Oregon 450 “Route Calculation Error’

Bought this GPS many years ago and it used to work great for geocaching plus just general driving around directions.  Worked great for a year or so, but then it would give me a “route calculation error, maps do not have routable roads in this area” message. I gave up and put it away for years after handing it over to anyone who was techie to see if they could figure this out without fixing it.

Looking at the screen it shows all the streets and it seems to work Taking me to a geocache if I’m just looking at the compass.  But I keep getting that stupid error message when I try to use it for driving, even putting it on Automobile or telling it to take me to a local business it knows is nearby.  Two maps are enabled - Metro guide North America Version 8 and Worldwide DEM basement NR.

Now I want to get back in to geocaching a bit, but have no idea what to do with this thing.  I no longer have a Windows computer, just an ipad.  When the libraries open again for entrance to patrons, I can use their Window’s computers.  I’d like to get this issue fixed.  I liked the paperless caching it was able to do.  If it cannot be fixed I understand the Garmin 66S may Be my next closest option (with no computer), but I’ve read there are issues with that. Using my phone isn’t an option, it has bad battery life and not much available memory for more apps.  Thought of maybe selling this but I read on these forums there are plenty of people who still enjoy their Oregon 450, so it seems there’s hope.

Edited by Keystone

Metro Guide maps are very basic and do not include the same level of detail and routing information as modern mapping products do.

You need more modern maps with routing data installed on the device, and most everyone's favorite solution to that is OSM (Open Street Maps).

Depending on your location, there may be several OSM options for you.

Check out GPSrChive > How To... > Maps for detailed information and a list of many popular OSM map sources.