Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
brodiebunch

More geocaching this year than previous years?

My industry has been decimated by the pandemic. I am not working but work will return so I am doing my best to ride this out. 

That said I have been geocaching a lot more this year. March and April during the depths of the stay at home orders, I was going out to the woods away people to get fresh air, fresh scenery and a fresh perspective on life.

That said our geocaching statistics are the best ever (low compared to other geocachers stats but high by ours)

Is that happening to others too, you are out geocaching more this year than previous years? 

• Love 1

Not more, although my stats may say otherwise. Different, yes.

Beginning of the year the weather was really bad, so less caching. Then the weather improved and we went into lockdown which meant cache trip with our bikes from home instead of driving. The bad weather meant more time to solve mysteries and filtering out caches we want to do. As measures are loosened  we were able to make two short long-weekend trips away from home.

We did go caching more on weekdays during the lockdown as people tend to go out in nature more on weekends, avoiding busy places meant going out during the week while many were at work.

Seems to be the case, yes.  In spite of everything, best year since 2016.

658610701_CachesAnnual.jpg.7179dbd84c4d772439a2c1bb2d18aeed.jpg

Posted (edited)

I had quite a slow start to the year, with the fires in January, the rains in February and the COVID restrictions soon after that. During the lockdown here in April and May, I had my longest slump of 61 days, but since the lifting of intra-state travel restrictions in June I've been getting out as much as I can, usually on drives up north to the Newcastle region. I'm currently avoiding any trips to Sydney and public transport use, which will curtail some caching opportunities. My statistics now suggest this will end up being a fairly average year for me unless restrictions are tightened again.

image.png.70e59a333b3b7f9eab549c152abfdbc2.png

My 2020 find count is a bit inflated by 10 "finds" from a couple of Adventure Labs, so it should really be 115 finds and a rate of 0.4752. In due course I'll probably delete those AL finds to bring everything back into line.

Edited by barefootjeff

Since I retired, I had been hoping to find three caches a day this year to bring my finds to 10,000.  But, with COVID-19, I've been avoiding the more urban areas to the east, nearer New York City.  So, I'm at 2.07 finds per day this year  I'm at 9,331 finds in sixteen years.

Posted (edited)

So far, yes.  But, only because I decided to work on my birthday cache grid.  So, many days only getting one cache per day, but have had quite a few days with multiple finds.  January, February and up to the 23rd of March were fine, then basically nothing until mid May.  Averaging about 20 finds per month since then, and have all of Sept, Oct and most of Nov with only a handful of b'day caches found.

days.png

Edited by GrateBear
caches per day

Yes, which is due to two reasons: I moved to an area with more interesting nature at the end of last year, and I got a free public transport card for the whole country by new employer.

• Upvote 1

This year is our slowest year in terms of finds, extreme bushfires in Jan, rain not long after, then Covid restrictions. We have probably cached as much, but as we haven't been able to get as far from home as normal, find numbers are down, but we've published several caches, and still had a good time....

yearstats.jpg.fbff8dc404de5a173cd1b7ccceafea03.jpg

Stats like this don't say much.

Most years around this time the average monthly find rate goes down and so will the average over the whole year. Our days caching are about the same as previous years but we did have a few days with a lot of finds. In fact, the weekend of August 21-23 we were away from home for 3 days and found 149 caches. A few days earlier we found 34. In all, with 294 finds August 2020 was our highest find count since we started geocaching. I doubt we'll break our 2011 find count but if we do it will probably be because of 1 or 2 geo-art outings.

yearstats2.thumb.jpg.1407e7fe7d0956603ba947f7be8ab323.jpg

I'm going to have more finds this year than last year, but not because of the pandemic. I lost my normal May vacation and vacations are usually my best source of finds because I'm going places I've rarely, if ever, cached.

Rather, last year was an all time low for me in terms of total finds and days caching (and the second lowest average finds per day caching since my first year). There were a lot of issues last year, from work to weather to simply having largely cached out local area.

This year's numbers are substantially boosted by a day with a group on a rail trail where I picked up 80 caches. Without that day, I'm only slightly ahead of last year. I was off to a pretty good start during the first 10 weeks of the year, then my numbers went off a cliff with the pandemic. That would be different if I lived somewhere other than South Florida. 

If you look here you can see a pretty good overview of total caching, and I see a lot of upward trends. As for us individually:1166541555_Screenshot2020-08-30at12_41_19PM.thumb.png.26a8594fe7922cae1eb42f4f11fdc717.png

I would say we're doing pretty good this year, considering there's only a few months left of our brutal Floridian summer, during which we do the least caching, and our cache/day ratio is still high (For us at least!). I say we are on course for the most finds in a year yet.

So to answer your title question, I would say yes.

• Upvote 1

On 8/29/2020 at 10:44 AM, brodiebunch said:

Are you out geocaching more this year than previous years? 

Less this year than in our entire (3 year!) career!

image.png.302365d097359e7f4de6957d2254b753.png

We started in March of 2017; found a lot of local ones and a few as we traveled.  Set a goal in 2018 to find at least one cache every calendar day, and we continued that into 2019 for a month or so to reach 404 consecutive days of caching.  Then we slowed way down and took it easy!

Then 2020 hit, we've found most of the nearby caches, and haven't traveled much at all (one trip to the East coast to see family, did some caching then).  My goal is to reach 2000 (or maybe 2020) finds by the end of the year.  Only 43 more to find to reach 2000!

Slightly behind last year's rate (1 vs. 0.96) and I probably will not catch up since the local Mega even was cancelled :(

I have noticed a TON of new cachers finding my hides though, it will be interesting to see if that continues as things slowly get back to normal.

I'm aiming towards my 2nd highest count year; projecting to pass 2020 in 2020. My highest is 2014, the year I hit the ET series. I'm almost past my 2nd highest from 4 years ago.

Really it's been all the trail caching, series, and so many paddlecaching trips for rivers and lakes this year. 2020 in a year is about 170 a month. A couple of high count geocaching-dedicated days can do the trick. Lots of travel around the province :) 

My Webcam cache averages 72 finds per year.  Last year to this date. it had 116 finds.  This year, so far, it has had 20 finds.

1 hour ago, Harry Dolphin said:

My Webcam cache averages 72 finds per year.  Last year to this date. it had 116 finds.  This year, so far, it has had 20 finds.

I did that cool webcam back in 2008 by car and in '18 took the train up.

2 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

A webcam isn't a good metric because most of the locals already found it. Only tourists should be your main public now but well it's 2020 so they can't come.

To answer the OP I am currently on my lowest average except for my first year. I need to drive farther and I do less power trails than before.

Screenshot_20200912-190526_Samsung Internet.jpg

I've now officially overtaken the last year. But as every other year is wildly different as I move a lot and each region/country is different this doesn't mean a lot.

image.png.85bff813e5e9319f38e5ad94c52d5e5d.png

On 8/29/2020 at 1:44 PM, brodiebunch said:

My industry has been decimated by the pandemic. I am not working but work will return so I am doing my best to ride this out. 

That said I have been geocaching a lot more this year. March and April during the depths of the stay at home orders, I was going out to the woods away people to get fresh air, fresh scenery and a fresh perspective on life.

That said our geocaching statistics are the best ever (low compared to other geocachers stats but high by ours)

Is that happening to others too, you are out geocaching more this year than previous years? 

We noticed an increase of geocachers finding our caches during this pandemic. Being out of the house and in fresh air, exercising, is so important for mental health during these trying times.  Geocaching is a Godsent! 

Although we are caching at our highest rate/day in a decade, we have placed more caches this year than in our cumulative caching history.  20+ caches this year vs 5 the previous 17 years.  All hiking caches, 2/3 in a 40,000 acre state game land; easy to social distance.  (And in late July, all the wild blueberries you can pick, which doesn't make the resident black bears happy.)

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1