The most Favorited Virtual Caches on each continent

1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

Has anyone checked the ratings of some of these virtual caches? Example:
Antarctica D1/T1.  :rolleyes::laughing:.

When I did the 1.5/1.5 Lane Cove (GC3E), I paddled about 8km up-river from Linley Point, but most people don't come at it via the T5 route :laughing:. Not sure about the blog article saying it's just outside Sydney, as that park is slap bang in the middle of suburbia and is very much an urban national park.

1 hour ago, ecanderson said:

If you're already at McMurdo, it's a piece of cake.

Granted, the location isn't one that a large number of cachers would visit, but it's no more difficult to get there than most places.

GCHN13 would be a bit more work.

At the very least it isn't 1T from the photographs of people in front of the sign. That's a rocky slope to it and I can't imagine a person in a wheelchair managing that.

• Funny 1
34 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

When I did the 1.5/1.5 Lane Cove (GC3E), I paddled about 8km up-river from Linley Point, but most people don't come at it via the T5 route :laughing:. Not sure about the blog article saying it's just outside Sydney, as that park is slap bang in the middle of suburbia and is very much an urban national park.

I really must go get that one one day, when it's safe to visit Sydney again.

Good way to go when paddling; up-river, then, it's go with the flow for the return.

12 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I really must go get that one one day, when it's safe to visit Sydney again.

Good way to go when paddling; up-river, then, it's go with the flow for the return.

It's tidal most of the way (the weir would be about 1.5km down from GZ) so if you time it right, you can go with the flow both ways. Unless there's been heavy rain, above the weir there's not that much flow either.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ecanderson said:

If you're already at McMurdo, it's a piece of cake.

Granted, the location isn't one that a large number of cachers would visit, but it's no more difficult to get there than most places.

GCHN13 would be a bit more work.

Yeah, I can imagine. This one here: https://coord.info/GC1XCWW

certainly is not a T5 as you simply book a boot tour to that place and walk a short distance. It's a rather expensive trip, but that should not even be reflected on Difficulty :tongue:

The Dry Tortugas virtual 16.000.000 bricks (now archived) we did in 2008 was a T5. The hardest part was getting in/out of the floatplane B) It could also be reached by boat.

The hole in the rock EC by @funkymunkyzone is also a T5 but we only had to sit/stand on the tour boat to log it.

The Emerald Lakes EC also by @funkymunkyzone is a T4.5 but requires a 20Km hike across the volcanoes at Tongariro Nat. Park so it was a lot harder to do than the boat tour.

As for physical caches, virtuals/EC D/T ratings can be weird at times.

Should the trip to GZ be reflected in the D/T rating or not? For a local something may be very easy but for someone from the other side of the globe it may be near impossible.

10 minutes ago, on4bam said:

The Dry Tortugas virtual 16.000.000 bricks (now archived) we did in 2008 was a T5. The hardest part was getting in/out of the floatplane B) It could also be reached by boat.

The hole in the rock EC by @funkymunkyzone is also a T5 but we only had to sit/stand on the tour boat to log it.

The Emerald Lakes EC also by @funkymunkyzone is a T4.5 but requires a 20Km hike across the volcanoes at Tongariro Nat. Park so it was a lot harder to do than the boat tour.

As for physical caches, virtuals/EC D/T ratings can be weird at times.

Should the trip to GZ be reflected in the D/T rating or not? For a local something may be very easy but for someone from the other side of the globe it may be near impossible.

To me, the terrain rating should reflect the difficulty in getting to GZ if one were a local to the area.   Unless some sort of special vehicle is required to get "close" to GZ, the use of some form of transportation other than walking shouldn't change the rating.  A special vehicle could include things like a helicoptor, private plane or boat, snowmobile, or other vehicle that isn't commonly used.   I wouldn't consider a public ferry, commercial airline, a taxi or uber a special vehicle/

18 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Yeah, wish I'd known about caching when I visited there.  Decided it would be fun to snorkel around the fort, only to discover that the current that made it easier to get around to the back side was pretty brutal trying to get back, and with the wall as tall as it was out of the water, it was very difficult to grab hold for a rest.  Was beginning to wonder if I'd ever get out.  Saw an awful lot of bricks that day!

6 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

Decided it would be fun to snorkel around the fort, only to discover that the current that made it easier to get around to the back side was pretty brutal trying to get back

We stayed at one side, very calm and easy to snorkel. We didn't have a lot of time  as we spend most wandering the grounds.

Anyway, these sort of caches are the only ones we can do to log high T values. I'd only rate it T2 or T2.5 seeing how little effort it REALLY takes (get in a plane, get on a boat). For some of these caches maybe T1 should be enough if the transport is fit for wheelchairs.