Etrex 30 switching gpx files in the field

sktqch

I am about to leave on a trip.  I have several PQ files that have been "massaged" in GSAK that I want to load onto my Etrex 30.  In total they are too big to effectively use so I want to be able to switch .gpx files in the field.  (ie: without connecting the gps to a computer)  Is this even possible?

sktqch

36 minutes ago, sktqch said:

I want to be able to switch .gpx files in the field.  (ie: without connecting the gps to a computer)  Is this even possible?

No. But you may consider the use of different µSD cards containing one GPX file and just change the cards instead.

Hans

One thing I hadn't noticed mentioned in the posts above:

It is necessary to manually create a folder on the uSD card called Garmin and a subfolder under that called GPX (and the upper case GPX and G and lower case armin are required!), and then to place the *.gpx file(s) into that Garmin/GPX folder.  This mirrors the structure of the device's internal memory.

If the *.gpx files are not placed just as described, they won't be seen by the device.

• Helpful 1
12 hours ago, sktqch said:

am about to leave on a trip.  I have several PQ files that have been "massaged" in GSAK that I want to load onto my Etrex 30.  In total they are too big to effectively use so I want to be able to switch .gpx files in the field.  (ie: without connecting the gps to a computer)  Is this even possible?

If you also have an Android smartphone, you can use an OTG USB adapter to connect your Etrex30 to the phone using a USB cable, then transfer files using the Android file transfer utility.

I have to agree that swapping micro-USB cards is probably the easiest for your specific purpose.  However, I have found it convenient to carry "extra files" in my Android phone and, with an OTG adapter, can connect USB devices (such as my Etrex30 or a USB stick) to the phone and transfer a variety of files.