Normal Size Caches Going Extinct?

We've noticed that normal sized caches have been getting fewer and far between around our area and more micros being placed.

We know this is in part due to muggles and a few Richard Craniums going around destroying them. It's sad that there has to be people put there like that.

Personally, we're not really fans of micros unless they're at a point of interest like the scenic overlook in McGregor, IA.

We go out looking for caches when we can, even if they're micros. We enjoy the hunt(not the bugs or plants), but it's also interesting to see the swag left behind by others and trading.

Any suggestions on how to make a nornal size cache have a long life? We want to start hiding caches like we like to find. Puzzle caches are great for some, but we're out there for leisure and don't like our brains being tortured so we definitely won't be doing puzzle caches or at least not difficult ones.

Edited by INTIMIDAT3R
51 minutes ago, INTIMIDAT3R said:

We've noticed that normal sized caches have been getting fewer and far between around our area and more micros being placed.

To some degree, that is inevitable as geocaching becomes more urban/suburban. Micros (and nanos) are the caches that survive in urban/suburban settings, therefore they will be the majority of the caches available.

In my previous home area, I saw a pattern repeated many times: A nice park (or other open space) would host multiple short-lived small/regular size geocaches, each quickly muggled and archived, freeing up the spot for another cache. Eventually, someone would hide a micro/nano cache (or even a puzzle micro/nano cache) in that location, which would last, ending the pattern of short-lived small/regular caches. Keep in mind that it isn't just the cache itself being noticed when it is in its hiding spot; geocachers need to be able to find, retrieve, and replace the cache without drawing undue attention to it.

I've also seen owners who hide caches in more remote locations start hiding smaller containers. Rather than carry a single ammo can into the wilderness, they can carry a few smaller containers, and have room left over for extra food and water. As long as the containers are big enough for a log that will last several years, they're happy.

And some have stopped placing trackable-size containers because they're tired of being nagged about the trackables that may or may not be in their caches.

51 minutes ago, INTIMIDAT3R said:

Any suggestions on how to make a nornal size cache have a long life?

Place it in a remote location. And as I mentioned earlier, take into account what it's going to look like when geocachers search for, retrieve, and replace the cache. Are they going to draw undue attention to it?

Edited by niraD
  • Love 1

I try to not place micros either. I always look first if I can hide a regular or a small. So many times I come upon a micro, or worse nano, when there are many places where a small or larger cache could be hidden. A nano in bushland...good grief!!!:rolleyes:. Only if I can't find a place for a small or regular, do I place a micro. I don't place nanos :anibad:. A micro is usually not my first choice, but it appears that some hiders, only consider micros or nanos. They never considered that a small or regular would go nicely in that forest where they hid the micro, for example, rather than  the micro they placed.

I have published 1 regular (urban), 9 small (3 urban, 5 semi-urban and 1 rural), 8 micro (7 urban and one semi urban). plus 3 Other.

• Upvote 1

What size is "normal"  ?     There were many micros out when we started. 

A majority were small, but they really were small too.   There weren't as many "regular/large" containers like some imagine...

Our "regular" hides were among the first in the area to be all ammo cans.  Tupperware was the thing then.

- But our first cache is a micro.  It's what the landowner asked for (we ask for permission...), and it's still there today.   :)

Our favorite hider uses only "small" pill bottles (actually more towards micro in size),  but his caches bring you to awesome views and unique locations.

Probably the top for FP on caches, so others are sorta like us, the location is where we're headed, the container simply saying we were there.

If you want to hide larger containers, I feel the further from "civilization" the better.

In our area during the virus, away from towns, residential areas, and manufacturing were the only places new caches were able to be published.

Less crowded, most outdoors people willing to walk a bit know of this hobby, and usually leave our stuff alone.

• Helpful 1

Sometimes clever camo can be quite effective. I had a fake rock cache that was sitting in plain sight in a spot at the end of the beach that has an almost continuous stream of muggles walking past but it lasted three years before being finally washed away in a wild storm.

RockCache.jpg.6e566235c059910d04a062604ebb8821.jpg

Another cacher around here has taken that to another level, cutting holes in substantial-sized rocks to conceal a small or even regular sized cache inside. Here's one such:

RockCache.jpg.6f768399e91f5ac4657c026b760cb644.jpg

Sitting container-side down, it's indistinguishable from the other rocks in the area and is unlikely to be disturbed by muggles. The same thing can be done with logs although they tend to rot away fairly quickly unless treated.

A good hiding place that puts the cache well out of sight of any inquisitive muggles can also be effective. On this one of mine, you have to get down on hands and knees to crawl under a low rock overhang, revealing a honeycombed shelf up inside where the cache is sitting.

Ledge.jpg.1bd186f229e6f67a09dc7518d8f068d1.jpg

That one was placed in 2015 and is still going strong.

• Helpful 3
4 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Yes, sometimes it just takes a little bit more imagination to place a cache. Unless there is a very strong reason why a cache needs to be where it is, if that spot is not suitable for a small cache, look elsewhere to hide it. I have a small sized cache under a boulder in an urban park for instance. It's attached to the underside of the boulder.

I found a (from memory) small sized cache on a busy street. It was slitted into a gap in a wall in full sight of people passing in a very busy street. The footpath was covered in people the day I was there. The edge of the cache in full view slotted in. The challenge was extracting it. There were two of us caching, and we stood near the cache as though chatting to each other, which we were doing, as I had my back to the cache, and was reaching backwards, as my companion was saying, go right, higher, etc. It was harder to return.

Photograph shows the street that cache was hidden in. Muggle central!

Muggles  muggles & MUGGLES.jpg

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
13 hours ago, INTIMIDAT3R said:

We know this is in part due to muggles and a few Richard Craniums going around destroying them. It's sad that there has to be people put there like that.

Personally, we're not really fans of micros unless they're at a point of interest like the scenic overlook in McGregor, IA.

We go out looking for caches when we can, even if they're micros. We enjoy the hunt(not the bugs or plants), but it's also interesting to see the swag left behind by others and trading.

Any suggestions on how to make a nornal size cache have a long life? We want to start hiding caches like we like to find. Puzzle caches are great for some, but we're out there for leisure and don't like our brains being tortured so we definitely won't be doing puzzle caches or at least not difficult ones.

If you had Premium Membership you could do Pocket Queries to make a list of caches near you that have been around for some time. Go find them and see for yourself if there is a reason for their longevity. The number of favourites could be a guide but not guaranteed.

• Upvote 1

We try and only hide micro's when there is no other way to have a cache in that location that stands a fighting chance of not being muggled in a week..... saying that, our micros are still big enough to have pencils in them. Micros can be lots of fun, the nano-on-a-locomotive-needle-in-a-haystack ones, not so much.....

• Funny 1
20 hours ago, INTIMIDAT3R said:

Any suggestions on how to make a nornal size cache have a long life?

It's already been mentioned but the area has to be far enough off the beaten path to have a chance for the cache to last, unless you don't mind replacing it regularly.  I've placed some smalls or regular caches, thinking there's no way a muggle is going to discover this, only to have them taken.  Part of the reason there are so many micros is the fact that its cheaper to replace them when they're missing.  Another part, already mentioned, is that they're small enough to go undetected, or if detected, not worth taking.  

I have found that my multis with regular or small containers at the end have a pretty good shelf life because I don't have lots of people regularly looking for the final to draw unwanted attention.  That's a surprising by-product of the type of cache that I was unaware of when I hid my first cache (a multi) and it's still in play.  It's the micro stages that have occasionally gone MIA but not the final, which is an ammo can.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
2 hours ago, coachstahly said:

I have found that my multis with regular or small containers at the end have a pretty good shelf life because I don't have lots of people regularly looking for the final to draw unwanted attention.  That's a surprising by-product of the type of cache that I was unaware of when I hid my first cache (a multi) and it's still in play.  It's the micro stages that have occasionally gone MIA but not the final, which is an ammo can.

I have three multis and the longer two (10 & 11 stages) have averaged out to only about six finds a year, and the shorter (two stage) multi has had about 20 finds a year. But the two stage multi is also part of a cycle power trail, so gets more visitors. In comparison, a neighbouring traditional to the two stage multi, has had 42 visitors a year. Two of them I have never had any trouble with the containers, but one has given me problems. Tree trimmers found it once, it fell out of the tree another time and was run over by a lawn mower, and then when I left a micro, a bison tube, to replace the small cache, that disappeared. I am suspicious a bird took it. I checked one of the caches I have had no problems with, for the first time in five years, and the small sized (on the larger size) container and its log were still in pristine condition.

7 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I have three multis and the longer two (10 & 11 stages) have averaged out to only about six finds a year, and the shorter (two stage) multi has had about 20 finds a year. But the two stage multi is also part of a cycle power trail, so gets more visitors. In comparison, a neighbouring traditional to the two stage multi, has had 42 visitors a year.

Yours are doing well then by comparison. One of my multis (GC77C75) was last found just on two years ago and another three are now a year or more since their last find. My most recent one (GC8JGWN), published in January, has had a total of four finds. But my traditionals don't fare much better either, with my latest one (GC8TAFN), published over two months ago, having had five finds. I reckon any of my caches that get to a double-figures find count in their lifetime are doing remarkably well!

And for the record, those three I provided links to are all regular-sized containers: a plastic ammo can, a 1.5 litre steel cash box and a 1 litre Sistema. None of those pesky micros in the bush around here! As I've mentioned previously, only 24% of the caches in this region are micros and they're outnumbered by both smalls (44%) and regulars (26%).

Edited by barefootjeff

"Hide what you like to find."

I have numerous regular sized caches, mostly lonely, because I like to find great caches in amazing, remote locations.

I like Puzzle caches that recognize the extra effort by hiding a nice cache. This is rare. My latest cache requires not only a solving a (not too hard) puzzle, but a short hike down a good trail. Hence, it's only been found once since it was posted three months ago. (GC8R87T )

But small / micros don't have to be boring. I was envious of the numerous logs acquired by some pretty boring urban smalls and micros. I decided to hide a few just to see a log now and then. But I still try to follow the "Surprise and Delight" rule, whether urban or rural, even LPC's can bring a smile. Heres a few of my small/micros. GC8KD7G  GC8PNP3 GC8GTDC

spider.jpg

orange.jpg

taco1.jpg

taco2.jpg

19 hours ago, lee737 said:

We try and only hide micro's when there is no other way to have a cache in that location that stands a fighting chance of not being muggled in a week..... saying that, our micros are still big enough to have pencils in them. Micros can be lots of fun, the nano-on-a-locomotive-needle-in-a-haystack ones, not so much.....

Or a nano on a Howitzer. I've given up on the one in Mayfield. Lately I've noticed a lot of those guns are being removed. Whew.

6 hours ago, colleda said:
On 8/11/2020 at 5:32 AM, lee737 said:

Micros can be lots of fun, the nano-on-a-locomotive-needle-in-a-haystack ones, not so much.....

Or a nano on a Howitzer.

I once found a micro on a war-memorial tank. I spent a bit of time searching for a needle-in-a-haystack hide, and then reread the description. I noticed that it specifically said that it was a hide-a-key cache. So I looked where I would expect a hide-a-key on a vehicle, and found the cache quickly.

Some of my favorites have looked like needle-in-a-haystack hides at first, but after a little thought, they haven't been nearly so tedious.

48 minutes ago, niraD said:

I once found a micro on a war-memorial tank. I spent a bit of time searching for a needle-in-a-haystack hide, and then reread the description. I noticed that it specifically said that it was a hide-a-key cache. So I looked where I would expect a hide-a-key on a vehicle, and found the cache quickly.

Some of my favorites have looked like needle-in-a-haystack hides at first, but after a little thought, they haven't been nearly so tedious.

I've found several hide-a-keys on tanks.  One took me  3 visits and a hint (narrowing it down to one side of the tank),  another took a half an hour or so, one I found withing a few minutes and one I DNFd.    I also found a nano on a train engine.  It was hidden such that it was impossible to actually see and could only be found by "feel".  That one took 4-5 attempts and well over 3 hours of searching.  

• Surprised 1
6 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I've found several hide-a-keys on tanks.  One took me  3 visits and a hint (narrowing it down to one side of the tank),  another took a half an hour or so, one I found withing a few minutes and one I DNFd.    I also found a nano on a train engine.  It was hidden such that it was impossible to actually see and could only be found by "feel".  That one took 4-5 attempts and well over 3 hours of searching.  

I actually enjoy searching for blinkers and other nano-caches on public art (usually sculptures, but not always). It gives me an excuse to really examine the public art.

"Excuse me.....why are you laying on the tracks under that caboose ?"        "Oh... just looking for a blinkie..."

We spent numerous times looking for a micro under a caboose next to a post office.

Post offices pretty busy with inquisitive folks.  Tried waiting until after hours, and now we're "hanging out" at a closed post office.

Cops stopped one night.   Can't remember if we ever found it.  :)

9 hours ago, colleda said:

Or a nano on a Howitzer. I've given up on the one in Mayfield. Lately I've noticed a lot of those guns are being removed. Whew.

I recently found a tiny nano on a gun, but only because I got some help from a previous finder. They had found the nano on the ground and knew where it was now, because they rehid it. I had had a DNF of that before, and I VERY much doubt I would have found it without help. It was hidden out of sight where only a finger could go, if you worked out there was somewhere for the finger to feel in behind that other piece of metal hiding this section - this was not obvious., and could be missed even then. Many other places to check too. Unbelievable shocking hide. Not keen on gun hides.

Took me several visits to find a cache on a submarine too, and I think after numerous visits I only finally located it because someone had not returned the cache as deeply as the CO intended. Another finder suggested they couldn't reach in deep enough, because their arm wasn't long though. I suspect that was also why I could never find the cache (until the nice person didn't return the cache so deeply:D); I simply couldn't reach it. Guessing the CO has a lonnnng arm.

Edited by Goldenwattle

It seems like folks just aren't trying as hard to hide big caches. When I started caching in Germany in 2007, if you hid a micro in the woods, you could expect people to grumble in the logs that there was plenty of space to hide a regular sized cache. Now it seems micros in the woods are par for the course. It's disappointing.

In an attempt to swing the pendulum the other way, I had a series of nine ammo cans in the woods that proved to be quite popular. I hid all of them 20 meters or less from the path. I had to move one when the foresters logged the area - and I shifted it closer to the path than it had been before. At the end, none went missing, and the series got great logs and favorite points. I don't know how many folks it influenced to hide bigger caches, but I hope at least a few.

I'm going to hide an ammo can or two within walking distance of my local DC Metro station as further demonstration that it's possible. We'll see how it goes.

• Love 3
On 8/12/2020 at 8:25 AM, niraD said:

I actually enjoy searching for blinkers and other nano-caches on public art (usually sculptures, but not always). It gives me an excuse to really examine the public art.

There are a few public art pieces downtown.  One of them, a metal horse constructed by welding other metal items together, used to have a nano on it (before the art was moved to a different location).  When I was searching for the cache s guy walked by and said, "pretty cool, isn't it".    I could examine it closely because it doesn't appear odd to closely examine artwork.  

On the other hand, the film container stuck up the backside of a wood carving of a bear required an examination that still might have attracted some attention. 

• Funny 3
8 hours ago, hzoi said:

I'm going to hide an ammo can or two within walking distance of my local DC Metro station as further demonstration that it's possible. We'll see how it goes.

I hid an ammo can just outside the square mile of downtown, on private property (with permission), just off the sidewalk but well protected and camouflaged by juniper bushes, only to have it come up missing in just over 7 months.  Good luck to you.

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

On the other hand, the film container stuck up the backside of a wood carving of a bear required an examination that still might have attracted some attention. 

I recall finding a small-size container that was hidden similarly in a public sculpture. I forget offhand what kind of animal it was a sculpture of though...

7 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

There are a few public art pieces downtown.  One of them, a metal horse constructed by welding other metal items together, used to have a nano on it (before the art was moved to a different location).  When I was searching for the cache s guy walked by and said, "pretty cool, isn't it".    I could examine it closely because it doesn't appear odd to closely examine artwork.  

There's a horse like that in Calgary. I recall seeing it on a walk about town and thinking "What a great hide for a nano". I didn't realise at the time there was a cache somewhere on it but our luggage was still in Ft Worth, with our GPSrs in it. The luggage caught up 4 days later as we were about to leave Banff.

10 hours ago, colleda said:

There's a horse like that in Calgary. I recall seeing it on a walk about town and thinking "What a great hide for a nano". I didn't realise at the time there was a cache somewhere on it but our luggage was still in Ft Worth, with our GPSrs in it. The luggage caught up 4 days later as we were about to leave Banff.

Never put your car keys or your GPS in checked luggage.   I did that once (car keys, not my GPS) on a flight back home from Beijing.  The airport I flew into (and my car) were still an hour from home.  Fortunately the airline was kind enough to put me up in a hotel until my luggage arrived about 8 hours later.  

1 minute ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Never put your car keys or your GPS in checked luggage.   I did that once (car keys, not my GPS) on a flight back home from Beijing.  The airport I flew into (and my car) were still an hour from home.  Fortunately the airline was kind enough to put me up in a hotel until my luggage arrived about 8 hours later.  

They're usually in my carry on. I can't remember why I put them in my luggage. Doh!