Changes to American Civil War Memorials

I want to state right off the bat that this has nothing to do with perceived appropriateness of memorials - this category was created back in the day strictly to document these, both North and South.  I do not want to get into that political discussion - this is strictly a discussion of American Civil War Memorials requirements and an attempt to get feedback to get them updated

That said, I am looking to change the requirements for this category to REQUIRE a physical description of the monument being waymarked,  This means height; materials; artist, if known; and general details of the area in which the memorial is sited.  I am also looking to add the clarification that ALL inscriptions on the marker be listed in the long description.  Sad, that I actually have to put THAT in....

As I explained to the waymarker last evening, these Civil War Memorials are coming down at an alarming rate.  If you have chosen to waymark one, the information you put into that waymark, including pictures, may be the only record that may exist for that memorial when someone many years down the road is doing research.  

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I have no problem with your proposed changes.

Some changes I feel need a delay before implementation, but these changes don't seem too burdensome to me. They might create more work, but I think anyone creating a waymark should be able to find out that information from their own photos or a brief internet search.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, ScroogieII said:

I'm with ya, Tom. I'll always be in support of such proposals.

Keith

Thanks Keith.  I wish I could get my hands on a DeLorean and a flux capacitor and go back and fix these transitioned 2005 - 2006 category descriptions.  
Of course, me being the "OK, Boomer" I am, I actually HAVE locationless caches in my finds list - the precursor to waymarks.    I also remember when you almost had to give up a kidney to become an officer in a Waymarking category.  

7 minutes ago, iconions said:

I wish I could get my hands on a DeLorean and a flux capacitor and go back and fix these transitioned 2005 - 2006 category descriptions.

I know where there's a DeLorean - still don't have a line on a working flux capacitor, though. The ones one sees on EBay, to date, have all turned out to be faulty.

Keith

8 hours ago, iconions said:

fix these transitioned 2005 - 2006 category descriptions

Example (2007)

"Instructions for Posting a xxxxx Waymark:
A photo of the xxxxx is required with any listing. If possible, include any identifying signage as well.

The group leader reserves the right to re-review all submissions
for Compliance with Posting Instructions.

Any newly Posted Waymark in this category that does not meet the Posting Requirements must be Declined by the reviewer with a explanation of the Reason for Denial sent to the Waymark poster."

(The only requirement is one photo, no long description, 9 variables, 4 are required) 
In summary: the 4 required variables is a replacement for a long description. There is more information about declining a waymark then about posting one)
  • Funny 1
7 hours ago, T0SHEA said:

Example (2007)

"Instructions for Posting a xxxxx Waymark:
A photo of the xxxxx is required with any listing. If possible, include any identifying signage as well.

The group leader reserves the right to re-review all submissions
for Compliance with Posting Instructions.

Any newly Posted Waymark in this category that does not meet the Posting Requirements must be Declined by the reviewer with a explanation of the Reason for Denial sent to the Waymark poster."

(The only requirement is one photo, no long description, 9 variables, 4 are required) 
In summary: the 4 required variables is a replacement for a long description. There is more information about declining a waymark then about posting one)

I didn't write them, nor did BruceS.  Out of respect for my mentor BruceS. I'm not going to make the smart@$$ comment I would normally about re-review - just know that currently the category doesn't have an active group leader nor an officer that can make edits to the category at the present time.  The current category description should be dried, cured, and spread on my lawn for fertilizer because of how bad it currently is.  

I want the new description to read:

Photos: an overall photo of the Memorial
               an "art shot" area photo of the memorial.

an individual photo of each inscription on the Memorial - this would be on each side on a multifaceted Memorial.

Long Description: needs to contain a description of the materials used; the height; any inscriptions - either typed out or in html photos; and also a description of the area the Memorial is in.  I would remove the inscription variable as page breaks are needed to make that look decent and some waymarkers don't know how to or refuse to use them.

As far as indoor memorials - this is going to have to be on a case by case basis - my thought would be only if they were moved from an outdoor location and there is documentation for this.

I would, again grandfather all current waymarks and the changes go into effect immediately upon publication.  These, especially the photos, requirements are what a waymarker should be getting as a matter of course; it really shouldn't have to be dictated by the description, BUT it  has come to this...