List Download Failed

OneEighth

Almost every time to try to download a list for offline use it fails. I keep trying to download a single list over and over and it keeps failing. Sometimes a list will download quickly without issue and others just refuse to at all.

Galaxy S9+
Android Version 10

App version 8.30.1

• Upvote 1

I just tried it on my Android and it worked immediately. At the risk of asking the obvious: you are attempting to download while you have wifi?

Version 8.29.2

Android 10

Wait. There's a problem.

The list clearly showed that the geocaches had downloaded. But then a minute later I got a notice on my phone that there was a trouble downloading the list.

"List download failed". But it sure looked like the list downloaded!

Edited by Max and 99

I have been trying to download a seven cache list for two days.  Each and every time I try it I get "List download failed".  Have tried downloading other lists with no luck as well.  Can't geocache in areas with no cell service without it.  Have tried downloading using wifi and cell service, same issue.  

• Upvote 1

I have been trying to download various offline lists for at least three weeks with no luck at all.  Each time I try, I get List Download Failed.  Have tried with wi-fi and without.  Previously I could download an offline list with no problem whatsoever, but something has changed and I can no longer do this.  Would someone at Groundspeak please take a look into this issue.  We often cache in areas with no cell service and without an offline list, we are dead in the water.  Help!

It seems to work or not at complete randomness. Some days I cannot get it to work at all for any list of any size and other days I can download 10 lists in a row with no issue. It's annoying because sometimes I am trying to download a list for a remote area right before I leave and it holds me hostage at my house. 

On 9/7/2020 at 10:36 PM, Max and 99 said:

I continue to get the download failed message. ☹️

We are full-time RVers and rely mostly on cell service.  We changed locations yesterday and I have 5 bars of AT&T 4G service and tried a 3 cache list and it worked.  Then I tried a 250 cache list for our next location that won't have good cell service and it failed after appearing to get all the way to the end of the download.  I then connected to my Verizon hot spot (which only shows 2 bars of 4G) and it successfully downloaded the 250 cache list.  Fortunately, we have a Garmin Montana GPSr and use GSAK to download caches to it, so we do have a backup.  If we were relying just on our cell phones, we wouldn't be doing much caching if we relied on downloading offline lists.

Same problem here.  Smaller lists eventually load but with bigger lists it is completely hit or miss for no apparent reason. 

As OneEighth says above , this is extremely frustrating when you want a quick download before heading out on a mission !!  It appears to be an android issue regardless of which device.  I have had this problem on both Motorola e5 and a Moto e6.

Have Groundspeak made any comment on this issue, and particularly have they got a resolution? 

I get this problem all time, using android. Getting it this morning which means our trip out later is a lottery. To be honest I think it's been the same for years on and off. Shocking that it hasn't been fixed, don't we pay for this service? I do as a premium member anyway 

Edited by the squids
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, SmileyPanda said:

anyone know a way to download the lists through a usb cable?

Not directly from The Official App.  Using a PC on the web site, choose "Download GPX" on any List, save it to a folder.  It can be more complicated from a phone, if that's what you want.

Edited by kunarion

Found a work-around that works for me

After Download failure, go to Lists, click the menu circle for that list

Select Map view

The Map and caches will show

Set phone in airplane mode

You are now set for the day as long as you don’t switch to another list.

You will not be able to zoom close in the map. Download the offline Google map and switch to it.

9 hours ago, ardila.nl said:

I've tried last night, several times and I've tried this morning but there is no movement in the download bar.

Android 11
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Version 8.60.1

Lists load very slowly this morning.  My list that has 76 caches in it required a couple of minutes to begin, then loaded in fits and starts for two more minutes.  My list with 500 caches has the tiniest sliver of a load arc after 5 minutes. I also tried it in Geooh Go, and it seems about the same, but you can see the cache count more easily as it loads.  Retry and it can load at a decent rate, but not reliably.  It seems random, like a server issue.  I'm getting "List Download Failed" notifications when the download takes too long.

I next tried it on my iPhone 8, and Lists load OK.  Then I returned to my Droid, and it's still very slow.

Version 8.60.1
Android 11
samsung SM-T970

[EDIT]:  I tried the same Lists/PQs in Locus Map Pro, and caches load without issue.  I then tried The Official App, and it's still the same, very slow or failing to load Lists.  That's weird.

Note that The Official App calls everything a "List" regardless of whether it's a List or Pocket Query.  Locus Map Pro calls Lists "Bookmarks".  So it can be hard to narrow down an issue that exclusively applies to "Lists" (formerly called Bookmarks).  But at this time I'm seeing no difference when trying to load "Lists" and "Pocket Queries" among the various Apps.

And I load my Garmin Oregon handheld GPS a couple of days in advance of a trip, and Pocket Queries typically load without issue.  I make PQs from my "Lists", so I can run them and load them the same way.  Anyway, I don't rely on "a phone" for Geocaching, I think we can see why.  I load my Garmin and go.  

Edited by kunarion
6 hours ago, kunarion said:

Lists load very slowly this morning

I found out it was 1 Wherigo at the top of my list that refused to download. (also when trying to open the cache itself to view the full details)
After removing it from the list the rest downloaded without issues.
Screenshot_20211023-081839_Geocaching.thumb.jpg.c99b36ad6e6e3361138cd19ab4c93f50.jpg

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, ardila.nl said:

I found out it was 1 Wherigo at the top of my list that refused to download. (also when trying to open the cache itself to view the full details)
After removing it from the list the rest downloaded without issues.

That’s some great detective work! :)

I might try filtering to see what changes.   But my list of 76 caches contains only Traditionals.  It was as slow as the others this morning.

I don’t have access to my Droid at the moment, but my Lists loaded OK just now on my iPhone.

Edited by kunarion
On 10/23/2021 at 3:58 PM, kunarion said:

Note that The Official App calls everything a "List" regardless of whether it's a List or Pocket Query.

The list has "last modified" in small text underneath it.
The PQ has "last generated" in small text underneath it.
(Or whatever the correct English translation is, it says something similar to that in Dutch)
Screenshot_20211025-141409_Geocaching_kopie.thumb.jpg.6005a47f6ce36e8695cea89d4c667ddd.jpg

That's how you can tell the lists and PQ apart in the official app.
The PQ from the list was generated without issues.

Edited by ardila.nl
added screenshot
2 hours ago, ardila.nl said:

The list has "last modified" in small text underneath it.
The PQ has "last generated" in small text underneath it.
(Or whatever the correct English translation is, it says something similar to that in Dutch)
Screenshot_20211025-141409_Geocaching_kopie.thumb.jpg.6005a47f6ce36e8695cea89d4c667ddd.jpg

That's how you can tell the lists and PQ apart in the official app.
The PQ from the list was generated without issues.

Yes, the App treats them differently.  I meant that by design, the App lumps them all together on the "Lists" page.  I use the subtle clues to tell apart my "Go Find" List from the "Go Find" Pocket Query that I made from it. :P

On 10/25/2021 at 9:44 AM, kunarion said:

Yes, the App treats them differently.  I meant that by design, the App lumps them all together on the "Lists" page.  I use the subtle clues to tell apart my "Go Find" List from the "Go Find" Pocket Query that I made from it. :P

So how do i get a PQ into the app for offline use? Step by step please.

thnx

49 minutes ago, wally_k said:

So how do i get a PQ into the app for offline use? Step by step please.

thnx

You must first generate your Pocket Query by selecting a day for it to run (which would likely be the current day if you want it right away) and

clicking "Submit", and

waiting for it to run. 

When it's available (ready to download), it will automatically be among the Lists in The Official App.  Then you can save it for offline use just like a List, and that Pocket Query will be shown for 7 days.

Next go to your Lists in The App and save the PQ's offline data with the green round arrow button.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=7&pgid=118

Edited by kunarion

Work around-------------

After the "download" quits with error, click menu and Map view. Wait a while (it seems that there is some more stuff to download. If you continue to soon, not all the data is available for some caches). 

Turn on airplane mode.

You are set to go as long as you don't get out off the app.

Funny thing, c:geo downloads offline data very quickly all the time.

1 hour ago, wally_k said:

Work around-------------

After the "download" quits with error, click menu and Map view. Wait a while (it seems that there is some more stuff to download. If you continue to soon, not all the data is available for some caches). 

Turn on airplane mode.

You are set to go as long as you don't get out off the app.

Funny thing, c:geo downloads offline data very quickly all the time.

If everyone used a web scraping App at once, the download and the entire site could slow to a crawl in that case, too. :ph34r:

Both my Android and iPhone Apps stall while loading Lists and PQs, all the time.  I'll be getting packed for a short trip and... uh-oh... I didn't load these yesterday!  So I'll be leaving a half hour later than I'd expected, or else live without offline data on the Apps.  Which means I won't be using the tablet or phone for much of a trip.  But even "offline data" is missing maps and most everything else anyway.  Yeah, I know, that's the the stuff everyone insists is loaded for offline use.  I can see my phone screen and it's definitely not there, so people need to stop telling me it's there. B)

If the issue is about finding software other than The Official App, try Locus Maps (Android) and Cachly (iPhone) that are approved Apps and tend to load Lists faster when they stall on The Official App.  And the Windows program GSAK can grab thousands of caches quickly.  AND manually download a List or Pocket Query from the web site, unzip it and place it onto a handheld GPS, and you get a pretty consistent and fast download while you see these threads about "Phone App Loading Lists Too Slowly" come and go.  AND create a GPX file by manual download or whatever, and several Apps accept such files.

• Helpful 1