Topo Maps 100k to 24k load source

Currently have 64st that comes with 100k topo maps. wish to purchase 24k west US maps

I see it comes in direct download and SD card.  Can you load into unit off the card or must it be run with card in unit.  I currently have many custom maps on my sd card and don't wish to remove it, but would like permanent source as I have always had cd's before.

If you order it on an SD card, it will only work on that SD card.

If you order it direct download, you can always re-download it. That purchase is stored in your history indefinitely. However it will be locked to that unit. I think the SD Card option is locked to that card, and that card can be transferred between units.

Honestly, I don't think the 24k maps are worth their cost. There are plenty of free (although non-routable) detailed topo maps for the US over at gpsfiledepot.com, and there are plenty of OSM options for getting those roads and trails routable. OSM maps do have their pitfalls, many of which can be solved by adding data to the map yourself. But at least it is both free an updatable.

Mineral2 is correct. Download is locked to one device, microSD card is locked to the card, and can be used in any unit.

If the microSD card ever fails, you lose your map. If you accidentally erase the microSD card, you lose your map.

I am unsure how long it has been since the 24k maps have been updated. Most recent version I have are from 2008. 

There are many great maps available for free from many sources, and GPSFileDepot is a good start. Many more are listed at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 64 > Maps.

Why not try some free maps first before plunking down your $$ for potentially decade old mapping?

Edited by Atlas Cached