of a PT. I guess its up to the cache owners to designate their trails as "power" or not.

• Upvote 1

The “Field puzzle” attribute can now be added to Letterbox Hybrids and Wherigo Caches

This was missing for a long time!

Are there any plans of changing any other attributes in the future or adding some?

I'm missing some kind of attribute similar to the "Yard", which would tell us that the place owner, where the cache is hidden, knows about the container and geocaching. I can remember some caches, where this attribute could be helpful.

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, TTO2 said:

Can the new attributes be added to existing caches with 'edit'? And will existing caches like challenges retroactively get the challenge attribute added to them?

Yes, if you place a cache in "Edit" mode, you will see that the new attributes are available for selection, where applicable.

As noted in the opening post, there is a plan for automatic addition of the challenge cache attribute as well as an offer from HQ to assist cache owners with the bulk addition of the power trail attribute.  The bonus cache attribute must be added manually by the cache owner when applicable.  The solution checker attribute is added automatically.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Keystone said:

there is a plan for automatic addition of the challenge cache attribute as well as an offer from HQ to assist cache owners with the bulk addition of the power trail attribute

As I was adding attributes to my series manually, that question came to mind - good to know! (for those with 100's of power trail series caches :P)

Edited by thebruce0
1 hour ago, Geocaching HQ said:

Challenge cache attribute

v3QaaPRgH58yO-v15XP42KLR1WsUxG4_PR6A9-SQ

If you own a challenge cache, you can now add the challenge cache attribute to your cache. Geocaching HQ will also run a script to add the challenge cache attribute to all* published challenge caches within the next several days. The challenge cache attribute is available for Mystery Caches. It is only allowed on challenge caches that meet the current guidelines, as well as grandfathered challenge caches. Geocaching HQ may remove the attribute from cache listings where it has been incorrectly added.

(* Since there will be a time delay between identifying all challenge caches and running the script, we will likely miss some newly published challenge caches. There is also a possibility that we will miss some published challenge caches due to the difficulty in identifying them. Check your challenge cache page after we run the script to see if you need to add the attribute manually.)

Going forward, if you are planning to submit a new challenge cache for review, the challenge cache attribute must be added, just like the challenge checker.

Huzzah! A much awaited feature!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Keystone said:

The bonus cache attribute must be added manually by the cache owner when applicable.

Just a point of clarity - "must" as in that's the only way it can be added, or "must" as in if it is considered a bonus cache, the attribute is required?  And does that apply to both geocache series bonus caches and Adventure Lab bonus caches?

2 minutes ago, OnABoat said:

The only thing left to do is add a "Geo-Art" attribute.

I was thinking about that old request too. I think they banked on the fact that most geoarts (just eduguessing on this) are already as powertrail/roadsides. I've done maybe a couple of geoarts where they're scattered around a region, but by far most geoarts I've done or seen are just hiking/biking/driving powertrails. 

If I want to find a geoart, I'm thinking I'll be searching the powertrail attribute most often ;P

• Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:
31 minutes ago, Keystone said:

The bonus cache attribute must be added manually by the cache owner when applicable.

Just a point of clarity - "must" as in that's the only way it can be added, or "must" as in if it is considered a bonus cache, the attribute is required?  And does that apply to both geocache series bonus caches and Adventure Lab bonus caches?

Unlike the challenge cache attribute, which is mandatory going forward, the bonus cache attribute is optional.  The context of my prior post addressed how each attribute is added to an existing cache page, which varies. The bonus cache attribute can only be added by the cache owner placing their cache in edit mode, and manually selecting the new attribute.

• Upvote 3
8 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

I was thinking about that old request too. I think they banked on the fact that most geoarts (just eduguessing on this) are already as powertrail/roadsides. I've done maybe a couple of geoarts where they're scattered around a region, but by far most geoarts I've done or seen are just hiking/biking/driving powertrails. 

If I want to find a geoart, I'm thinking I'll be searching the powertrail attribute most often ;P

I was thinking that if you need a attribute for geo-art they aren't very good artists... LOL

• Funny 6
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Bonus caches, including bonus caches solved by completing an Adventure Lab, must ALWAYS be Mystery Caches.

That is interesting, because I saw many which are not, and are Letterbox Hybrids instead. Its practically not much of a difference.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, TTO2 said:

I was thinking that if you need a attribute for geo-art they aren't very good artists... LOL

haha, it's funny, but seriously, obviously trying to locate geoarts can be a pain in densely populated regions. Scrolling around the map for clumps of mystery caches that could be as small as a few kms wide to many many kms. There is a practical benefit to having an easier of identifying them on a grander scale.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Geocaching HQ said:

If you own a challenge cache, you can now add the challenge cache attribute to your cache. Geocaching HQ will also run a script to add the challenge cache attribute to all* published challenge caches within the next several days. The challenge cache attribute is available for Mystery Caches. It is only allowed on challenge caches that meet the current guidelines, as well as grandfathered challenge caches. Geocaching HQ may remove the attribute from cache listings where it has been incorrectly added.

I'm glad you added this last sentence. There are many geocaches that have "Challenge" in their name that are not "Challenge Caches" in the sense of what this attribute represents.

• Helpful 1
5 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

haha, it's funny, but seriously, obviously trying to locate geoarts can be a pain in densely populated regions. Scrolling around the map for clumps of mystery caches that could be as small as a few kms wide to many many kms. There is a practical benefit to having an easier of identifying them on a grander scale.

True, but there are also three places where I know that the geo-art overlap each other making searching by a attribute complicated. In all the cases I had to just search by CO to get the mess straight. BTW all three were cachers in turf wars for the same space. I just want to state for the record that I would like a geo-art attribute regardless of these situations. 

30 minutes ago, HHL said:

The attribute "Special tool required" will do that job sufficiently.

Might be it's enough for you, but not for everyone, like me ;-) I'm manually putting the biltema caches onto a separate list and right after that I "ignore" them. Would be way easier if they had their own attribute, like tree climbing caches, too!

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Especially as a letterbox is exactly the same as either a trad, multi or *mystery*, just with a stamp added.

Exactly. My friend even asked a reviewer, and he had no problem with publishing this type of cache as a bonus.

I guess this is not what HQ wants, but yeah... reality is different ^_^

29 minutes ago, OwenfromKC said:

1 What if I already have 15 attributes on the cache? 

2 Will one be displaced? 

3 Which and why? 

4 Can we add more than 15 now?

Until there's an official answer, this has been tested and a cache owner has ended up with 16 attributes, so somehow they're allowing more attributes (either an exception or by increasing the max)

53 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:
2 hours ago, longwhatton34 said:

Bonus caches aren't always Mysteries though, are they? My AL Bonus is a Letterbox Hybrid...

Mine too.

Bonus caches are ALWAYS Mystery Caches.  Cache owners are advised not to place a letterboxing stamp in a bonus cache.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1

I support all the new attributes. Thanks.

This may be unpopular, but I'd like to see them do away with the L&F attribute since no one has been able to collect them in over 10 years, Not really a good idea for an attribute to have a specific short time frame (like only valid in 2010, and only if a HQ lackie attended that particular event). I'd be ok if they'd open it up to be any lackie attended event without the time aspect.

Thanks.

Edited by dani_carriere
added relevant information
  • Upvote 8
11 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Bonus caches are ALWAYS Mystery Caches.  Cache owners are advised not to place a letterboxing stamp in a bonus cache.

Just to echo keystone.  That is the policy right now.  If you drop a stamp in it now, you will still be a Bonus cache. 

From the help center

A bonus cache is a Mystery Cache for which you have to find clues in other caches

• Helpful 2
Just now, BlueRajah said:
14 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Just to echo keystone.  That is the policy right now.  If you drop a stamp in it now, you will still be a Bonus cache. 

From the help center

A bonus cache is a Mystery Cache for which you have to find clues in other caches

Okay, so really just seeking sincere clarification because it seems maybe some lines are getting crossed - that sounds like Adventure Lab caches aren't "bonus caches"?  Or do Adventure Lab bonus caches always have to be Mystery Caches (though there are many examples of this not being the case) - and existing ones have been published incorrectly?  Maybe it's just a confusion of overlapping terms or labels?

More directly: Should owners of Adventure Lab bonus caches also add the Bonus Cache attribute, including those which are not Mystery caches? (truly not trying to pick any nits - just seek clarification).

It makes sense that all bonus caches (including Adventure Lab bonus caches) should be Mystery/Unknown. But some have been published as not that.

If the guideline (at least moving forward) is that even those bonus caches should be Mystery caches, then that's a good clarification :)

2 hours ago, Keystone said:

Bonus caches, including bonus caches solved by completing an Adventure Lab, must ALWAYS be Mystery Caches.

Bonus caches, including bonus caches solved by completing an Adventure Lab

Umm. Is there any other type of Bonus Cache? And, while they may now always have to be Mysteries, there are those that are not. Does anyone at GCHQ talk to each other?

2 hours ago, Keystone said:

I am sorry if my prior post is unclear.  I don't know how to state this any more clearly.

I will also state that Reviewers have been given very clear instructions on this point by Geocaching HQ.

So, let's get back to talking about the new Attributes, OK?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
2 hours ago, OwenfromKC said:

1 What if I already have 15 attributes on the cache? 

2 Will one be displaced? 

3 Which and why? 

4 Can we add more than 15 now?

Some attributes don't count towards the 15 attribute limit. e.g. "Wheelchair accessible", "Needs maintenance", or "Geocaching.com solution checker".

So, if a Mystery Cache owner adds 15 attributes manually, then sets the T rating to 1 and adds the solution checker - the cache will have 17 attributes. If the CO then doesn't maintain their cache, they might get an 18th attribute for "Needs maintenance" ;P 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 4

For the question about bonus caches - Keystone, Blue Rajah, and Frau Potter have already said this, and quoted the Help Center, but in case anyone would like to read more, here's the link to the bonus cache article. Any bonus cache that is not a Mystery Cache does not follow the current guidelines.

According to these guidelines, the new attribute is only available for Mystery Caches.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, nykkole said:

Some attributes don't count towards the 15 attribute limit. e.g. "Wheelchair accessible", "Needs maintenance", or "Geocaching.com solution checker".

So, if a Mystery Cache owner adds 15 attributes manually, then sets the T rating to 1 and adds the solution checker - the cache will have 17 attributes. If the CO then doesn't maintain their cache, they might get an 18th attribute for "Needs maintenance" ;P 

That sounds like an opportunity for a challenge cache - find X caches with 18 attributes :).

• Funny 5

I think the attributes are great, but I really wish challenge caches would get their own icon. I just foresee some COs adding on the challenge cache attribute on a non-challenge cache either on purpose or by mistake and muddying up the purpose of the attribute. The same already happens fairly often for one reason or another with the SCUBA, climbing gear and tree climbing attributes, just to name a few. 

There's already one cache in my city that's incorrectly identified as a challenge cache:

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8V1V2

Now it will forever show up when I filter by challenge cache attribute. 

A challenge cache icon wouldn't have these problems as the reviewer would have to approve it. 

• Upvote 4