Hiding Caches in the Library

I need some help.  I currently have a large crate and also have permission to hide my camping cooler size cache inside the library.  I been having problems getting it published.  I wanna make it easy to find and not a difficult puzzle.  I want people to enjoy the actual cache and less likely a puzzle.  I first made it a traditional with displaying the lock combos on the cache page.  But the front entrance is not enough.  The cache is at the library waitinf to get published.  I need help with ideas for an easy find.

7 minutes ago, makgonz said:

I need some help.  I currently have a large crate and also have permission to hide my camping cooler size cache inside the library.  I been having problems getting it published.  I wanna make it easy to find and not a difficult puzzle.  I want people to enjoy the actual cache and less likely a puzzle.  I first made it a traditional with displaying the lock combos on the cache page.  But the front entrance is not enough.  The cache is at the library waitinf to get published.  I need help with ideas for an easy find.

There are two things you need to publish a library cache. The first is permission from the library, which is sounds like you've got. The second is the use of accurate GPS coordinates, which is required for all caches.

I've seen two approaches for library caches that meet the requirement for using accurate GPS coordinates. A few have information in the library that produces coordinates for the final, and then use those accurate GPS coordinates to find the final, which is somewhere away from the library.

But the most common approach is to have the first stage outside the library, identified by accurate GPS coordinates. Something at that first stage provides information that allows seekers to find/access the cache inside the library.

As you've discovered, simply providing the GPS coordinates of the library entrance isn't enough. You need more use of accurate GPS coordinates than just a parking lot, building entrance, trailhead, etc. Those are places someone could find easily without accurate GPS coordinates.

• Helpful 1
8 minutes ago, niraD said:

But the most common approach is to have the first stage outside the library, identified by accurate GPS coordinates. Something at that first stage provides information that allows seekers to find/access the cache inside the library.

We have found one set up like this.  The coordinates were in the parking lot where you gathered information that translated into Dewey decimal information.  It is still my daughter's favorite find :)

• Upvote 2

As explained by your reviewer in his note to you yesterday, simply put the lock combination on a tag or in a container that's located outdoors, like in or next to the library's parking lot.  Finders can use GPS to locate the correct tree, guardrail post, etc. to find stage one.  Then they will go into the library to use the combination. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
24 minutes ago, Keystone said:

As explained by your reviewer in his note to you yesterday, simply put the lock combination on a tag or in a container that's located outdoors, like in or next to the library's parking lot.  Finders can use GPS to locate the correct tree, guardrail post, etc. to find stage one.  Then they will go into the library to use the combination. 

Thanks for the idea.  That's a good simple one.

4 hours ago, makgonz said:

Thanks for the idea.  That's a good simple one.

Similar, our only "in a library" find had a magnetic hide-a-key in a guard rail in their parking lot  and a mention of how to access was inside it.

I guess after the first couple, staff don't think anything of someone heading directly there anymore.  :)

A couple of years ago, one small team put out a series in every one of the Denver Public Library branches -- 36 in all as I recall.

Looks like most of them are up and running still.  There was a nice geocoin from the library system for the first xx finders of the entire series.

You might want to talk to the crew that did all of ours.  Note that as mentioned above, none are traditionals, but they do represent an interesting cross section of other types.

DPL.jpg.b7fd12d1b327fac0d31e5f03e822fd5a.jpg

On 8/13/2020 at 3:40 AM, ecanderson said:

A couple of years ago, one small team put out a series in every one of the Denver Public Library branches -- 36 in all as I recall.

Looks like most of them are up and running still.  There was a nice geocoin from the library system for the first xx finders of the entire series.

You might want to talk to the crew that did all of ours.  Note that as mentioned above, none are traditionals, but they do represent an interesting cross section of other types.

DPL.jpg.b7fd12d1b327fac0d31e5f03e822fd5a.jpg

I’m also thinking of hiding some library caches when libraries reopen around here, I am definitely going to try and get some local caches around here to assist me with an idea like that