[Bug] Inconsistency between number of finds

Tungstène

I noticed this a few days ago. When I log some found geocaches from drafts on the website, my number of found caches is not incremented immediately in the upper right corner while it is in my profile page and in my statistics  (see screenshots below). I first thought of a retracted listing or another Adventure Lab glitch or something like that but, after a few hours, the count is corrected.

Both of these were taken just now after I logged three drafts (but the upper right count only noticed two of them).

1.thumb.png.be89ff351e40b69cebe3bd62b78305a6.png

2.thumb.png.bf024ae9f9cf2f17299791f687bc9d20.png

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

This is a delay, but this is not lasting long. I have noticed that this happens when the site may experience many active users at once – for example on Saturday or Sunday. But no wonder that it may occur randomly, due to high load.

I guess the value in top right corner is not being refreshed everytime you log a cache, but every some period of time – and thats not a priority for website functioning.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, sernikk said:

This is a delay, but this is not lasting long.

This time it took 40 minutes for my counters to catch up.

6 hours ago, sernikk said:

I guess the value in top right corner is not being refreshed everytime you log a cache

Well... In my case (and I already tested this twice), only the first log is delayed. The following logs do tilt the counter. So the top right corner IS refreshed everytime I log a cache, except for the first of the day.

Thank you for your reply and the confirmation I'm not alone.

• Helpful 1

I can confirm this is happening to me as well, on a regular basis, for the last week or so. 

Quite annoying really as I have a counter added to each log of mine but now it's glitching out and I have to really follow what number I put in my log to see if I'm adding the right one

Edited by ivss_xx
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

I noticed this is happening, since there is a change of logging "Attended" on events - no date is possible to choose. Not sure if this is connected but I believe it is from the same time.

Also (little of topic) when they did change this, I beleive the could change also, that Attended is chosen (no need to change status from will attend) if sysdate > event date.

I don't know if this is related: since a couple of days I noticed a difference in my total finds as shown on the one hand  on the GC website (and app) and on the other hand as shown in the Adventure Lab app.

Th niumber on the GC site and app is correct, the number in the Adventure Lab app is 5 lower.

2 hours ago, barnold said:

I don't know if this is related: since a couple of days I noticed a difference in my total finds as shown on the one hand  on the GC website (and app) and on the other hand as shown in the Adventure Lab app.

Th niumber on the GC site and app is correct, the number in the Adventure Lab app is 5 lower.

This a known bug. In order to see the correct number of your finds in the Adventure Lab App, you have to log out (of the app) and log in again. 

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, barnold said:

seems already being discussed in another topic here.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:58 AM, JL_HSTRE said:

I'm fascinated so many people are apparently using Draft Logs. I think I've only used them once.

JL_HSTRE,

I have no choice since most of the places I cache have no cell service. I'm on an Android device, which has 3 issues: 1) I kept losing logs when I tried posting without cell service; 2) Downloaded lists don't always show cache details unless I go into airplane mode; and 3) I voice dictate my logs and I end up with cryptic logs ("cache" is always "cash"). So I found the best way to deal with all these is to use drafts and edit later on my computer. The only problem there is after I turn off Airplane mode, the drafts are not always uploaded to the server - I have to go into each one and save it again on my phone.

Marc (aka 51MarLin)

• Helpful 1
3 hours ago, 51MarLin said:

I have no choice since most of the places I cache have no cell service. I'm on an Android device, which has 3 issues:

1) I kept losing logs when I tried posting without cell service

2) Downloaded lists don't always show cache details unless I go into airplane mode

3) I voice dictate my logs and I end up with cryptic logs ("cache" is always "cash").

So I found the best way to deal with all these is to use drafts and edit later on my computer. The only problem there is after I turn off Airplane mode, the drafts are not always uploaded to the server - I have to go into each one and save it again on my phone.

If you don't have cell service how are you saving the drafts?

5 hours ago, on4bam said:

You realize apps can be used offline do you?

4 hours ago, niraD said:

Some of us even put our phones in airplane mode while using our geocaching apps, forcing them to stay offline in areas with questionable data signals.

What modern app are you using with pre-loaded maps and cache data? I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I've never heard of one.

43 minutes ago, JL_HSTRE said:

What modern app are you using with pre-loaded maps and cache data? I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I've never heard of one.

I haven't usually worried about preloading maps. And every app I've seen works with preloaded cache data. Some worked only with preloaded cache data. And even Groundspeak's app works with preloaded cache data, although they've made it harder to do than other apps.

But I've been meaning to choose a new app ever since CacheSense died (after not being updated when the API changed), so I can't recommend one at the moment.