Completing an AL cache

mty55

I know while doing a cache if you click out and back in you have to hit resume. Will this work say if we do three legs one day and the other two legs across town a week or two later? Is there a time limit on finishing. I'm assuming you can just go to the started cache and resume where you left off.

35 minutes ago, mty55 said:

I know while doing a cache if you click out and back in you have to hit resume. Will this work say if we do three legs one day and the other two legs across town a week or two later? Is there a time limit on finishing. I'm assuming you can just go to the started cache and resume where you left off.

I did one local AL several days apart and still had the opportunity to hit resume. 

• Helpful 1

Kinda related to this topic:

A completely hypothetical situation:

I create an AL. It goes live and is played. Later, I decide to create a Bonus cache for the AL. Assuming the physical, bonus cache passes review, I can at that point go back to my
AL, edit the journals, and everyone who has completed the AL will see the clues I'm putting there for the Bonus cache can then see them in the journals. Correct?

1 minute ago, ecanderson said:

Yes, since the journals are loaded 'live' when the AL is reloaded into the app, and not resident on the phone.

You'd only be able to notify the 1st 10 finders and those that left comments that you had made the change, though.  Another reason to have a full, not 1st 10, leaderboard?

Thank you for confirming that.

I wouldn't notify anyone if this situation ever came about. :)

8 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I create an AL. It goes live and is played. Later, I decide to create a Bonus cache for the AL. Assuming the physical, bonus cache passes review, I can at that point go back to my
AL, edit the journals, and everyone who has completed the AL will see the clues I'm putting there for the Bonus cache can then see them in the journals. Correct?

I would expect that anyone who uses notifications for new caches (mystery, in particular) would recognize  a bonus based on an AdLab they'd already completed and would merely go back to the app to review the journals.  Actually, it would be nice if the bonus web page description mentioned where the coordinates might be found (i.e., in the AdLab journals).

A more perplexing situation could occur based on a recent AdLab I just examined, but haven't yet played.

The bonus for this particular AdLab doesn't rely on the AdLab journals.    Instead, the CO added additional questions, listed on the bonus web page, which would have to be answered WHILE you are doing the AdLab,  in addition to the questions asked by the AdLab.

In this scenario, anyone who didn't know about the bonus (or forgot that a bonus was associated with it), who had already completed the AdLab, would have to go back and retrace their route through the AdLab to be able to answer the additional bonus questions.

If I decide to go after this particular AdLab, I will have to remember to print-out the bonus web page to have the list of additional questions with me.  Of course, those who geocache only by smartphone will have to jockey back-and-forth between the AdLab and their regular geo-app so as to be able to view both games somewhat simultaneously, and some method to record the bonus answers as they proceed through the AdLab.

It sure would be nice if the AdLab developers provided the CO with an end-of-AdLab completion message in which the CO could place bonus coordinates instead of using the journals, and could use such a message to provide additional end-of-game information if so desired.

As best I can tell,  EVERY sequential AdLab I've thus far completed has been sequential ONLY for the purpose of hiding bonus coordinates in the final journal or placing me near the bonus at the end.  I don't know what the developers had in mind by giving the option to make an AdLab sequential or not, but can only relate how I've been seeing that capability used----and I find it irritating to not have advance knowledge of upcoming stages and being limited to a specific route solely to make it easier to include a bonus.

Some might, with some validity, argue that this process is akin to doing a five-or-more stage Multi, where you won't know anything about a subsequent stage until completing  the present stage. 

The difference is that with a Multi I need only use one device or app, and can see the constellation of other nearby caches while I progress and can easily deviate whenever an enroute opportunity arises.  I can also do two or more multis simultaneously because I don't have to keep swapping apps/devices to see what is around me or plan my route, or have to keep swapping between AdLabs (which I've already done a couple of times and it detracted from the experience).

It appears to me that the AdLab design philosophy is that of a single linear start-to-finish app-only game that excludes any other activities until that particular game is completed.  Yes, you can deviate for other purposes, but only after making awkward swaps and restarts.  This probably works fine for an area with only one or two AdLabs and that's all you were interested that day.  However, if you find yourself in an area with 14 uncompleted AdLabs, you might not particularly care for doing them linearly one-by one, criss-crossing back and forth over routes of AdLabs you've already completed, or even going backwards to re-visit sites that you'd just visited on a previous AdLab (which has happened to me too).

Sorry for putting multiple issues here---I wrote them as they occurred to me.

• Upvote 1