Travel Bug and Geocoin Dilema

INTIMIDAT3R

I've got these in my inventory...

"Little Swan River (MN)" Red Jeep TB, TB1NP3Q

In Honor of Lt Cmdr Jane E Lanham, TB3HGQD

The Jeep I found at a garage sale on June 29th... $5

The geocoin I found on eBay. It was one the contents of an abandoned storage locker... $13

I paid for them so am I wrong to keep them and continue visiting caches or do I send them on their way?

9691fa51-c307-41f6-9b6d-b30a2ea8e757_l.jpg.806c500e251d2bb82013633ae21a112c.jpg

0f98d589-3d15-49ab-b4fc-5b8576b0ecdc_l.jpg.84bf6c3fba85fe048990501f2bfa731b.jpg

Edited by INTIMIDAT3R
  • Surprised 1
1 hour ago, INTIMIDAT3R said:

I've got these in my inventory...

"Little Swan River (MN)" Red Jeep TB1NPQ3

In Honor of Lt Cmdr Jane E Lanham, TB3HGQD

The Jeep I found at a garage sale on June 29th... $5

The geocoin I found on eBay. It was one the contents of an abandoned storage locker... $13

I paid for them so am I wrong to keep them and continue visiting caches or do I send them on their way?

That's odd, the little swan Jeep is still listed in a cache since 2013.    You're "visiting" the other for some time...

You don't think somethings odd about finding a trackable missing since '13 at a garage sale ?

Both TOs probably long gone ( by records) , but they're not yours.

As a Veteran, I'm not too happy about the disrespect paid the coin...  That TO sent it out for a reason...

We see swiped trackables at flea markets and ebay all the time.   Sometimes if we spot the code we tell the owner where we saw it.

And we even bought a few, returning them to their owners, who were tickled.  Some even paid us back.

• Upvote 1

My first instinct would be to try and contact the owner and see what they would like done. Assuming they respond, I'd figure that they'd either want it put back in to play, or have changed their mind about sending it out into the world and would like it back.

Though if it's been a long time since they logged in, it then presents a double conundrum: what if I contact them, wait a year, put it back in to play and then they respond saying they want it back? I'd include an "I think it's reasonable to wait X months, after Y date if you haven't replied I will [do your preferred action]".

• Upvote 1

The original owners are long gone. I've tried contacting them and no response.

Being a Veteran myself, I feel an obligation of hanging onto the coin and continue having it visit places.

As soon as I get a red Jeep to make a copy, I'll be releasing the Jeep back into the wild cuz I don't want to be "one of those people" who keep travel bugs.

Edited by INTIMIDAT3R
  • Love 1