... prevent mystery / multi overlaps?

cometbill

I'm trying to publish a Traditional micro cache, however the reviewer has rejected my submission due to "one of the stations of a multi-cache" being in close proximity".

How do I check on the map whether I am going to overlap a mystery or multi without having to find and decipher the co-ordinates of all the puzzles, and then plot them on another map to figure out whether my location is <161m from the nearest cache?

2 hours ago, cometbill said:

How do I check on the map whether I am going to overlap a mystery or multi without having to find and decipher the co-ordinates of all the puzzles, and then plot them on another map to figure out whether my location is <161m from the nearest cache?

2 hours ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Prior to place the container, create your listing and write a Reviewer Note asking if the spot is available.

I had to chuckle, as this just happened to me this weekend as well.  I thought we had solved and done all the multis and mysteries in the area, and the spot I chose was in the clear. I didn't do a reviewer check prior to placing it.  Alas, it was rejected due to proximity of a Where I  Go stage (a 7 part multi WIGO with 7 physical WIGO caches to find).  The reviewer was very kind as he told me which stage conflicted with my placement!  I had attempted this WIGO when I was new to geocaching, got totally frustrated and confused, and took it off my map!  Since there are 7 stages, odds are good that the "open" spots in the area are already taken.  I see options (in order of what I want to do!):

• Take it as a challenge to finally get this WIGO series turned into smilies, now that I've done a few more, I understand better how it is supposed to work, and it looks like most of the stages are still findable.  Even without the finds (2 of the stages have DNF's and haven't been found in a year) I'll have the locations.
  • Keep choosing spots and asking for coordinate checks - could be seen as "battleshipping" by my local reviewer(s) and that hasn't been my habit anyway.  If a spot comes up as conflicting with another cache, I'll go solve the puzzle or do the multi and find the cache so I know excatly where it is.
  • Pick a totally different location miles away from where I had this one originally, and ask for the coordinate check first!!

As this particular cache has been on my "unfinished, unpublished" hides list for several months, waiting till I finish the WIGO series and find a better spot is not a big deal.  It'll just wait a little longer. Hubby and I were able to get the WIGO cartidge to cooperate enough to find stage 1 the other day; it'll take some time and driving to get to all 7 locations but I am looking forward to the challenge and a few more non-traditional finds to add to my stats.

To the OP: Once you do solve the puzzles (or, the one puzzle that is interfering, if your reviewer tells you) you can enter the corrected coordinates on the cache page and the icon will change to a puzzle piece at the solved location, and that makes it easier to see how close it is to your chosen location.  In a cache dense area, multi-stages, WIGO's, and puzzles can really play havoc with new cache placements.  This local town near me is a good example:

image.png.aaee3750977c1515ae48a15db98f2c2f.png

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
4 hours ago, cometbill said:

I'm trying to publish a Traditional micro cache, however the reviewer has rejected my submission due to "one of the stations of a multi-cache" being in close proximity".

Similar to CAVinoGal,  once you solve puzzles/multis in the area, I feel a Reviewer might be more helpful giving you an idea on placement, if it's still an issue.

Some feel if there's that little room, why add one more ?    :)

Some folks will attempt to "battleship" the area, using that helpful Reviewer for guidance.  Finding some help them realize you're trying.

• Upvote 1

Depending on how cooperative your community is, another option, if you know which multi/puzzle is likely causing problems, is to contact the CO saying where you're thinking of hiding your cache and if it's likely to interfere with theirs. I did that once where there were a couple of unsolved D4+ puzzle caches that could have potentially clashed with my proposed cache (it turned out they didn't).

5 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Some feel if there's that little room, why add one more ?    :)

Yes, I tend to pick out-of-the-way locations for mine so as to give the locals somewhere new to explore, like my two most recent ones on Woy Woy Bay.

image.png.7fa1039d3885865a833999ecbb6a6fe2.png