The mysterious case of the missing cache...

IceColdUK

Out today, I noticed that my iPhone was not showing a particular mystery cache (with updated coords) on the map - at either it’s original or updated locations.

The cache in question: ‘It's not over ....’ (https://coord.info/GC19XQB).

Using the search by GC code function the cache appeared:

33DA77CA-9F33-4F20-A259-7DD43E5B0355.thumb.png.c8fa68f9fc93723055baba309a6736e6.png

Click elsewhere on the screen to select another cache or, as here, to simply deselect this cache, and it disappears again:

DB3394B7-EA18-4F5F-A4DB-7CB5F33531C3.thumb.png.47558e07f8b172e7776ba9f399ba3227.png

Playing around with filters, I was able to make it reappear on some (but not all) occasions - e.g. by selecting just Mystery caches or, as here, by changing the Terrain search to 1.5 to 4.5:

B0CEF3C4-51A5-4A9A-8051-D74E1A36FB28.thumb.png.3a328dafa657bdb23e5d60a43ea6a79e.png

I have no idea whether other caches are dropping off the map or what’s special about this one.  Looks like a bug though.

Edit: To add insult to injury, I couldn’t find the actual cache either!  However, the issue was there before the jigsaw piece was turned into a frowny face.

Edit2:  I’ve also changed the corrected coordinates so as not to give anything away with the puzzle, but this has not affected the behaviour.

Wij hebben dezelfde ervaring. Beide een Iphone. Bij de optie "kaart" werd een cache bij mij niet weergegeven (terwijl we er vlakbij stonden) terwijl deze bij mijn partner wel zichtbaar was. En vice versa werd een cache bij mij wel weer weergegeven en bij mijn partner niet, dus er lijkt ook een soort willekeur te zijn. Als ik vanuit een lijst de kaartweergave gebruik dan wordt de cache wel zichtbaar op de kaart, erg vreemd 

On 8/15/2020 at 3:37 PM, Niels&Hanneke said:

Wij hebben dezelfde ervaring. Beide een Iphone. Bij de optie "kaart" werd een cache bij mij niet weergegeven (terwijl we er vlakbij stonden) terwijl deze bij mijn partner wel zichtbaar was. En vice versa werd een cache bij mij wel weer weergegeven en bij mijn partner niet, dus er lijkt ook een soort willekeur te zijn. Als ik vanuit een lijst de kaartweergave gebruik dan wordt de cache wel zichtbaar op de kaart, erg vreemd 

Google Translate: 

We have the same experience. Both an Iphone. With the option "map", a cache was not displayed for me (while we were close to it) while it was visible for my partner. And vice versa, a cache was displayed for me and not for my partner, so there also seems to be a kind of randomness. If I use the map view from a list, the cache is visible on the map, very strange

Tested this out, and yes I see the same behaviour: if I add that cache to a list and map the list in the App, then it the cache does appear:

13D82D05-AD67-43C6-84AA-C1FB34C6F3D2.thumb.png.1c377844be689d3b56f630deefd0b708.png

Edited by IceColdUK

Thanks to @mustakorppi for explaining this behaviour on another thread.  To elaborate here...

When searching for caches on the map, the App selects the N caches (that meet all of the filter conditions) with posted coords closest to the centre of the map.  As it draws the map, the corrected coords (where added) are used in preference to the posted coords when placing the pin.

My problem Mystery cache was set when the 2 mile rule was more of a guideline.  The cache is hidden almost six miles from the posted coords.

When searching for caches in the area of the final, the cache is not shown on the map because its posted coords put it outside of the top-N closest caches.

By changing the filters, the radius of caches meeting the search criteria increases, and hey presto! the pin appears where expected.

Conversely, a search for caches close to the posted coords, will include the far-flung mystery, and show it as an outlier on the map.

1A96A581-C317-41E6-98A9-EBFE667806CC.thumb.jpeg.e4b61daf76206b333d0285866d34cc99.jpeg

For most Mystery caches, the two mile rule prevents this from being a problem.  For Multis, that can be any distance from their posted coords, this is more of an issue.  Any chance of a fix? ?

Edited by IceColdUK
Added screenshot.
  • Upvote 1