Waymark Private Messages being Deleted

ggmorton

3 minutes ago, ggmorton said:

I have a waymark that I am editing before submittal and it always deletes what I had entered in the Private Message field. Once I save and go back, it is gone. I have no way of knowing if it is being deleted and never seen by the waymark reviewers.

This is a long-standing and well-known glitch. The solution is to edit anything on the wm page when you create the private message. Edit anything. After you save  the edit changes, click on edit and you'll see the private messages is visible. 

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

This is a long-standing and well-known glitch. The solution is to edit anything on the wm page when you create the private message. Edit anything. After you save  the edit changes, click on edit and you'll see the private messages is visible. 

Great! It works. Thanks! I can't remember if this was a problem for me back in the early days of Waymarking.

Not to be Negative Nelly, just facing up to reality...I know that work on the Private Message field most likely won't happen, but if someone gets under the hood,  I've observed another annoyance over time:

Submit a Waymark with a private message.  While the Waymark write-up should speak for itself, there are times when you may have to explain your thinking to the reviewer, and that may not be appropriate for the Waymark text.  OK, the reviewer takes a look and says "I'd like the rest of the group to give me some input here."  When they call a vote, the other reviewers cannot see the private message, or at least, the last I knew.  I've had a few votes over time where it would have helped the reviewers if they had know my point of view when I hit Submit (and I have one pending right now where I won't be offended if it doesn't pass, but it's annoying to know that the other reviewers can't see what I said).  Special thanks goes to a couple of great category officers who sent me private messages, we went back and forth, and even with a decline or a pass-by-the-skin-of-its-teeth vote, we were able to hammer something out that wouldn't be a problem down the road.

Of course, this all fails when you submit a waymark with a private message and the reviewer simply doesn't read it, glances at a few photos and doesn't read your narrative, draws their own conclusion, calls a vote, and leads the other reviewers down the rabbit hole.  If they could see that private message, that could be beneficial, I think.

• Upvote 1