Question about new icons

keksbande

The new icon might be good, but

- the finished adventures should be in very light green - or grey as before

- the unfinished adventures should have a sign or better - another colour

- it should be possible to fade out the finished - in the city it's quite hard to find the new ones

- it should be possible to get an icon on the map of geocaching.com to see, where also a labcache is placed

On 10/18/2020 at 10:04 AM, Etaner7 said:

The new icon might be good, but

- the finished adventures should be in very light green - or grey as before

- the unfinished adventures should have a sign or better - another colour

- it should be possible to fade out the finished - in the city it's quite hard to find the new ones

- it should be possible to get an icon on the map of geocaching.com to see, where also a labcache is placed

I agree with your 3 first points but not with the last one. ALCs should be kept apart just as waymarks are. 

Differnt games, diffents apps, differnents counters.

5 hours ago, Laval K-9 said:

And what would it mean?

Only people with the link can play The Adventure lab. If you are an organization you can send out the link to just your employees. If you want to have a private party you can send out the link to your friends. ?

That has me wondering, and I'm sure it's in the adventure lab rules somewhere, but when you are awarded an AL credit by Groundspeak are you required to make it public? Just curious. 

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Only people with the link can play The Adventure lab. If you are an organization you can send out the link to just your employees. If you want to have a private party you can send out the link to your friends. ?

That has me wondering, and I'm sure it's in the adventure lab rules somewhere, but when you are awarded an AL credit by Groundspeak are you required to make it public? Just curious. 

Yep, you're right. From the Builder guide:

image.png.ea8ffb892d71013896763648b5facbe7.png

The note at the bottom appears to rule out leaving an AL set to Private without written permission.

On 10/27/2020 at 10:19 AM, ecanderson said:

Has anyone an idea of why "Private" mode exists at this point in time?

I believe it is to allow for AdLabs to be available only to a select group of people, such as those attending a Mega/Giga event or a themed event where the AdLab is not available to the general community, and the applicable QR code is only given to attendees/participants.

That's one of the main ways lab caches started out---as "event caches" that became active at an event such as Midwest GeoBash or GeoWoodstock, and then had to be logged within a specific date and time window before the lab caches were inactivated.

I suppose, if one were so inclined, one could set up a themed event with a simultaneously-themed AdLab (if the CO has an available AdLab credit or requests one from GC), and then would activate it just for those who attended the event.  The CO could then decide afterwards whether to keep it private or to make it active for the general geocaching community.

Historical note:  It is my understanding that the whole idea of geofencing was driven, perhaps largely, by accusations of "armchair logging" of previous private event caches by people who had no connection to the events.

The idea of private AdLabs hearkens back to the original concept of lab caches, but I haven't seen anyone recently use it---perhaps because of event restrictions due to Covid.  Perhaps we'll see some once events become more available (whenever that is).

So what's the purple icon? It's got more than five questions, so it might be old. You have to pay (not cheap) to go into Bush Gardens. I think the paying is related to the icon.

This is in the state of Virginia, USA.

I just noticed this icon SEPT 2023.

Screenshot_20230912_071437_Adventure Lab.jpg

Edited by pictom
58 minutes ago, pictom said:

So what's the purple icon?

@HHL is correct. It is used for "featured" ALs, a result of a commercial partnership between a business and HQ. They are allowed to "break the rules" (player-created ALs cannot be placed in locations requiring an access fee).