Louisiana PING!?!

Guest ClayJar

Guest rpecot

A friend of mine told me about this site a year ago. I'm just now getting around to looking at it. I'm pretty psyched. I just won a Garmin Vista on eBay and I'm looking forward to my first hunt. I've also got a couple of locations in mind to stash my own cache.

So I guess you could say I'm a geocacher. I'm just waiting on the GPS.

Guest ClayJar

Welcome to the game, then. I only picked up my Magellan last week, but I've been to Palomino Cache just north of BR, and I've gone to 31N91W and taken pictures for the Degree Confluence Project http://www.confluence.org/ . I never quite realized that GPS could give me such good reasons to get out and go places. icon_smile.gif

Now I'm just hoping that we have a few more people in this state that are "in" on geocaching.

Guest ClayJar

Welcome to the game, then. I only picked up my Magellan last week, but I've been to Palomino Cache just north of BR, and I've gone to 31N91W and taken pictures for the Degree Confluence Project http://www.confluence.org/ . I never quite realized that GPS could give me such good reasons to get out and go places. icon_smile.gif

Now I'm just hoping that we have a few more people in this state that are "in" on geocaching.

Guest rpecot

I'm a bit bummed. After lurking through the forums it appears that caches within National Wildlife Refuge land is illegal. I had a great place in mind.

Guest erik88L-R

Geocaching banned??? I had heard the contrary - that the La. State Parks had embraced (well, accepted) geocaching. Anyone there know one way or the other.

We have our own State Park problem in Geogia, but were hoping to use your state as an example of one that is OK with it.

Guest ClayJar

National Wildlike Refuge land isn't under the state park system, right? (I'm not sure if it's actually NPS-administered or not.)

As for La. State Parks, well, they don't have to follow the same procedures as the somewhat over-cautious NPS administration, and if what you've heard is correct, it would seem that my fair state has decided to follow a distinctly more friendly tack.

With only five hours left before my weekend starts (I love working for a school system), I intend to enjoy more of the Louisiana outdoors than I have in the 15 years since I moved down here. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 14 June 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

National Wildlike Refuge land isn't under the state park system, right? (I'm not sure if it's actually NPS-administered or not.)

As for La. State Parks, well, they don't have to follow the same procedures as the somewhat over-cautious NPS administration, and if what you've heard is correct, it would seem that my fair state has decided to follow a distinctly more friendly tack.

With only five hours left before my weekend starts (I love working for a school system), I intend to enjoy more of the Louisiana outdoors than I have in the 15 years since I moved down here. icon_smile.gif

Guest ClayJar

Okay... I seem to be the only Louisianian speaking up around here. Well, I guess I'll keep talking until someone shows up. icon_smile.gif

I'm working toward planting my first cache (have to work out a time to bring a guy out to try geocaching so he can okay a stash). Anyway, the location will be outside of Livingston, LA. The terrain will be 1-2 (that's all we have around here), and I'm not sure about the difficulty.

Anyway, I hope Louisiana geocachers happen to join this thread soon. It'd be nice to get together with some geocachers. (It gets rather quiet down here, but at least I have an active LUG.)

Guest ClayJar

Okay... I seem to be the only Louisianian speaking up around here. Well, I guess I'll keep talking until someone shows up. icon_smile.gif

I'm working toward planting my first cache (have to work out a time to bring a guy out to try geocaching so he can okay a stash). Anyway, the location will be outside of Livingston, LA. The terrain will be 1-2 (that's all we have around here), and I'm not sure about the difficulty.

Anyway, I hope Louisiana geocachers happen to join this thread soon. It'd be nice to get together with some geocachers. (It gets rather quiet down here, but at least I have an active LUG.)

Guest rpecot

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

From what I understand, NWR DOES fall under the NPS jurisdiction. I stumbled on a post somewhere in here on the subject. Oh well, I may stash it anyway icon_wink.gif

Long story, but my GPS is finally on its way. Hope to start chasing caches soon.

Guest rpecot

quote:

From what I understand, NWR DOES fall under the NPS jurisdiction. I stumbled on a post somewhere in here on the subject. Oh well, I may stash it anyway icon_wink.gif

Long story, but my GPS is finally on its way. Hope to start chasing caches soon.

Guest ClayJar

Yipee! Another geocacher in Louisiana! (Ignore me; it's the whole alone-on-a-desert-island complex.)

I'm still working on negotiating the precise location of a cache outside of Livingston. The guy was a bit busy last week... something about getting engaged and stuff. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I hope to have that one planted sometime within a couple weeks at worst. (It gets a bit hard to get together to plant a cache when you're out of state hunting caches all weekend.)

You know what I was thinking? Is there any place at or near Avery Island that could have a cache (maybe with permission or whatever)? It just seems to me that it's a shame to have the home of Tabasco right here in Louisiana, and there isn't a cache there. (Actually, considering people find Tabasco literally all over the entire world, it seems more like a crying shame.)

Guest ClayJar

Yipee! Another geocacher in Louisiana! (Ignore me; it's the whole alone-on-a-desert-island complex.)

I'm still working on negotiating the precise location of a cache outside of Livingston. The guy was a bit busy last week... something about getting engaged and stuff. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I hope to have that one planted sometime within a couple weeks at worst. (It gets a bit hard to get together to plant a cache when you're out of state hunting caches all weekend.)

You know what I was thinking? Is there any place at or near Avery Island that could have a cache (maybe with permission or whatever)? It just seems to me that it's a shame to have the home of Tabasco right here in Louisiana, and there isn't a cache there. (Actually, considering people find Tabasco literally all over the entire world, it seems more like a crying shame.)

Guest rpecot

quote:

It just seems to me that it's a shame to have the home of Tabasco right here in Louisiana, and there isn't a cache there. (Actually, considering people find Tabasco literally all over the entire world, it seems more like a crying shame.)

Ha! Funny story. I spent a month in Holland attending training for my company and every table in the cafateria had a bottle of Tabasco on it! It was nice to have a taste of home (literaly) when I was so far away. icon_smile.gif

Guest rpecot

quote:

It just seems to me that it's a shame to have the home of Tabasco right here in Louisiana, and there isn't a cache there. (Actually, considering people find Tabasco literally all over the entire world, it seems more like a crying shame.)

Ha! Funny story. I spent a month in Holland attending training for my company and every table in the cafateria had a bottle of Tabasco on it! It was nice to have a taste of home (literaly) when I was so far away. icon_smile.gif

Guest ClayJar

If you take the time to delve the archives of Smiley Anders column in The Advocate from Baton Rouge, they had an extensive discussion about where people had seen Tabasco. Unfortunately, it's been a long time ago, and I'm not up for the challenge of finding it. icon_smile.gif

I do know that the archive goes back a whole lot farther than the little drop-box index. I looked back almost two years to find a mention I had regarding my very exceedingly best friend's pilfered honors cord from her high school graduation. I eventually did find it, though, and now I have it archived permanently (the cord was never returned). It was almost like geocaching... e-caching, perhaps? (AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!! I can't believe I said that!)

Guest ClayJar

If you take the time to delve the archives of Smiley Anders column in The Advocate from Baton Rouge, they had an extensive discussion about where people had seen Tabasco. Unfortunately, it's been a long time ago, and I'm not up for the challenge of finding it. icon_smile.gif

I do know that the archive goes back a whole lot farther than the little drop-box index. I looked back almost two years to find a mention I had regarding my very exceedingly best friend's pilfered honors cord from her high school graduation. I eventually did find it, though, and now I have it archived permanently (the cord was never returned). It was almost like geocaching... e-caching, perhaps? (AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!! I can't believe I said that!)

Guest rpecot

quote:

Happy first cache find, rpecot! (I haven't gone to that one yet, but I'll get there as soon as I'm in state on the weekend, hence the watching.)

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Be sure to bring A LOT of bug spray. It was fun, but would have been nicer in the fall or winter.

Guest rpecot

quote:

Happy first cache find, rpecot! (I haven't gone to that one yet, but I'll get there as soon as I'm in state on the weekend, hence the watching.)

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Be sure to bring A LOT of bug spray. It was fun, but would have been nicer in the fall or winter.

Guest ClayJar

Yep. Seen it. Not the most active place I've ever seen, but it's got a bit of information about the LA caches. (Guess I should work out my cache plants to give them more stuff to put up; that'll have to be next week, though, since I'll be in Georgia this weekend.)

Guest ClayJar

eople think it'd be neat to meet other geocaching people? If we have any people who want to converge sometime, we can start figuring out what general area to choose.

Guest ClayJar

Okay, here's one for you Louisiana geocachers: Do any of you know any really good spots for water-skiing anywhere in southeast (more or less) Louisiana? Anything from the coast up to Alexandria and between Mississippi and most of the way to Texas would be in range (this is coming from Baton Rouge, of course).

I have a friend whose dad got a new boat a few weeks ago, and I'd really like to both find a good spot for them to do the water stuff and for me to find a spot for a cache (which I will then get her to help stash).

Guest ClayJar

Oooooh, goodie! I've got some new people lined up to go geocaching and hiking with me. Myself and another Louisiana cacher or two are discussing LAGG-1 for sometime late August or more likely September, so if anyone wants to put their two cents in, post away.

(I'm hoping to try the really cool sounding cache SW of Alex this weekend... and it's only about 1.3 miles from an as-of-yet unvisted confluence, IIRC... I hope I can talk J^2 into trying that, too.)

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 02 August 2001).]

Guest philgolden

As for www.lageocaching.com -- you're right, it was not too active for a while there. Trying to get the word out was tough. But hopefully you have noticed that it has been updated almost daily for the past month.

Thanks!

Phil

[This message has been edited by philgolden (edited 07 August 2001).]

Guest Pat in Louisiana

I'm in Baton Rouge (Sherwood Forest) Just started doing this Geocaching and getting hooked fast. I've had a GPS for years and use it mainly for mapping hunting areas. I went out in the rain today and found the Palamino Cache. Had a ball! I'll be placing a cache of my own soon.

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then"

Jimmy Buffet

Guest Pat in Louisiana

Found my 2nd Cache and met some other GeoCachers at "Sugar Mill"! Nice Park. I might have to go back and camp.

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

30:27:13.392N

91:02:55.054W

I never get lost!

I simply investigate alternate destinations!

Guest ClayJar

Why do I always seem to miss people by a day or less? We're definitely going to have to get on the ball figuring out when and where LAGG-1 should be. (Any suggestions can be posted here or e-mailed; once we get around to figuring out when to get together in a chat to iron out details we'll let people know about it if they want.)

Guest ClayJar

Yipee! I finally met another geocacher in the great big room with the dirty floor and the blue ceiling! rpecot was already at Spillway TP when I drove up. It was fun to actually meet another cacher, and it was nice to have someone else walking around, just in case one of us may have missed noticing a spider. icon_wink.gif

(We came out of it spider-free, by the way, which made me quite relieved. Of course, I'll take spider-whacking any day if the choice is that or... yeeeccchhh... TICKS!)

Guest ClayJar

Yipee! I finally met another geocacher in the great big room with the dirty floor and the blue ceiling! rpecot was already at Spillway TP when I drove up. It was fun to actually meet another cacher, and it was nice to have someone else walking around, just in case one of us may have missed noticing a spider. icon_wink.gif

(We came out of it spider-free, by the way, which made me quite relieved. Of course, I'll take spider-whacking any day if the choice is that or... yeeeccchhh... TICKS!)

Fast work on Spillway TP, hope to meet up with you guys one of these days, keep me posted on the get together. That Clayjar is relentless! I like it!!!

RPECOT, that penny WAS from your free "railroad press"!

Planning the next cache already, of course!

Bob B.

[This message has been edited by Bob B (edited 24 August 2001).]