International Geocaching Day Souvenir

I found and logged a cache yesterday afternoon, Saturday 15 August 2020, but have not been awarded the International Geocaching Day 2020 souvenir. When I logged that find I WAS awarded a souvenir in the Memory Lane promotion as soon as I posted the log. Does this mean that you can only receive one souvenir per log entry?

31 minutes ago, BarnabysTravels said:

I found and logged a cache yesterday afternoon, Saturday 15 August 2020, but have not been awarded the International Geocaching Day 2020 souvenir. When I logged that find I WAS awarded a souvenir in the Memory Lane promotion as soon as I posted the log. Does this mean that you can only receive one souvenir per log entry?

It's never been that way but that's a good question. I'll find out in a little bit and post my experience.

58 minutes ago, BarnabysTravels said:

Does this mean that you can only receive one souvenir per log entry?

No... you can earn several.

Since you live "down under" it might be related to the timezone, because you should have received the IGD souvenir also.

I suggest that you delete the prior log and... log again.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, G0ldNugget said:

I received both a Int'l Geocaching Day Souvenir and one for Memory Lane today, so yes, you can earn more than one. I agree with RuideAlmeida. My guess it's a time zone thing. Check the dates listed for your finds and relog, if necessary.

A threefer for some geocachers. 

Thanks to all. Pity the email about International Geocaching Day didn't refer to a time zone limitation.

I don't much like deleting and reposting: confuses CO as to what is going on. There is another Mystery final I've been meaning to get for ages, so I'll pop out today and hopefully find that one to earn the souvenir in the 'right' time zone.

Edited by BarnabysTravels
  • Upvote 2

I read the promotion as "find a cache on the 15th or the 16th" and assumed that it meant the weekend Seattle time. Meaning it'd be offset around 16 hours for those of us on this half of the planet.

Or did it mean 15th Seattle time, 16th Eastern Hemisphere time? One 24 hour block would make sense for an International Geocaching Day, but I read it as being over the weekend. To allow people in different countries around the globe to participate even accounting for that minor global pandemic thingy...

6 hours ago, Unit473L said:

I read the promotion as "find a cache on the 15th or the 16th" and assumed that it meant the weekend Seattle time.

Meaning it'd be offset around 16 hours for those of us on this half of the planet.

Yeah...confusing wording.  The first Blog said  " By logging any cache type on August 15 or 16, you can earn the International Geocaching Day 2020 souvenir."

But then the latest  said " Geocachers who log a “Found it” on Saturday, August 15 will earn a souvenir for their Geocaching profile page! "

- So it all depends on which blog you viewed I guess.  :)

3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Yeah...confusing wording.  The first Blog said  " By logging any cache type on August 15 or 16, you can earn the International Geocaching Day 2020 souvenir."

But then the latest  said " Geocachers who log a “Found it” on Saturday, August 15 will earn a souvenir for their Geocaching profile page! "

The souvenir itself says:

Happy International Geocaching Day 2020! By logging any cache type on August 15 or 16, you can earn the International Geocaching Day 2020 souvenir.

Usually with these special date ones (this one, Earthcache day, Blue Switch day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day), it just goes by the logging date and is irrespective of time zone.

8 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

HQ replied to a tweet and said that Lab caches would count too, but I've confirmed that they do not. I completed all 5 locations of an Adventure Lab yesterday, but there's no sign of the souvenir. Luckily, I did find a Traditional as well just in case Labs didn't work, so I'll log that and I should then get the souvenir.

The earlier blog post was correct in saying that you can log a find on either day to get the souvenir. I've confirmed that someone who only found a cache today did receive the souvenir. However, like our friends from down-under have discovered, it seems like the log had to be submitted later than an unknown time in order to count, even if the log date was for the 15th or 16th. My guess is that it needed to be submitted after 12am Seattle time, but that's just a wild guess.

Such simple criteria and easy to communicate, and yet it still gets fumbled...

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, nicthorn said:

I found 3 caches on Saturday, August 15, 2020 and did not receive the International Geocaching Day 2020 souvenir. My husband and 2 daughters logged the same caches and all received it. 

It’s showing on your profile; maybe the system was just playing catch up?