Image upload not working

miaux

The image upload (https://www.geocaching.com/gallery/upload.aspx) is not working.  I have tried several devices, browsers, and images in various sizes and formats over the past few months.  An error message always appears ("Something went wrong with the image upload, please try again later.", screenshot attached) and the image is not uploaded.

Image upload for a cache works as expected.

upload images error.png

What do you need it for? Because if you want, you can use in-cache image upload (from unpublished caches for example) and then you have your photo uploaded.

I know this isn't the answer to the problem itself, because this upload you mentioned is not working for me either, but it is a workaround.

Can confirm that there is some sort of an issue with image uploading. Here's how I encountered it:

1. Add a new cache.
2. Add a reviewer note.
3. Attempt to add images (either by dropping photos or by selecting)

They always end up saying "Upload Failed". In the developer console I can see that the server is returning a 400 response (bad request). Here's the full server response:

{"statusCode":400,"statusMessage":"Bad Request","errorMessage":"Failed to post draft log image to the image service; BadRequestException","uri":"http://imagesapi.Groundspeak.biz/images/v1/images"}

For some reason I only encountered this issue on desktop using Chrome browser. When I accessed the same page from my phone (also on chrome) I did not encounter the issue.

Seems like a bug to me.

2 hours ago, miaux said:

Don't remember, but it's the first result if I enter "image upload geocaching" into a few search engines.

Well, that link will never work, because it also needs a log-id. Without it, the system does not know where to put the picture.

As I said earlier: you can not upload an image direct to your gallery. It can only be done via a cache/tb-log or a cache/tb-page

11 hours ago, Kalkendotters said:

Well, that link will never work, because it also needs a log-id. Without it, the system does not know where to put the picture.

As I said earlier: you can not upload an image direct to your gallery. It can only be done via a cache/tb-log or a cache/tb-page

OK, that was not clear.  A more informative error message would be helpful here.

7 hours ago, sernikk said:

Okay, why don't you click "Edit" on your current profile photo and just upload it there?

Because the goal is not to update the profile picture, but to add a picture to the profile.

Apparently this is not possible without arranging image hosting somewhere else.

Thanks for the replies!

14 hours ago, miaux said:

Apparently this is not possible without arranging image hosting somewhere else.

I'm afraid you're right. But you can host your image somewhere else on Groundspeak's own servers. This is what you were told before:

On 8/13/2020 at 2:15 PM, sernikk said:

you can use in-cache image upload (from unpublished caches for example)

To be honest, I do not know exactly why such a problem appears and I do not really understand how to solve it. But I think that such a problem should definitely not be solved by you, but by the developers of this site. If anyone can understand exactly why and when such a bug appeared, only the administration of this forum. Have you already tried to write directly to the administration about the existence of such a problem? If not, then you should definitely try it. For example, whenever I find a problem with a website or service, I contact support directly, otherwise the problem cannot be solved. Most recently, I found a bug in a photo editing application. The problem was with the contrast in photography setting. Of course, the problem has not been solved yet, but the developers thanked me anyway.

Edited by wendylawrencec329