New notification not working?

BuckyBoyEcht

5 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

I notice that the two posters at the top are from Germany, again.  Seems that German ISPs have been the locus for this problem lately, giving members there the most trouble.

I have my own mailserver and no notification mails were received or rejected according to the the serverlogs.

I'm in Belgium but that doesn't matter. My mailserver is in Germany but since it's managed by me and not a mail/internet provider that shouldn't matter either. Nobody filters mail on my behalf so all mail that is send to my mailserver is or rejected or received/filtered and everything is logged. No notifications arrived at the server. Notifications from the forums did and were received as usual, PQ mails were also received as usual.

5 hours ago, BuckyBoyEcht said:

...the topic starter (me) isn't from Germany, I am Dutch (and other Dutch geocachers do'n't receive notification e-mails as well...)

Sorry about that.  Looked very (too) quickly at your profile page, saw the big "die vermessung für das feurerross..." and ... now I see most recent finds were in NL, though some in Westfalen as well.

Still getting all new cache notifications here.  Several new ones this morning.  So they are getting out in our direction at least.

I went through the "trash" folder on my IMAP folder and looked at the headers of several messages I received from GC in the last month.

It seems there are 4 mailservers:

Received: from mail01.Groundspeak.com (mail01.Groundspeak.com [63.251.163.224])

Received: from mail02.Groundspeak.com (mail02.Groundspeak.com [63.251.163.225])

Received: from mail03.Groundspeak.com (mail03.Groundspeak.com [63.251.163.228])

Received: from mail04.Groundspeak.com (mail04.Groundspeak.com [63.251.163.229])

I have recent mails from all of them over the last few days. Forum notifications, PQ's and new cache notifications are spread over all 4 servers although I see only one mail (forum) on Aug 7th and Aug 1st from mail2

mail1 only accounts for 52 mails, Mail2 - 151  mail3 - 188 and mail4 - 198  since July 15th.

multiple reports on a dutch facebook group about not receiving notifications either.

During the last 4 days, 17 caches where published within my 30km zone for which I normally would receive notification. Only 1 actually I got send a notification of.

newsletters, mails from caches on bookmarklists and watchlist en TB discoveries seems to all be send as they should be. Just the notifications seem to be broken.

14 hours ago, on4bam said:

Seems to working again. Got a notification a few hours ago and another one just now. Looking at newly published caches and distance from home it looks to be correct (nothing very close to me).

a series of 25 caches was published today all within my notification zone, but I didn't get any notifications. So it seems it is still not owrking

I got one this morning but it's hard to check as almost all new caches are out of radius (temporary set to 70Km).

In order to check what or where the problem is logs on both sides are needed. At my end no notification mails were rejected, filtered or even presented to my mail server. It's safe to say they were not send at GC's end.

ISP's can have strange settings. I had to work out a problem with a Belgian provider last year because mails from 2 domains on my server were not received by their customers. The logs at my end stated "successful delivery" and yet recipients didn't get them. It took a month of sending logs from my server to them (my first mails were not received by their tech dept. either :wacko:) before it was finally resolved. No feedback what went wrong though.

In short, nothing we can do. Just report and wait for a fix.

1 hour ago, BuckyBoyEcht said:

a new cache (https://coord.info/GC8XFQ6) was published, well within my 20 kilometer range for new notifications, have not received a notification, strangely I have also set up a "new cache notification" for new caches in a town in Switzerland that I visit regularly, those notifications seem to work without a problem

Mmmmm... could it be that editing the notification and saving it "reboots" the mailsending?

It's after I changed the distance that I received notifications again.

Same problems here.

Notifications on new caches are not working for me in Germany.

Strangely enough I get them for my second homezone in Denmark.

Logs on my own caches come through.

So are logs from caches on my watchlist.

I am on gmail which never caused any problems so far.

Have reported it to the support.

Also tried, what on4bam writes about changing the distance.

Let's see.

Perhaps it is not a mail-notification-problem, but a problem if a german reviewer publishes a new geocache?

I changed the distance from 30km to 31km, but got no notification for a new geocache in 1.7km distance.

Logs from watchlists are coming through, so it seems to be the same problem here.

46 minutes ago, Memau said:

Perhaps it is not a mail-notification-problem, but a problem if a german reviewer publishes a new geocache?

I changed the distance from 30km to 31km, but got no notification for a new geocache in 1.7km distance.

Logs from watchlists are coming through, so it seems to be the same problem here.

there are also reports from the Netherlands.

I spoke 2 other cachers this morning who also didn't receive notification for the new caches that where published in our neighbourhood (This one and 24 others: GC8XQN6 )

23 minutes ago, PnavE_81 said:

there are also reports from the Netherlands.

And Belgium....

In another thread the location is N-America.

I just downloaded newly published caches via API in GSAK and it seems there still are notifications missing.

I now created a new notification Traditional, 20Km radius and found it. Within 5 minutes I have received 3 notifications already.

Edit. New notification disabled... to many mails coming in :wacko:

Edited by on4bam

2 hours ago, on4bam said:

It looks like notifications are back to normal here. Just got a bunch of them for trads and multis. Looking at newly published caches on the website none seem to be missing but it's hard to tell as the published date can differ a lot with placed date.

I hope so...but you said the same on sunday, so I'm not getting my hopes up too much ;) :

On 8/9/2020 at 7:56 PM, on4bam said:

Seems to working again. Got a notification a few hours ago and another one just now. Looking at newly published caches and distance from home it looks to be correct (nothing very close to me).

On the other hand...I got a first notification for a new cache as well just now... :)

It might be an intermittent problem. So difficult to say. Testing is easy, make a notification for traditionals in a 50Km range for Found it logs. You'll see them flowing in soon. I used 20 Km and had to shut the notification down a short while later.

So far I haven't seen notifications for new caches after my previous post but they seem to come in batches (as published by a reviewer).

Since we're not FTF chasers it doesn't matter too much, we use the notifications just to be made aware there's something new so we can tag it in GSAK and go after it later when the first rush calms down B)

As far as I can see, I've been getting all the new cache and log notifications, and I got an email in under a minute for the PQ I ran this morning, but for two weeks running now I haven't received the newsletter. It's definitely enabled in my settings:

image.png.3f61c74a9a3d8d4fb6231c2837527470.png

and my service provider's spam filter logs don't show it as having been blocked (in any case I have all geocaching.com email white-listed) so I can only presume it's fallen into a crack somewhere in the system.