Jeep TB Revival?... Hoping So...

INTIMIDAT3R

Found this in a cache last weekend... see photo.

Jeep 4x4 #196, TBH2NT

It's not a Jeep, but it has the Jeep tracking number on a paper tag and a note... see photo.

It needs a Jeep makeover. I've got 2 yellow Jeeps arriving in the mail today and I've got heavy duty tags made for it. I'll post photos when it's done.

20200808_123550.thumb.jpg.09391fb6948fa1f24802fa01a03fb2f9.jpg

Edited by INTIMIDAT3R

After going through the tons of pesky "took it to..."... log pages, it seems it went "missing" in '05.

The TO just "resurrected"  their original Jeep with a few others at some event.  Apparently the TO deleted all that in-between stuff...

Simply the tracking code placed on another item.   Nothing new.

If you think your others went bye-bye quick, wait until you put out a jeep. 

Until they log in, there's probably a bunch who'd think they struck gold.    :D

6 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

After going through the tons of pesky "took it to..."... log pages, it seems it went "missing" in '05.

The TO just "resurrected"  their original Jeep with a few others at some event.  Apparently the TO deleted all that in-between stuff...

Simply the tracking code placed on another item.   Nothing new.

If you think your others went bye-bye quick, wait until you put out a jeep. 

Until they log in, there's probably a bunch who'd think they struck gold.    :D

Yep, I've thought about that too. I even made new tags for them and added a note on the back of one. LOL

20200808_195941.thumb.jpg.519de5903e39273cffb249914a2efa77.jpg

• Surprised 1

Here's the new Jeep...

Yes, I know someone will probably bogart it soon after I release it again so I actually made a duplicate to keep for myself.

On a side note, printable Shrinky Dink sheets make for great tags since they shrink to 1/3 their original size and get 9 times thicker.

I'll probably give this refreshed Jeep TB to my Dad, Muffkin42 x 2, so he can take it to a Premium Cache somewhere.

967ac566-2b89-4840-be11-1e889b49c9c8.thumb.jpg.8f259c5b687e3c1e726b35c81ee8ab65.jpg

Edited by INTIMIDAT3R
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, INTIMIDAT3R said:

printable Shrinky Dink sheets make for great tags

I'd never heard of these things. Do you need an inkjet printer, or will they work on a laser printer? I can see there being an issue with the heat if they go through a laser one. Do they need to be sealed with something after shrinking to stop the letters from coming off? Have you seen one of these tags after they've been out in the wild for some time to see how they've survived?

Apologies for all the questions, I'm seeing lots of possibilities for a product like this. At around $3.50 per sheet (from what I've found so far) in Australia, they are a bit on the pricey side but still cheaper than engraving aluminium (which is what I was looking to do at the moment). 

4 hours ago, Unit473L said:

I'd never heard of these things. Do you need an inkjet printer, or will they work on a laser printer? I can see there being an issue with the heat if they go through a laser one. Do they need to be sealed with something after shrinking to stop the letters from coming off? Have you seen one of these tags after they've been out in the wild for some time to see how they've survived?

Apologies for all the questions, I'm seeing lots of possibilities for a product like this. At around $3.50 per sheet (from what I've found so far) in Australia, they are a bit on the pricey side but still cheaper than engraving aluminium (which is what I was looking to do at the moment). 

For long-term durability, craft plastic is terrible.  It seems perfect until it's been out of your hands in the wilds for a few months, then utterly fails.  But that depends on a lot of factors.  By then, other cachers tend to place the whole shredded mess into a plastic bag with slips of paper with the Tracking Code and other identifying info written on them.

Places like Amazon.com have individual metal tags (dog collar tags) for as little as US $3.50, double-sided with custom text on each side with free shipping.  Aluminum tags don't get brittle and disintegrate.  I picked a shape that looked the least like a "dog collar" pet tag.  My Geocaching vanity avatar TB has one  (in addition to its actual Trackable Tag), and it's held up well, but of course the plan is that it travels with me and never soaks in some old rusty can of water.  Mine is a painted tag that's laser engraved, so it may scratch off, but so far it's fine. I previously bought similar ones that are deeply engraved.  I don't want to replace tags all the time, so that's an option.  There are entire threads about durable tags, and how to attach them, here in the Fori.

For photos, I use the "Reference Number" so people can look it up but not make a Discovery Log from just a photo, and it's mainly for the chance of getting it returned when I lose the item somewhere.  The art of using "Reference Numbers" vs. associated "Tracking Codes" is a whole other discussion. ;)

IMG_5427a.jpg  IMG_5429a.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Unit473L said:

Inkjet printer for sure. The tags I made seem pretty stout. The ink soaks into it and doesn't rub off.

Search for Inkjet Printer Shrinky Dink sheets.

I know this is an old thread, but on the same note.  I have one of the green 2006 TB jeeps (*tracking code removed by mod*) I'd like to return to service.  We found it years ago when the first round of grandkids where into caching.  Unfortunately, It appears we forgot to log the find (no clue where we got it),  the kids lost interest, and it's just been sitting here waiting on the next round of grandkids to be entertained.  I thought it be simple, just log the TB into a new cache ...  Nope, someone did the same thing as mentioned here.  Placed a homemade tag on another vehicle and sent it on its way literally around the world.  It's currently vacationing in the Mediterranean. 

So what are my options?  I was thinking maybe assigning another TB tag to it and sending it on a mission to find its IMPOSTER.  But I'm afraid two TB tags on it would only confuse the issue more.

Attaching a pic to show I actually have the original TB and tag.  I also have more unused tags and another round of grandkids ready to place and track his travels. 

Any thoughts?

Toadally Chillin

TBJeep.jpg

Edited by Toadally Chillin
Added pic with out tracking code
  • Surprised 1

Little frustrating that there is already a proxy roaming around, but that's one of the many risks TB's face when out travelling.

What I'd do in your situation is to message both the owner of the TB and whoever currently holds the proxy and let them know you have the original. My also be worth adding a "Discovered" log onto the TB.

Then it's up to whoever responds first. The owner's response should carry more weight since it's theirs. They may ask for the original to be posted home and leave the proxy travelling, or they may want the original to go out again and have the proxy sent home. Either might not respond, or neither might respond.

If neither gives an answer, I'd just continue hanging on to it for a bit longer, and add the TB to your Watch list. If the proxy gets put into a cache that is archived due to vandalism or destruction, that's a good cue to re-release the original.

I wouldn't have both out at the same time - like you said, it'd cause confusion. And possibly trigger the TB being locked.

16 hours ago, Toadally Chillin said:

I have one of the green 2006 TB jeeps (*tracking code removed by mod*) I'd like to return to service. 

We found it years ago when the first round of grandkids where into caching. 

Unfortunately, It appears we forgot to log the find (no clue where we got it),  the kids lost interest, and it's just been sitting here waiting on the next round of grandkids to be entertained. 

I thought it be simple, just log the TB into a new cache ...  Nope, someone did the same thing as mentioned here.

Placed a homemade tag on another vehicle and sent it on its way literally around the world.  It's currently vacationing in the Mediterranean. 

So what are my options?  I was thinking maybe assigning another TB tag to it and sending it on a mission to find its IMPOSTER.  But I'm afraid two TB tags on it would only confuse the issue more.

Jeeps were a while ago. 

The TO themselves may have decided to send out a replacement.  They'd probably enjoy the original back.  :)

- "Someone" dreaming-up an unseen, identical tracking code w/ jeep improbable...  

The "replacement" maker might have contacted the TO that it was "missing" and were given the tracking code.

If the replacement maker isn't the TO I wouldn't contact them.  "Someone" that interested will probably leave theirs out and just keep the jeep.

Nice you want to do the right thing now, but if you don't get a response, you could look for an Event in the area, and ask someone to take it.

I'd probably throw it in the circular file, or drop in a box and forgetaboutit.

The proxy ever turns up missing, that "someone" might just put out another...    :D

• Helpful 1