[IDEA] Indicate When A Cache Is Bookmarked (Beyond Cache Page)

JL_HSTRE

Currently, if I look at a cache page I can see what bookmark lists the cache is in (mine and others).

What I would find useful, if it were practical to implement:

1. On the map, when I click on an icon and basic cache info pops up, indicate if the cache is on any of my bookmark lists.

2. When searching (or at least as a PQ), an option to exclude caches on any of my bookmark lists.

In either case, it doesn't matter which of my bookmark lists the cache is on. Being on any list indicates I have looked at the cache page and filed it away for reference in some way.

How would I find this useful? I maintain a GSAK "to do" cache database. Among my bookmark lists are "To Do" lists, updated periodically from GSAK. By making it easier to see which caches I have already bookmarked while looking at the map or looking through search results it can save me a lot of time and effort download caches that I've already got in my database. 

However, I recognize that this might not be a feature many other geocachers would find useful, and it might not be practical to implement because I think the map info bubbles and search results don't currently contain any user-specific data except your Found/DNF status. Thus why I labeled this an "idea" rather than a "suggestion."

What do you think? Would you find this a useful feature?

I think this could also be very useful for downloading large amounts of geocaches (more than 1000, the current list maximum). You could make multiple lists of 1,000 caches with no overlap, which would enable easy downloading of huge areas, since geocaches don't actually use that much storage space.

I agree with this too, could be very useful for when travelling (if that ever happens again).

Additionally (I wa sabout to say alternatively, but I actually wouldn't want this to be an alternative) it would be great if a PQ could exclude the results of another PQ - this would be very helpful for those times when trying to cover a large area of the map without wasting PQ limits doubling up on the overlapping circular PQ areas.

To explain the above, generally when i travel, I'm not exactly sure how far away from my general route I might stray - it could be quite far as I like to have as loose an itinerary as possible.  So my preference is to create PQs covering a wide area, and I end up with a lot of overlapping of circles.  Having the ability to generate a PQ based ona  set of criteria but minus another PQ means I could end up with a bunch of crescent shaped PQs across the map with no wastage.

Dreams are free :)

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
On 8/29/2020 at 6:13 AM, funkymunkyzone said:

I'm not exactly sure how far away from my general route I might stray - it could be quite far as I like to have as loose an itinerary as possible.  So my preference is to create PQs covering a wide area,

You can create routes. If you define smaller routes you can have a big divergence in it, until reaching the maximum of 1000 caches. The areas are then not circles but rectangles. You have to generate a pocket query from a route.

13 hours ago, 2Abendsegler said:

You can create routes. If you define smaller routes you can have a big divergence in it, until reaching the maximum of 1000 caches. The areas are then not circles but rectangles. You have to generate a pocket query from a route.

Yes and this what I generally do, but it's still quite tricky to cover an area and there's still overlap.  To achieve the best I can get from the current system, I generally create routes that form a big scribble over the area I want (basically draw the outline of the area and then colour it in).  But as I said, there's still some wastage from overlaps, and it's a pretty hacky, and not super reliable due to the limitations on routes, way of getting it to work.

Ideally my suggestion of excluding the results of other PQ(s) would be great for routes too.

Edited by funkymunkyzone