What should I decide to Waymark?

SpikyLlama

For example, I have a park near my house that isn't a Waymark. Because there is a category for Municipal Parks, should I post it? There are a lot of parks near me and I wouldn't want to clog the category nor make waymarks that aren't necessary. Should I add the park if it is popular enough? Thanks!

18 minutes ago, SpikyLlama said:

Should I add the park if it is popular enough?

That is not a factor, in my opinion.  Why do you think it is?  Waymark what YOU want to.

I have no qualms about clogging the Headstones of Centenarian category or Free Community Book Exchange category. I'll waymark them if I find them. 

I see my waymark as a documentation of those places/items.

1 hour ago, SpikyLlama said:

For example, I have a park near my house that isn't a Waymark. Because there is a category for Municipal Parks, should I post it? There are a lot of parks near me and I wouldn't want to clog the category nor make waymarks that aren't necessary. Should I add the park if it is popular enough? Thanks!

I had the same question when I started recently participating in Waymarking.  For me there were soo many categories to choose from that it was a bit overwhelming to think I about all the potential places/things that could be waymarked.  In the end I decided I was going to just Waymark places/things that were interesting to me (and hopefully interesting to someone else).    So if you think the park (or there is something in the park) is interesting enough to Waymark, then I say go for it.   At the very least it will give you practice on how to write and submit a Waymark for review.   And who knows, maybe someday someone will surprise you and post a visit on it.  

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, SpikyLlama said:

May I suggest this -- waymark what interests you. If you are interested in Historical Markers, do them. If you are interested in cemeteries, you can do cemeteries, Woodmen of the World markers, Centenarians, Occupation and Hobby Gravestones, and some more, I'm sure. If you find finding barber poles of some interest, do those.

Or, you could waymark all the stuff you can fit into categories of your town, show it off! Post office, fire and police station, city hall, parks, etc.

That's the interesting part of Waymarking - YOU get to pick and choose what YOU think is a cool waymark.

• Upvote 2
On 8/14/2020 at 10:42 PM, SpikyLlama said:

Ok! Thanks, that helped! Excited to post and visit some Waymarks! I'll take your advice and Waymark what I'm interested in! Thanks!

Because of Waymarking, I have gotten an interest in old buildings and cemeteries.  Like was said before me, waymark what interests YOU!  Why did that object pique your interest?  Then, get your pictures and do the write-up.  Something that you are passionate about will be reflected in your write-up...  :) 

• Upvote 1

Of course, you are all completely right.  Why should anyone want to waymark anything boring?

But then those side games sneak in. Like "The Grid". And all of a sudden all those sensible principles are not that much set in stone anymore.

"I really don't like fast food chain locations as waymarks, really not. But I want these icons." Who could have said that? Most of us, I guess.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, fi67 said:

Of course, you are all completely right.  Why should anyone want to waymark anything boring?

But then those side games sneak in. Like "The Grid". And all of a sudden all those sensible principles are not that much set in stone anymore.

"I really don't like fast food chain locations as waymarks, really not. But I want these icons." Who could have said that? Most of us, I guess.

Guilty as charged. But, I will not waymark every Subway, McD, Target, Wally World and Starbucks I pass. I have one for the grid. Now, if I find one that really catches my attention for some reason, and I think it is interesting, I might waymark my second.

That said, that is me and what I am doing. If someone else would rather do those retail chains, and could care less about historical markers, cemeteries and gravestones -- that is perfectly fine with me. Like we said, do what interests YOU.

• Upvote 1
On 8/17/2020 at 12:50 PM, vulture1957 said:

I could easily see teenagers going more towards the retail categories. Lotsa numbers, easy to get pictures. Maybe that could actually be used to get some younger blood in here.

When I started Waymarking many years ago, I was barely a teenager and really only created waymarks for fast food places. I couldn't drive myself anywhere so I was very limited, early on. Where I live, there just isn't a whole lot of history being all the cities near me weren't there 50 years ago. So fast food joints were about all I could do.

19 hours ago, TheBrowns! said:

Personally I’ll attempt to Waymark anything and everything possible. It’s all up to preference really.

I agree. I try to document everything I can. It's fun learning the history of a town through historical markers, historical buildings, and art sculptures. And like on another topic in these forums said, who knows when certain objects will disappear so it's nice to document them while we still can.

• Upvote 1
On 8/17/2020 at 12:50 PM, vulture1957 said:

I could easily see teenagers going more towards the retail categories. Lotsa numbers, easy to get pictures. Maybe that could actually be used to get some younger blood in here.

Now there's an angle that hasn't been addressed yet. Kudos to Lee for thinking outside the cube!

Keith

1 hour ago, TheBrowns! said:

As a teenager, you are 100% correct. Sucks they are frowned upon.

The problem I see with retail is this: Peer review is looking for global presence. So with retail (Subway, KFC, etc) if they are global, then it is oversaturated.  I prefer the local or regional retails, let visitors know what to look for if you are coming this way.