Need to contact my boss

iconions

Okay, here's a new one.  I have made changes to the American Civil War Discovery Sites category, with approval of my group, to require two photos - a closeup of the marker and an area photo of the marker.  I've got a waymarker not happy with this.  He is wanting the name , title, and email address of my boss so he can appeal the decision.  He feels that it isn't fair that two photos are required.  
Hmmmm....  I'm guessing that my only Waymarking boss is my wife - she is the only one that has power over me whether or not I can go out and play.   

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 5
2 minutes ago, iconions said:

Okay, here's a new one.  I have made changes to the American Civil War Discovery Sites category, with approval of my group, to require two photos - a closeup of the marker and an area photo of the marker.  I've got a waymarker not happy with this.  He is wanting the name , title, and email address of my boss so he can appeal the decision.  He feels that it isn't fair that two photos are required.  
Hmmmm....  I'm guessing that my only Waymarking boss is my wife - she is the only one that has power over me whether or not I can go out and play.   

I'm sure Lumbricus would be happy to help! :anibad:

Just kidding!

Can't you send the waymark to vote?

Edited by Max and 99
37 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm sure Lumbricus would be happy to help! :anibad:

Just kidding!

Can't you send the waymark to vote?

He wants me to go back to the old one photo requirement - our category changed this because just having a picture of the marker doesn't do justice to what is being talked about.  The waymarker is using old photos and didn't take but the one photo.  In this case, it's a complete violation of new requirements, so there isn't anything to vote about.  

In fact, it is actually one of my officers doing the denial - I'm getting the blame for it 'cause he knows me...  :)

• Love 1

Category changes can seem unfair if you have a lot of photos you took for a category and the rules changed before you could get them posted. It's best to let the community know a change is coming and when it will go into effect. A 3 month delay in implementation of the change in category requirements after alerting the community seems fair. Otherwise, it is being unfair in my honest opinion.

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I like the idea of a delay in implementation. Maybe put it in the category description and post it in the forums. 

The problem with a delay is that waymarkers are still going to complain that the change is being made, even when the delay is over.   These old categories - pre peer review, 2005 and 2006 are in some cases just awful in their requirements.  People don't like the fact that these old category requirements are tightened - even a little bit.  Even requiring just a modicum of a long description and you'd think that someone was being tarred and feathered.  No, most people actually do more than the required photos already - an area shot of a marker is a pretty standard requirement and not unreasonable.   Let's get these old categories cleaned up and tightened up, so that the waymarks being produced are better quality.

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, iconions said:

He is wanting the name , title, and email address of my boss so he can appeal the decision.  He feels that it isn't fair that two photos are required.  

Funniest thing I've read all day, Tom...as someone who was active on the BBS circuit years ago and who had his share of "I know your boss and I'm going to get you in trouble even though I really don't and I really can't", I feel your ... laughter.  You can't even get away from the whole "Karen" and "I want to speak to your manager" thing even out here in cyberspace!

• Surprised 1
4 hours ago, ggmorton said:

Category changes can seem unfair if you have a lot of photos you took for a category and the rules changed before you could get them posted.

Can't argue with that at all, that's reasonable, but Tom's talking about someone who wants to talk to the manager because he's got to provide two photos.

• Funny 1
39 minutes ago, QuarrellaDeVil said:

Funniest thing I've read all day, Tom...as someone who was active on the BBS circuit years ago and who had his share of "I know your boss and I'm going to get you in trouble even though I really don't and I really can't", I feel your ... laughter.  You can't even get away from the whole "Karen" and "I want to speak to your manager" thing even out here in cyberspace!

We've caught users pulling pictures off Google and Facebook and posting them as their own waymarks.  I'm sorry that this user has been caught up by other waymarkers deciding not to play by the terms of service .  This user HAS been going by the new rules for new pictures, but has a bunch of old pictures, taken from who knows when that don't comply, and taken for other purposes besides Waymarking.  Sorry, I'm not compromising for that. 

I didn't ask for a compromise on the several waymarks I had to eat from my May trip because of changed photo requirements.  Yea, it kinda sucks.  These a lot of these old categories have hugely crappy category descriptions that have been ignored for far too long.  When reasonable updates are made to them, man, you'd think someone was getting a beating from all of the screaming.  Honestly, BASIC, MINIMUM Waymarking should be a closeup picture of the object, a photo of the object and the area, and as decent a writeup as you can do.   Categories may have further requirements than this.  We need to update these old categories so that the days of no long descriptions are long gone!!!!  As an officer, you really shouldn't deny unless that statement is in the long description.  Do you give three months leeway for that?  I wouldn't. 

I'm guessing that the names of my bosses are Jackson and Hamilton, as they are pictured on the U.S. Currency I give to Groundspeak every August to play this game.  I'm not sure their email addresses though.   Anyway, thanks everyone for the feedback.  I really do understand the other side of this issue.  Again, I would rather push people towards excellence than to enable mediocrity, which is exactly what bad category descriptions do.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, iconions said:

I'm guessing that the names of my bosses are Jackson and Hamilton, as they are pictured on the U.S. Currency I give to Groundspeak every August to play this game.  I'm not sure their email addresses though.

You pay in cash?!?!?! :o Really, Tom, there are better ways, some of them accomplished electronically. :D :D:D

Anyhow, though, Tom, again, I'm with ya!!

I, like many others have run up against the not enough pix dilemma, and it would never for a second occur to me to try to interfere with the operation of a category simply go get one more Waymark approved. That's just not Kosher.

Keith

Hello from an essentially dormant Waymark poster!

Along with ggmorton and Max and 99, I'd be in favor of a grace period as a general policy for changes to any category across the Waymarking platform.

Wrapped up my first WM year in December 2019 feeling really accomplished and somewhat burnt out. Though I just uploaded again for the first time this week, I have been snapping pictures consistently over the past eight months; I've got over 250 Waymarks to contribute, many of which were captured during one-time visits to out-of-state/non-local locations from January through March of 2020. It's especially unlikely there will be opportunities to get back to those places in my regular course of travels, let alone go far from home as we're in the middle of this pandemic...There's a good chance many of us are in the same situation, global health crisis or not. So, even though this specific category change doesn't affect me, I believe some empathy and flexibility in this case could well be what we need for keeping the peace and  creating good will within the Waymarking community.

That being said, I'm totally in favor of three or more absolutely distinct and different photos as a minimum quantity for any and all Waymarks. (eg. Cropping doesn't count; and neither does "drive-by" shooting.) As I've said before: Multiple, decent quality pictures can be captured within a relatively short time, depending on the subject's overall size, details, and accessibility. With a slight bit of concerted effort, each group of images can be enhanced using a "shoot and move" attitude. Make each photograph different by changing the viewing angle in relation to the subject...go to the center/right/left; nearer/further away; higher/lower; show the front/side/back.

Edited by 401Photos
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

You pay in cash?!?!?! :o Really, Tom, there are better ways, some of them accomplished electronically. :D :D:D

Anyhow, though, Tom, again, I'm with ya!!

I, like many others have run up against the not enough pix dilemma, and it would never for a second occur to me to try to interfere with the operation of a category simply go get one more Waymark approved. That's just not Kosher.

Keith

Well, someone DID somehow skim my debit card three weeks ago and tried to run up $1600 in charges - $900 of which was at samsbeauty.com.  Anyone that truly knows me understands that I would NEVER order from samsbeauty as I have the face for radio and the voice for print!  :) :D :D :)   .  I was going to see if Groundspeak would take S & H Green Stamps, but my credit union got me my new debit card in two days, stopped three of the four charges. and we disputed the fourth, which luckily samsbeauty was able to stop shipment and get back so no harm no foul to anyone.  Thank Goodness!!!!!  

Whoa!!! Now there's (nearly) a tale of woe if ever I heard one. Ya always think it'll never happen to you.

I imagine that could happen to me with a credit card, but I should be relatively safe with debit cards. Every month, after the bills are paid I transfer any extra into a bank for which I intentionally have no debit card, which should make it slightly safer. That doesn't protect credit cards, though. One of my card companies contacted me several months ago, saying that they had had a breach and member info was stolen. So far nothing untoward has happened, though.

Sure glad you didn't get left on the hook for $900 worth of moisturizer.

Don't ask me for my supervisor's name and email address and in the same breath ask me if everything is going to be the same....  Ummm, dude, you are in the process of going all "Karen"  (I apologize to all of the Karen's out there - it's just the term du jour.) and you expect me to smile and say things are hunky-dory.  Ummm, I hafta do that at work; this ain't work, regardless to what you feel.  I will still review your waymarks - they better have the "i's" dotted and the "t's" crossed.   

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 1