Log Book Etiquette

JandG_Squad

3 minutes ago, JandG_Squad said:

I have found a few caches where the log book is full, and there is no room to squeeze in a second log. I have thought about replacing it, but I wasn't sure of the etiquette. Is it wise to check with the CO before replacing a log? Is that the general rule?

Adding a new logbook is OK, or adding swag... more than that (replacing the container, by instance) only after consulting the owner.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
15 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Adding a new logbook is OK, or adding swag... more than that (replacing the container, by instance) only after consulting the owner.

Ditto. I carry extra weatherproof log sheets in my kit, and I'll add one as a favor to the CO in certain situations. But I would never remove the existing log from a cache.

• Upvote 2

I'll remove it if the size of the cache container warrants it (usually micros) and then note I removed it in the log and then also contact the CO to see if they want me to mail it to them, hand it off to them, or take pictures of the log and send it to them.  I've only had a couple COs reach out to me, telling me they'd like the log and both were fine with photos.  If you really wanted to, you could take photos that show all the signatures on the log and then post them to your log.

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, JandG_Squad said:

I have found a few caches where the log book is full, and there is no room to squeeze in a second log. I have thought about replacing it, but I wasn't sure of the etiquette. Is it wise to check with the CO before replacing a log? Is that the general rule?

Congrats on finding caches with log books.  Cool.  Most we see today are merely strips of paper...    :)

If it really is a log book, I'd leave a Rite in Rain strip to tide the CO over until they can fix it themselves.

With log strips ...  if simply full, I leave a piece that'll fit with what's there, and either mention it in my log, or leave a NM. We don't take logs.

- Again, this is only to tide the CO over until they can fix it themselves.   

Simply replacing a full log strip means you're now doing their maintenance for them.  Some hope for that...

The Help Center says, "If you find a geocache in need of help (e.g. logbook is full or container is damaged), add a “Report a problem” option to your log."

• Helpful 1

Me, I just sign the log, over another signature if necessary, and try to remember to note the full log in my find log. It's not your job to replace someone else's log.

Having said that, if you want to replace it, in my opinion, you can feel free to replace a full log at will as long as you're replacing it with the right kind of log, both size and quality. Take pictures of the old log and post them with your find log. I'm guessing that there are a few COs somewhere that will complain, but my experience is that a CO never says anything but "thank-you" when someone replaces a full log.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Another irk I experienced with someone replacing my log for absolutely no necessary reason, with a log from a different cache. Quite confusing to people who arrive to sign a log and their name is already there, but they've never been to that cache before. The log was never full and there is absolutely no reason for someone to switch my log, except for convenience to them. It makes a find much faster if you don't have to open the Cache & the log, but instead just leave a different cache and log, like it's sometimes done on power trails. Mine was not near a power trail that I know of!

I have asked people who took my log to send me a photo of it.  They really didn't think it was a problem at the time. 

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1

I like my logbooks (real books - no stripes) tidy so I do not like cachers to log in between or over other logs when the logbook is full. And that's how I treat other logbooks. And so if there are markings for the logs (let's say name/date/log on one page, empty back page) I use them and not the plain pages if possible. I always think that the owner wants these markings to be used - if not every page would look the same as my logbooks look like: they are squared (is that the right word?) and everyone uses as many space as (s)he needs.

So if a logbook is full in my eyes, frontside full, but plenty of room on the backside, I'll inform the owners and let them decide what to do: "The preprinted pages are full. If you do not want the cachers to log on the empty back pages please put out a new logbook. If you want them to do so there is plenty of room left."

And I don't mention a full logbook to late ("The logbook is overfull and should be replaced.") but in advance: "The logbook" (or just the preprinted pages) "is almost full. There's room for two or three logs so it should be exchanged soon." In this case the owner can replace the logbook before the cachers log anywhere they want because the book is full.

I just use "needs maintenance" when the book is really full or if I use the last space but I like to mention this "almost full" state in my logs. The owner than can decide what to do and if I'll get such a log I know that I have to exchange the book soon if I want it to be tidy. :-

I keep all the logbooks (that don't disappear when the cache is stolen) and used to read old logs. I don't do the latter anymore but still want to have them in my collection.

Jochen

21 hours ago, frostengel said:

I like my logbooks (real books - no stripes) tidy so I do not like cachers to log in between or over other logs when the logbook is full.

How often do your logbooks get full? I doubt it's very often. Besides, with a real logbook, there's *always* room somewhere to sign it.

So although I don't think this observation applies to any of your logs, logically, if a log is full, I have a choice of overwriting an old signature or not claiming the find since I haven't signed the log. Guess which I'm going to do. And I don't think I'm being selfish: I think that's what the CO should want me to do, too. I know you *want* all the signatures, but that old signature has been in the log for N years. You've probably already looked at it. I think my new signature's more important that the old, faded signature I overwrote. Don't you?

So if a logbook is full in my eyes, frontside full, but plenty of room on the backside, I'll inform the owners and let them decide what to do: "The preprinted pages are full. If you do not want the cachers to log on the empty back pages please put out a new logbook. If you want them to do so there is plenty of room left."

It always helps to alert the CO, but I just tell him about the log. I'd never make suggestions about what he should do about it. I don't have the hubris to tell the CO that supplied the original log how or when to go about replacing it.

I just use "needs maintenance" when the book is really full or if I use the last space but I like to mention this "almost full" state in my logs.

Bah. I don't consider an almost full log -- or even a completely full log -- worthy of an NM. To me, a cache need maintenance when there's something detracting from it's roll as a game piece. There's nothing about a full log that makes the cache not playable.

• Upvote 1