Reserve a free coordinate

I wonder if it is possible to reserve a coordinate (which is still available) for a short period. why ?
If you want to create a new Multi or mystery cache in which a formula occurs to calculate the final coordinates, it is not pleasant to determine, after you have found a correct formula, calculated on the desired coordinate, that there is already a another cacher has placed a cache within a circle of 161 meters from your coordinate. Since more and more caches come out and with that it becomes more and more difficult to find a suitable place. By having a short period of reservation you can then calmly calculate a correct formula without running the risk that all the effort is in vain, you just have to look for a new coordinate and new formula.

Yes.  Just create your cache page (don't submit yet for review), and include the "final location" coordinates which will be hidden from players.

If someone else tries to submit a cache with those same coordinates or nearby, the reviewer will also see your unpublished cache, and - I believe - the first one entered will prevail.  You have a reasonable time (few months?) before the reviewer will inquire if you have any plans to finish your listing.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 minute ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Yes.  Just create your cache page (don't submit yet for review), and include the "final location" coordinates which will be hidden from players.

If someone else tries to submit a cache with those same coordinates, the reviewer will also see your unpublished cache, and - I believe - the first one entered will prevail.

I do this all the time.  I would add that once you create the cache page, email the cache page link to your local reviewer to confirm that the location is free.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I would add that once you create the cache page, email the cache page link to your local reviewer to confirm that the location is free.

This is important. If there is an existing conflict with your location, then your unpublished cache page won't reserve it. You have to check with the volunteer reviewers to make sure your location is available.

For reference, see the Help Center article Check for minimum distance (in particular, the section "Ask a reviewer to check coordinates").

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I do this all the time.  I would add that once you create the cache page, email the cache page link to your local reviewer to confirm that the location is free.

The link IceColdUK provides calls for *submitting* the cache page, not asking the reviewer via email. I don't know whether email or submitting works best in practice, or which any given reviewer might prefer, but I'd suggest following the defined procedure. But it's important to make sure the reviewer recognizes that the submission is only a location check. What I did to try to make sure there wasn't a misunderstanding was to name the cache LOCATION CHECK ONLY or somesuch, and then made sure the note to the reviewer explained it clearly, too.

• Upvote 3
7 minutes ago, dprovan said:

The link IceColdUK provides calls for *submitting* the cache page, not asking the reviewer via email. I don't know whether email or submitting works best in practice, or which any given reviewer might prefer, but I'd suggest following the defined procedure. But it's important to make sure the reviewer recognizes that the submission is only a location check. What I did to try to make sure there wasn't a misunderstanding was to name the cache LOCATION CHECK ONLY or somesuch, and then made sure the note to the reviewer explained it clearly, too.

You're right, it does say that, but I found that my local reviewer is quick to respond to emails and is happy to answer questions like this in that manner.  Submitting a cache page for a location check seems fraught with potential issues as you mentioned, but it is the correct documented procedure.

On 8/12/2020 at 7:19 AM, GeoElmo6000 said:

You're right, it does say that, but I found that my local reviewer is quick to respond to emails and is happy to answer questions like this in that manner.  Submitting a cache page for a location check seems fraught with potential issues as you mentioned, but it is the correct documented procedure.

The advantage of submitting an unpublished cache to reserve the spot, is the reviewer doesn’t have to remember about your cache every time he publishes a subsequent cache — it will appear automatically on his map.

Similarly if you have more than 1 reviewer for the area.

Edited by barefootguru
1 hour ago, barefootguru said:

The advantage of submitting an unpublished cache to reserve the spot, is the reviewer doesn’t have to remember about your cache every time he publishes a subsequent cache — it will appear automatically on his map.

You don't have to submit a cache for it to "reserve" a spot.  You just have to create it and it'll show up in the reviewer's map.  Your unpublished caches actually shows up in Cachly as well, for you anyway.

• Helpful 1
On 8/19/2020 at 9:50 AM, GeoElmo6000 said:

You don't have to submit a cache for it to "reserve" a spot.  You just have to create it and it'll show up in the reviewer's map.  Your unpublished caches actually shows up in Cachly as well, for you anyway.

I didn't realise that, but just checked with our local New Zealand reviewer who said:

If you create a listing but don't submit it, technically the location isn't reserved, although most of the time a reviewer will contact you if another cacher has placed a cache nearby for review.

Best practise is to submit the listing and get the OK from a reviewer.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1