Garmin Etrex Legend base maps GONE!

RBARKC

Hi, I realize that the model is severely outdated, and almost 20 years old, but it serves its purpose well. 

I have had a Garmin Etrex Legend since they first came out. About a year ago I accidentally put it on storage and it's buried in there somewhere. So, I picked up a used one off of eBay. It is functional; finds satellites, gets a position, all of the menus work, etc.. 

I was able to see the streets around my location just fine at first. However, now it does not display any streets, POIs, or anything. In the lower left hand corner it says 'no maps' (see image). I did not load any maps and there are none available to choose from in the maps menu (see image). 

If I update the firmware (currently 3.70) will the base maps be reloaded, or is there another way to load maps? I don't want to to spend money on a cable if it's not going to do me any good. 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

iMarkup_20200805_202514.jpg

Edited by RBARKC
Added picture
12 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

GPSrChive > eTrex Legend > Firmware has a 'Marine POI Database' available for that unit in case the original mapping is deleted when the user sends additional maps to the unit with MapSource.

Which maps were previously loaded? Do you know?

I presume it was just the base maps, but I really don't know.

I don't need anything fancy. Just going to start doing geocaching again and use it to mark hunting and fishing spots, and some very light hiking and camping (nothing major back woods or anything like that). 

I am fortunate enough to live about 15 miles from Garmin headquarters, but I don't know if they still have a walk in customer service center, if they're even open during covid if they do have one, or if they would even touch a nearly 20 year old model without charging a silly amount of money. 

How do you send additional maps to the unit with mapsource, and where do you get the map files? 

10 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

There is also a 'City POI Database' available at GPSrChive > eTrex Venture > Firmware, but I can not be certain it will work with your unit. If you try it and it loads OK, please let us know!

I will give this a try thanks! I first need to get a cable and that's going to take a week or so according to Amazon. 

I'll update once I know more. 

Thanks! 

17 minutes ago, RBARKC said:

How do you send additional maps to the unit with mapsource, and where do you get the map files? 

That unit only has 8mb memory. You are not going to send very useful or modern maps to that device. 

You will likely just be sending POIs and waypoints to this old timer. 

Edited by Atlas Cached
  • Upvote 1

I hate to take this approach, but if you still use a GPS, you might consider an upgrade. Garmin is running a sale on the eTrex 22x priced at $150. That's a good deal if all you need is a base model. Plenty of storage and expandable with an sd card, better mapping capabilities, better screen, direct GPX support, and modern USB interface with mass storage mode makes it easier to transfer data to and from your device.

Exactly what above poster said,

Hats off for managing too keep such an oldie active, but you are probably going to too much trouble than is worth.

I had a Legend Classic once. Basemaps are not updated by updating firmware as far as I remember, those are at a separate memory space.

You have to use Mapsource and load a basemap file of your choice (which is probably floating around the Internet somewhere with dubious legality).

The USB cable I ordered came in, but thr Garmin Etrex update software does not recognize it. Will play with it more. 

In the mean time I picked up a Garmin Oregon 450 for a great price. I will see how I like it, using it for geocaching, fishing, and hunting. If I get back into geocaching enough I will upgrade to something new. 

Thank you everyone for the help.